Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arnie13

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to yell at other posters, I'd like to yell at whoever had the idiotic idea to screw up a user friendly site. I have seen things like this happen elsewhere & when you get into it & find answers, you usually find out that someone who doesn't have a clue what users want is the one who is in charge of making changes.

I don't think I'm the only one who is angry to have my favorite site destroyed.

But I don't for a minute expect the changes users want to come back in easily used formats or they wouldn't have so royally screwed up the TCM site in the first place.

It appears to me that the TCM site is now targeted at selling DVD's & other merchadising, not providing easily available information about their programming. If TCM cared more about providing information than selling stuff, they wouldn't have set the new site up they way they have. That's JMO from years of experience in seeing changes happen in various places & eventually finding out what really was behind the changes.

Edited by: spunkylubbock on Mar 11, 2011 2:16 AM

I'm also not liking the new design of the schedule. It now takes more time for me to figure out what I want to watch. I shouldn't have to click on a link to find out what the movie is about, who's in it and how long it is.

I also don't care about reviews of films. I want to make up my own mind about a film. There are tons of films that I like that others hate and can't stand lots of films that are critically acclaimed. I should have no pre-concieved ideas about a film before I watch it.

To add some moderation to the (overly) heated proceedings here...

I'm perfectly fine with the new look of the website itself, once people get used to it I think they'll come around. The new design seems very user friendly to me. There were complaints about the absence of future show times but I've found them on several pages in the database - seems like a problem that will soon enough be ironed out. But I agree that there is little reason to change the former system of presenting the schedule which everyone here clearly liked a lot. Glad to hear the suggest a movie page is being worked on; it seemed like TCM was using many of our suggestions and I would be disappointed to see that feature disappear.

Please keep in mind that posting your concerns about the upgrade is ok as long as you don't violate the code of conduct. Several posts had to be taken out and I don't want to see this thread locked. If you find something "technical" that needs to be addressed, please post it here:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=158621&tstart=0

Also, to remind everyone:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

-We?ll explore an ?expand all? option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks

Changes of this magnitude do not happen overnight. Thanks everyone again for being patient through this process.

-Renee

Ok, TCM Web Admin, I'll try not to get my panties in a knot. (Isn't that a great expression? )

"However" (you knew that was coming) - another problem...maybe someone has already mentioned this one: it used to be, I could think "Hey, I'd really like to see (fill in movie title here). Wonder if TCM's going to show it anytime soon?"

Then I could just key in the film title on the "search" field, and voila, the title (or titles) would pop up on their own screen. I'd select the specific one I wanted (sometimes there'd be more than one, if there had been a remake etc.) and all the info about the film would come up, including the date it would be aired . (If it was not going to aired within a couple of months or so, it would say so. )

Then I could click the " remind me" button, and lo, all the dates would pop up. If I wanted, I could click all of them for reminders.

Now, if I don't know the exact date a film is coming up, I have to take the time to go through the whole month's schedule. Case in point: *Caught* . (Wow, I'm dying to see this, Robert Ryan, James Mason, and Barbara Bel Geddes ! rare noir ! )

So I know it's playing this month, I know it's an "Employee's Pick". But when? When I go to the "Employee's Picks" article, it lists the films, including *Caught* , but not when it will be playing.

The old system, where I'd just key in the title, would have immediately told me the time and date.

Please tell me they're fixing this, if only so I can unknot my panties.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 11, 2011 9:44 AM

Misswonderly, FYI Caught is showing at 10:15 PM on Monday, March 21st, with its running time listed at 88 minutes.

I retrieved this information from the March complete schedule in the old format, which I'd copied as a Word document before it was zapped from the TCM website. This is one perfect example of the sort of problem that these inane scheduling format changes have caused, and I'm glad to know that they may soon be corrected and the old schedules restored.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Ok, TCM Web Admin, I'll try not to get my panties in a knot. (Isn't that a great expression? ).

>

> Please tell me they're fixing this, if only so I can unknot my panties.

Many years ago, a friend sent me a note (post office-before e-mail) on a note card with a thong **** from the back (not being worn, lol) with a big knot in the strap going up. The printed note inside said:

>*I hope I didn't put your panties into a knot..*

It was a very good laugh! And then you had to close the card to see that pic again, for now you're wondering how did they do that?? LOL

Anyhoo

h4. Was the CFU just a plot to try out the new format?

I started there over a year ago, but forgotten all the little settings, so I don't get back there. Prefer this messageboard for reading/writing. I think of this forum is my social network.

I dunno. There has been such a rush on the part of so many sites to upgrade and change, I guess mostly to the 3G and 4G networking.. (btw, TCM- $2.99 for the app?! Yeesh)

-Charlotte

Okay MissWonderly,

Did you read the post directly under your new post this morning? Just curious.

Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:23 AM by the TCM Web Administrator.

You and everyone else should be posting your suggestions, comments and or problems you have with the new format change on the Technical Issues Forum. They have a rather large thread there now with all sorts of complaints. See the admins message right below yours this morning.

This is the "official" thread the Admins are using to answer everyone's concerns.

Hope this helps.

*The old system, where I'd just key in the title, would have immediately told me the time and date.*

*Please tell me they're fixing this, if only so I can unknot my panties.*

MsW,

From the sounds of things, you (and many others) should be to "unknot your panties".

If you are referring to the "Remind Me" button on a film's database page, that problem has been posted here a few times and in the tech forum both under its own thread and in the *Problems with Upgrade" thread.

From reading Renee's post from earlier this morning, it does look like the tech team has been made aware of the problem and working on it.

The "Remind Me" button on the daily schedule is there but you have to press the "expand' button to the right of the film title to see it. It seems to only list the current time that the film is showing and not multiple showings (if there are multiple showings). That problem, too, has been raised in the "Problems with Upgrade thread" and the techs have been made aware of it.

If you were talking about some other "Remind Me" button, my apologies in advance.

I cannot tell if this was addressed before - there are pages of commentary on this topic! But, the old version left my schedule set to my time zone...

I'm on PST and I want to keep it that way when I log in to check out the schedule. Please don't default everything to EST - at least give us a check box or something to let us pick a time zone.

Thanks TCM - I'm getting used to the new format - it's a bit too flashy with all of the drop-down "expanded" stuff, but whatever. Remember, when it comes to websites KISS - keep it simple, stupid.

rey, baby, I did read it. That's why I directly addressed Renee, TCM Web Admin, regarding the knotted panties/overly disgruntled poster issue, and how we disgruntled ones need to keep a lid on it (or am I mixing my metaphors? )

I will go to that technical issues thread, but you know what? If they'd thought this one was redundant, they would have locked it by now. I see this as the "venting" thread about it, and the other as the serious "tech" thread.

I do think it's interesting that in the space of 48 hours there are 11 pages on this thread ! That's more action than the most controversial thread topic hitherto (since I've been posting here, anyway.)

Just testing the new format. :):( :| :P :x :D

Seems to be a little slower.

testing-testing-123.jpg

Well that no longer works, how does one post photos? The old way in which I forgot?

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 11, 2011 12:17 PM

lynn, thanks, but your suggestion (which I have checked out) is all very well, but it doesn't address the problem of just quickly checking out the date and time of the movie I want to see.

The "reminder" button (which I did find, thank you) is a related but separate matter.

However, when one compares these problems to what has just happened in Japan, they do seem trivial. Must keep things in perspective.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 11, 2011 12:20 PM

*lynn, thanks, but your suggestion (which I have checked out) is all very well, but it doesn't address the problem of just quickly checking out the date and time of the movie I want to see.*

But in the old system wouldn't you have typed in the title in the search function (not the search function for the message boards but the search function on the banner) and that would have taken you to the database page for that film with the film listings in the right hand corner and the Remind Button directly below?

That still works. You can type the film title in the new search function located in the upper right hand corner next to the banner. The default is set to Database. That will bring up the database page for a film and will have the upcoming times (if any) that the film is playing.

But, it is missing the Remind Button. Which hopefully is coming back soon, very soon.

Well, lynn baby, you were right and I was wrong. I'd already done all that, keyed in the title in the database search field from the TCM home page, etc., BUT ! was so used to the old place where the airing date used to be- which was kind of in its own little field - that I didn't even notice the BIG DATE and TIME at the TOP of the PAGE !! Duh...

Clearly I need to cruise around the new site and make friends with it before knotting the underwear.

ps -hey, I noticed the "wallpaper" on the message boards is gone. I hope whoever designed that doesn't have hurt feelings. Pretty, but too busy.

post deleted to maintain some sort of civility

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 11, 2011 2:57 PM

Why the Daily Schedule format change? It's now much-less informative at a glance. The only addition is the Leonard Maltin reviews. Does anyone really want them? Anyone?

TCM - This is a no-brainer. Put it back the way it was. We're really not interested in Maltin and your relationship with him.

From Renee aka TCMWebAdmin earlier this (Friday, March 11th) morning:

Also, to remind everyone:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

-We'll explore an "expand all" option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks

Changes of this magnitude do not happen overnight. Thanks everyone again for being patient through this process.

-Renee

> {quote:title=ILoveGinger wrote:}{quote}

> Why the Daily Schedule format change? It's now much-less informative at a glance. The only addition is the Leonard Maltin reviews. Does anyone really want them? Anyone?

>

Who's Leonard Maltin? Why should I like movies he likes?

The best movie reviewers are right here on this board.

As a real fan of TCM and its website, I was also appalled to see the new format for the schedule.

You have taken an excellent feature of your website and given it over to a very imcompetent web page designer. I am NEVER interested in what Leonard Maltin has to say about ANY movie. In my opinion, he is the least talented movie reviewer I have ever come across. Your viewers are lovers of movies and very knowledgeable about them, they do not need Mr. Maltin's opinions!

If TCM is trying to "dumb down" its website to attract all those viewers who prefer "amateurish reality shows", I think you are taking the wrong approach. Most of your viewers are happy to have TCM as an alternate to most of the garbage that passes for entertainment on television these days.

I love TCM and I hate to see you regress. Keep up the great programming but fix your website.

Yours truly,

A very disgruntled website visitor

So, Fred, if you were a woman, who (whom?) would you rather date? Ben Mankiewicz or Leonard Maltin ? Which is the lesser of the two evils?

I am pretty much in agreement with Klint, although I would like to add that Maltin is a very, very nice man. It's just that it's completely ridiculous that his opinions should take up space on the schedule page which was formerly occupied by *useful* information, such as cast lists and running time. I suppose there is still some way of obtaining the latter info, but so far all I can say is that clicking the "expand" button produces no results of any kind on my browser.

And, as others have pointed out, the site has become very. . . very. . . slow.

Strange how may web site designers can't (or won't) learn the simple rule: "If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it."

But then, how would these website designers make any money? They make their living by constantly "fixing" things that don't *need* fixing. It is not important to them whether or not their handiwork is used or appreciated, as long as the boss keeps shelling out the money for these "make-work" projects.

This new format is a classic example.

Both of them are certainly lesser (read that not needed), although I wouldn't necessarily call them evil. In the case of Ben at least, you are confusing Nepotism with evil. Who is Leonard's patron saint? Why should I be interested in *his* stars? The only stars that interest me are those who grace those classic (has this marketing tool been trademarked yet?) films which I am watching on TV, provided of course that I can readily find out what is showing, when it is showing, and who is in it, among other things. Right now, this is a huge proviso!