Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

*Don't work on it.*

*Simply flip the BACK switch.*

Considering how much of the overall website has been changed, flipping the BACK switch is likely not an option.

We all hope that TCM Web is listening to our complaints and suggestions regarding the Schedule which has, by far, the most vocal group, followed by the Suggest a Movie fans.

They say they are.

Considering the time and effort involved in the upgrade, going back is likely not an option.

But how TCM works with its fan base to improve the Schedule pages and "Suggest a Movie" as well as these message boards, is likely how TCM will move forward.

So, giving TCM concrete examples of how they can improve not only the Schedule but the way you and everyone else interacts with the entire website would likely be very appreciated.

Just a thought. I understand that people aren't happy and when you read the 11+ pages of this thread (plus the Tech forum threads), TCM Web has to be aware that people aren't happy.

But at some point, can't we stop with the heaping on of meanness and madness and start concentrate on helping TCM Web fix the sections that matter to us most?

Because the idea of week-end long ranting about subjects that have already been written about ad naseum and for some which TCM is currently working on, is just too scary and bone-weary to imagine.

Edited by: lzcutter who will likely regret posting this

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Don't work on it.*

>

> *Simply flip the BACK switch.*

>

> Considering how much of the overall website has been changed, flipping the BACK switch is likely not an option.

>

Why not?

When I try to take a short cut and I drive several miles down a muddy dirt road, and I come to a ?Dead End?, I always go back to the main highway.

Don?t try to tell me that our Webmasters don?t know how to go back to the classic board and Schedule that we had three days ago. If they don?t know how to do it, then they need to be replaced with some professionals.

"Gosh, I have never seen so much nitpicking! Sure they seem to be working on getting the bugs worked out, so lets give them some time."

That's what Microsoft said ... and we got VISTA!

This is the same thing. You know, put whatever you've got out there .... then hope someone will write a "Dummys" book for it!

deg

Before if a movie had a trailer or movie clip the link would take you to that page and those without trailers or clips didn't have a link to click on.

Now they have links no matter what so they have lots of blank pages with no movie clips or trailers.

I am glad to hear that the schedule redesign is a work in progress, because as it stands, it is an atrocity.

Three months at any one time was a major feature. But I'm even more upset about losing the listings once that day has passed. I often looked back to see what had recently screened.

As to Maltin reviews, I cannot think of a less valuable feature. The man's taste is all in his mouth and I would much prefer useful information.

There was nothing wrong with the site the way it was. If you felt a need to give the webfolk something to do, how about having them fill in some of the myriad missing pieces in the film database, so I wouldn't have to leave your site to go to IMDB to get pertinent info. Instead, we get cosmetic changes that have a negative impact on those who USE the site as opposed to those who merely give it an occasional glance.

Please get this sorted out quickly.

RobNY

That's what Microsoft said ... and we got VISTA!

Quite right.

The new changes should have been tested and tested again before being rolled out. It's not like they were going to rake in the bucks by rolling out an early abomination, which is what this new board is.

Are the oversized graphics and truncated posts being addressed?

I used to be able to type in a movie and get not only the information about it, but also whether it was going to be airing on TCM soon and the date it was next airing. (For instance, I would like to know when "The Red Shoes" is next going to air.) What happened to that feature?

Agreed!

And a variation on what you point out (the need for testing, testing, testing) is something I've seen on other large websites/forums -- namely, to *run a parallel "Beta Version," encouraging members to take that version for a spin* and leave their critiques, suggestions, pointing out of bugs or disappointingly executed features, etc. etc. as comments on the "Beta" website.

This permits developers/designers to get helpful feedback FROM USERS before "going live" with the new format.

Getting used to the new format of the schedule and I appreciate it; I basically can find the type of info I'm used to and the Maltin mini-reviews, being generally fair and not totally complimentary, are a good tool to make my viewing decisions.

I hate this new format! The other one was so much easier to use...and as many have said, so many options left out..this is terrible! I like the idea of being able to go back to the classic screen..bad decision TCM

Apparently if you used "smart quotes" in MS Word and paste your text in here, the quotes disappear.

?Testing? ?testing? yup, quotes should be around the first two words, but they disappear; and this glitch is not limited to this forum.

Edited by: scsu1975 on Mar 12, 2011 9:43 AM

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Apparently if you used "smart quotes" in MS Word and paste your text in here, the quotes disappear.

>

> ?Testing? ?testing? yup, quotes should be around the first two words, but they disappear; and this glitch is not limited to this forum.

>

I?ve posted on a lot of different boards, but this is the only one where this happens, and it didn?t start happening until three days ago when some international terrorist infiltrated TCM and wrecked their message board and Schedule section.

I think this is a case where the President of the US should hit the master internet ?Kill? button, and turn it off before any further damage is done.

*"Ive posted on a lot of different boards, but this is the only one where this happens, and it didnt start happening until three days ago when some international terrorist infiltrated TCM and wrecked their message board and Schedule section."* - FredCDobbs

The loss of certain symbols is "new" but pasting from"Word" documents has created problems in the past. Members who participated in the "Programming Challenges" and created their week of a TCM schedule in Word did find problems with the display when pasting it into these Forums.

I use the simple and basic "Notepad" program for composition and have no problems. I am always surprised anyone would use the bloated Word program to compose a message to be pasted in here. But god forbid I be accused of trying to take away one's freedoms (of using Word) if they want by telling them to use Notepad.

And has anyone else noticed that 'hamradio' suddenly went AWOL the day the upgrade went into effect? I wonder what he is hiding from? There needs to be a Congressional Investigation. Now! I was always suspicious of all that equipment he owns.

Kyle (Just Kidding, 'ham') In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> The loss of certain symbols is "new" but pasting from"Word" documents has created problems in the past. Members who participated in the "Programming Challenges" and created their week of a TCM schedule in Word did find problems with the display when pasting it into these Forums.

>

> I use the simple and basic "Notepad" program for composition and have no problems. I am always surprised anyone would use the bloated Word program to compose a message to be pasted in here. But god forbid I be accused of trying to take away one's freedoms (of using Word) if they want by telling them to use Notepad.

I started using Word because this message board has always had a problem of ?timing out? when someone takes a little time to type a message in the board?s message box.

A lot of people here have complained about losing long posts when their message disappeared when they tried to post it.

I?m able to save my Word document posts in neat easy-to-find files, which is handy since entire threads sometimes disappear from this board, and the moderators can?t find them again. They?re gone forever.

I don?t have any trouble with Word on any other message boards I post on.

I think the new system vaporized ?ham? for some reason. Probably caused by negative feedback through his computer?s flux capacitor, causing his atoms to re-orient in a post-nuclear relativistic catastrophe, as H.A. Lorentz predicted might happen.

If you use your standard keyboard with your computer (I have a mac) and type in the following:

"Test" "Test"

just by depressing the shift key and then depressing the " mark on your keyboard the standard quote mark from the keyboard should appear.

Lets see if this works.

You see it does work!

I think what happens is that if you do use smart quotes in another word type program a problem will occur and those funny looking little boxes will appear as quote marks especially when Fred types his replies.

If I do the following:

?TEST? ?TEST?

I have just depressed the option key and then the left bracket key for the first quote mark and then I depress the option and shift key at the same time and then depress the left bracket key to get the right quote mark.

Lets see what happens.

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 12, 2011 11:19 AM

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 12, 2011 11:21 AM

As you can see if you just type in your reply using the standard quote marks on your keyboard, the quote mark just above the comma next to the return key on your keyboard, I think you can eliminate this problem. I would venture to say that this is what is happening.

What are you all's thoughts?

*"I started using Word because this message board has always had a problem of timing out when someone takes a little time to type a message in the boards message box."* - FCD

I understand that. It is the same reason I composed messages in a Notepad text file before posting. I was only pointing out that using "Notepad" didn't cause the problem you are experiencing when using the Word program. But then again, I don't know what "Smart Quotes" are exactly either. I've never learned Word.

Kyle In Hollywood

Curved and straight quotes are also sometimes referred to as smart quotes (???) and dumb quotes ("?") respectively; these names are in reference to the name of a function found in several word processors that automatically converts straight quotes typed by the user into curved quotes. This function, known as ?educating quotes?, was developed for systems which lack separate open- and close-quote keyboard keys.

From Wikipedia

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> What are you all's thoughts?

I just figured out how to get around the problem while using a Word document.

I'm typing up some instructions now.