Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

Ok, the problem is that this board will not take Word document quote marks as any kind of typeface. This board must have the quote marks posted as "Symbols".

*Test Instructions, let's see if this works:*

For message board compatible quote marks, while typing original copy in a Word document, do this:

In an open Word document, click on "Insert" and "Symbol".

Then click on the regular quote mark symbol. In my Word program, this is the second symbol on the list.

Then click on "Shortcut key".

Select what single key on your keyboard you would like to use, then press Ctrl and the key you want to use. In the "Current Keys" box, that action should appear as Ctrl+ the symbol of the key you have chosen.

For example, if you choose the #1 key, the box should list Ctrl+1

Do that same thing for the single quote mark, like this: ' and assign it to another key.

Then when you type your text in a Word document, hit the Ctrl button and the key you've assigned and you will get straight quote marks, rather than curved ones, and that should work on this board.

I find it odd that there is no synopsis of a movie in the schedule unless you can click on the expand button. Once you are able to do that then suddenly there are three synopsises: the normal one, a sort-of one from Maltin and the pushy one from the advertisement for the DVD.

It has become very much an all-or-nothing situation.

It is also slightly amusing that for some movies the descriptions are so different from one another they do not seem as if they are speaking of the same movie.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> I find it odd that there is no synopsis of a movie in the schedule unless you can click on the expand button. Once you are able to do that then suddenly there are three synopsises: the normal one, a sort-of one from Maltin and the pushy one from the advertisement for the DVD.

>

Apparently the new "Expand" button is there so we will get the pop-up advertisement for the DVD, if we want to see what the film is about.

I don't mind the advertisement, but I do object to making the Schedule page more difficult to use. Now I'll have to keep another window open to the IMDB website, to see what the movie is about.

Also, I have to remember to change time zones every time I open the daily Schedule page, since the board no longer remembers what time zone I'm in.

I have been trying very hard to be open minded about the format change (change is often hard) but the more I see the new the more I miss the old. I don't know what, if anything, has been really been improved here.

Edited by: mrroberts on Mar 12, 2011 4:48 PM

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> I have been trying very hard to be open minded about the format change (change is often hard) but the more I see the new the more I miss the old. I don't know what, if anything, has been really been improved here.

>

Well, this thread is a great example of all the thousands of people who use this website for information. They are the "guests" we see listed in the "online user's" category at the top right of this page.

All of a sudden, dozens of guests signed onto the board and started protesting the change. That means they don't like it either. So it's not just us old board members who are complaining about it.

Sometimes we'll have up to 300 "guests" looking at the board at the same time.

:) FredC: Thank you for your advice. I tried typing a posting on Notebook then copying it to the Board which solved the punctuation problem. The thing is that's there's no spell check on it and the one for the Board is not working either so my eyes need to be really open when proofreading. I've pretty much learned what little I know about computers by trial and error so this is not that big a mess for me. All help is greatly appreciated. :)

I have just tried this and it works with no problems. I would not dream of using Microsoft Word for anything.

I have a superb text editor called "TextPad", which I use for all serious (professional level) text work. I will try it shortly and see what comes out.

*I have 3 Issues with this new format.*

!. No "remind me" with email option. I used this weekly.

2. They still do not post a "P" for premiering for the first time on TCM icon in the daily schedule.

3. Even when I am logged into the web site my time zone setting PST keeps defaulting to EST.

Here is a post which I wrote out in "TextPad" and pasted it into the posting box as a test. Note the quotes, if that is an issue. By the way, in case anyone wants to know, TextPad has a good spell checker, as well as so many other excellent features (with one's full control over everything) that it will boggle your mind. By the way, I have no connection with the TextPad people. I am just sure that there is *no dedicated text editor on this planet* that can do a better job! Absolutely sure....

> TCM web experts, you've got to do something about the difficulty people have started to have posting. It seems to be mostly new people, don't realize their post has "taken", and apparently keep clicking that "post message" button over and over again. It's not their fault, but it's very annoying, and bumps away all the threads that were on the first page, because there'll be 5 or 6 duplicates of one thread a new poster has created. I'm sure they're doing this unintentionally, not realizing they need to wait and eventually their thread will appear (usually, anyway - some must get lost in limbo, I'm sure.)

>

> Maybe I should post this 10 times, just to make my point... oh, never mind, I'd have to start a new thread to really make the point, and I can't handle that.

The multiple posts are caused by the poster getting a long technical "Error" message when he tries to post his message. So he goes back and tries to post it again, and again.

That happened to me this morning, but, being familiar with this message board every time some Webmaster tries to change it, I didn't go back and try to re-post my message.

I went directly to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS index and found that my first message HAD actually posted.

So, the Error message was in Error.

So it's not the beginner's fault. It's the board's fault.

I see where you are still having trouble with certain symbols......

Maybe for an apostrophe just use the symbol on your keyboard just below the standard keyboard stroke for quote.

*From lzcutter from Renee aka TCMWebAdmin:*

From Renee aka TCMWebAdmin earlier on Friday, March 11th:

Also, to remind everyone:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

-We'll explore an "expand all" option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks

Changes of this magnitude do not happen overnight. Thanks everyone again for being patient through this process.

-Renee

*And this bears repeating:*

*From lzcutter yesterday, March 11 at 10:35 PM*

Considering how much of the overall website has been changed, flipping the BACK switch is likely not an option.

We all hope that TCM Web is listening to our complaints and suggestions regarding the Schedule which has, by far, the most vocal group, followed by the Suggest a Movie fans.

They say they are.

Considering the time and effort involved in the upgrade, going back is likely not an option.

But how TCM works with its fan base to improve the Schedule pages and "Suggest a Movie" as well as these message boards, is likely how TCM will move forward.

So, giving TCM concrete examples of how they can improve not only the Schedule but the way you and everyone else interacts with the entire website would likely be very appreciated.

Just a thought. I understand that people aren't happy and when you read the 11 plus pages of this thread (plus the Tech forum threads), TCM Web has to be aware that people aren't happy.

But at some point, can't we stop with the heaping on of meanness and madness and start concentrate on helping TCM Web fix the sections that matter to us most?

Because the idea of week-end long ranting about subjects that have already been written about ad naseum and for some which TCM is currently working on, is just too scary and bone-weary to imagine.

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 12, 2011 7:41 PM

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 12, 2011 8:06 PM

Icons or words? One of the suggestions made in the Problems with the Upgrade thread is to have a Preferences screen of if and how the movie synopses are displayed. If the Web folks decide to add such a functionality, then how the genre is displayed could be among those preferences.

Speaking of genre, a simple change in this area I would like to see is for Musical and Romance to NOT use the same color.

"-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)"

The way it was. Where each month popped up in it's own window. Currently that's only 1 month.

And why does a whole new format still not fix the problem of having to click reply to a thread twice to post anything?

I think that the forums look a bit better now. I do wish that there was an option to go to the first unread post in a thread.

I don't begrudge TCM hawking DVDs on the daily and weekly schedules. I'm quite familiar with Maltin, as his movie guides were my bibles, before I had access to the web, the IMDb, and allmovie.com. He's popular, so if TCM is going to post reviews, his are as suitable as any. That said, I often disagree greatly with him, and his reviewers.

As many have posted here, I dearly hope that the complete, printable monthly schedules, with synopses, directors, and cast, will return. I relied on them constantly. They were very easy and quick to use. Having to click for a synopsis, and not being able to print them as a list, is a great loss in functionality. TCM, please fix this!

I assume that TCM will fix the problem with the letterboxed labeling. I hope they will add links to the complete, individual schedules for the upcoming months. I hope they will add the name of the month to the tops of these schedules! These fixes seem like no-brainers.

> I think that the forums look a bit better now. I do wish that there was an option to go to the first unread post in a thread.

That would be nice.

And as I pointed out earlier, they need to fix the paging for those of us who don't want the default 15 posts per page and newest posts at the top. Getting to the first new post of something like the long-running Bronxgirl's mother thread over in Hot Topics is a pain. Even though I have the forum options set for 50 posts per page, every single time I go to the Hot Topics page, it claims there are 120+ pages in the thread, when for me there should be 37 at the current time.

(No, I don't want to be forced in to the default number of posts per page, and absolutely not into the newest posts at top.)

Fedya,

Not sure if it will help but you can set the number of posts per page and how you want to read threads (new to old or old to new) in your Control Panel, located above next to your PM box.

YES - the thing with the time zone is really ANNOYING! I thought I was the only one who hated this, so I'm grateful you posted it too.

Maybe in the member profile people can SET their time zone? Then it won't always default to EST - there are fans on the west coast TCM!

Thanks!

This new schedule format is truly wonderful!!!!!! Now Canadian viewers are left with a four hour gap this afternoon where there are no listings for movies playing between 1pm and 5pm EST. Way to go web page designers! Your new format is now truly an abomination! I want the old schedule format back! TCM if you truly care about your viewers, FIRE those responsible for this HUGE mistake. If Coca-Cola can get rid of "New Coke", anything is possible!

A VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED TCM FAN!

(and I always had the impression that TCM was such a professionally run organization!)

*Now Canadian viewers are left with a four hour gap this afternoon where there are no listings for movies playing between 1pm and 5pm EST.*

Klint,

You might want to check your browser.

I checked the Canadian schedule for today and it displayed just fine using Firefox:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/canada/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-03-13

> {quote:title=klint wrote:}{quote}

> This new schedule format is truly wonderful!!!!!! Now Canadian viewers are left with a four hour gap this afternoon where there are no listings for movies playing between 1pm and 5pm EST.

Hi. Welcome to the board. :)

I'm using Internet Explorer. I've used it for 11 years. I see a gap between After The Thin Man and My Fair Lady.