Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

Renee,

With the deployment of the new format for the message boards, when I hit the Post Message button I get the message box asking if I want to navigate away from the page and that my message has not been saved.

This leads me to believe that my message is not going to post. But if I hit Okay (as if I am navigating away), in reality, the message then posts.

Hope this can get fixed because it is rather disconcerting.

Edited by: lzcutter for clarity and to cut down on the number of threads being created

I, too, found the posting issue to be confusing. I kept pressing cancel because I didn't want to lose my message. It is also confusing because we are asked to save and yet the save option is grayed out and not available.

I hope it's just a temporary glitch but I do miss being able to access three months of schedules and the home page. Also, I'm not really liking the star reviews next to some of the films-I love to discover and rate them on my own. The ratings might keep some folks from watching a given film.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying the Harlow graphics on these pages. Good luck with the new format. I know it's an evolving process to get it just right.

Hi everyone,

Ok, if we keep all the issues to *one* thread, a list can be made up with all the the technical issues.

So far I have the following:

1. Posting messages - No preview message

2. Schedule - Font too small, cannot print, cannot access PDF file

3. Cannot post pictures

4. Report Abuse button missing

5. Remind Me button missing in TCM database when searching for a film

If I'm missing a technical issue, please continue posting it here. I will keep this going and send a report before the weekend. This will give members til tomorrow to help me find the issues.

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this. :-)

-Renee

Edited by: TCMWebAdmin on Mar 10, 2011 8:03 AM

Renee, your list of Requested Changes seems complete enough, although the reasons aren't.

On the Schedule, the complaints (and mine, too) also address the now-lack-of-info about a film. The lack of filmmaker/cast names, the lack of description. Those were SO handy.

I think the lack of that info hurts all the great film-archeology projects that TCM programmers do when they dig up jewels we've never seen or heard of. With tens of thousands of film names, nothing is more *ATTRACTING* than a QUICK scan of cast and a QUICKLY read synopsis.

Making me dig thru more and more pages and links (which may or may not load) makes film-archeology work BY the TCM programmers less viewed and less appreciated.

This IS the logical conclusion when LESS INFO is provided. If TCM doesn't want to us to know about the films they show, this Schedule is a GREAT format.

And more characters can be saved by getting rid of film-names entirely. Times, too - I mean, why waste all that apparently sacred screen-space?!!

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Renee,

>

> With the deployment of the new format for the message boards, when I hit the Post Message button I get the message box asking if I want to navigate away from the page and that my message has not been saved.

>

> This leads me to believe that my message is not going to post. But if I hit Okay (as if I am navigating away), in reality, the message then posts.

>

> Hope this can get fixed because it is rather disconcerting.

I second this.

I also dislike not being able to PREVIEW a post.

Overall, the changes to the forum boards are terrible. The graphics and sidebars are too big, crowding the actual message area. The "online users" count is way too big considering it's not important info. I much prefer the small "welcome TikiSoo" link to my info off to the right, than the redundant and too large "inbox/control panel" link icons inside the box.

And the box outline only feels claustrophobic.

If you are collecting "comments" on issues beyond "posting problems, I have a few.

But to start, I can add one improvement to the new format - the site doesn't "hang" or go dead when trying to post a message. I no longer have to compose my posts in "Notepad" and then copy them to the compostion box and hit quickly "Post Message" for the message to go through. I can now write in the composition window for five minutes or longer and the message will post successfully.

But I am curious as to what "screen resolution" the site is constructed for? I have a 15" monitor, I use IE 8 and Windows XP. The screen resolution is set at 1064 x 768. (Largest available.)

Since the upgrade, I have a slight "left-right" scroll bar at the bottom of the page. I get only a hint of the "wallpaper" others have written about on the right-hand side - and only if I scroll to the right. Would love to get rid of the scroll bar.

I also see no "icons" for various functions in the thread/message display boxes. All I have is a text link to reply.

Schedule pages issues include - getting the pages to display with the correct time zone. As it is now, only EST seems to display - especially for the monthly schedule. One can no longer adjust the text size on the monthly schedule page. And it will take 40 pages to print the complete monthly schedule page - if using using the Windows print option. (Don't know what the pdf version page count is.) Seems unusually - and excessively - high page count.

And is the pdf file (inaccessible as of now) the complete monthly schedule or just the "primetime grid" which is what has only been available in in pdf format? I would be surprised if the full schedule is really in a pdf format for downloading or printing. That would be "new".

Kyle In Hollywood

Renee,

I am still getting "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page" message when I hit "Post Message" as I pointed out yesterday in the very first post in this thread, that leads people to think that their message is not going to post and they cancel out.

When, in reality, if you hit okay it doesn't navigate away but actually posts your message.

Any chance that can be added to the list of fixes? It's very confusing and actually deters people from posting.

Renee,

The "Remind Button" button complaints aren't about the button on the Schedule pages but the "Remind Button" has been removed from the TCMDatabase.

You used to be able to search the database for film titles and when the pages for the films were displayed it showed the upcoming times and dates (if any) that the films would be shown.

Right below that was the "Remind Me" so you could have emails reminders sent to you regarding the airing of the film.

With the new upgrade, on the Database pages, the upcoming times are still listed but the "Remind Me" button is no longer there.

That's the one people want back.

Here is what I have so far from the technical team:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

-We?ll explore an ?expand all? option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks

I'll update this thread as I am updated.

Thanks

-Renee

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> I found a Remind Me prompt when clicking on "Expand" while viewing the schedule.

>

> Just an FYI for now. :)

> -Renee

I liked using the "Remind Me" feature. Sorry, Renee, where is this "Expand" button? I clicked on a film I wanted to be reminded about, but did not see any "expand" feature.

Admin: As you're mentioning changes to the schedule, I wanted to point out all of the problems I'm having with the new "Monthly" schedule.

- The Letterbox labels are all wrong

- Short films are no longer labeled as such. When focusing on just these or just on features I can't make the distinction between the two at a glance any more which can be quite troublesome.

- Descriptions have been unreasonably removed. Also, this stripped-down schedule is somehow taking up more space (more scrolling required) to access less information at one time.

- Future monthly schedules are no longer available via any URLs such as "http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=timezone=EST&oid=4/1/2011." These "updates" downgraded a powerful URL to a straight link to an HTML page. It's not 1995 anymore, no reasonable web devs are taking away control over properties of sites via the URL and replacing it with the same exact HTML for everybody if they can help it. Also note that the "timezone" property in the URL, which is important for many users, doesn't seem to be available anymore.

- The all-caps titles are unpleasant. They're already bold, and that places more than enough emphasis on the titles. It worked perfectly before and was pleasant to look at. Do a poll on this or something if you need to. Ask us what we would be prefer, because our opinions do matter.

Moving on to problems with the TCM DB pages:

- When there are two or more future air dates, they are difficult to read because they are slapped right next to one another. No separate lines like before (which was perfect), and no separating character of any kind. At http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/18941/Monte-Walsh/ the part with "08:00 PM Saturday" are parts of dates for two separate movies. If you miss the angry-all-caps "FRIDAY" at the beginning you may easily make a mental note that the movie will be airing next on a Saturday at 8pm, not a Friday. Please, please, please put the future air dates back on separate lines. If you have to shrink down the excessively oversized (and once again all caps) title to make room for this then please do so. Returning to a small but bold font for the future air dates to make effective use of the limited space you now have for listing air dates would be another option.

- When there are three or more future air dates, the lack of foresight with these design changes ends up making a wreck of both the title and the future air dates. They get piled on top of one another for movies like The Paleface at http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/86150/The-Paleface/

- The scaling of the page is unbalanced so that on the left side the sidebar options that used to fit on my screen without scrolling are cut off. I can change my browser settings to scale down every bit of the TCM site to correct this one thing, but then the rest of the text on the TCM DB pages is very tiny. Maybe your devs run at some really high resolution on huge monitors, or maybe they just don't care what fits on the screen or not. That certainly seems to be the case with the next problem.

- The "Additional Details" should be visible without scrolling, and without having the highest conceivable resolution. In particular, I look at the Color and Duration information often and it's currently cut off without scrolling. At the same time, there are huge areas of unused space filling up the portion of the page that is visible when I first load it.

- When you have "Archive Materials" on a TCM DB page instead of tons of unused space, almost every bit of information on the page is cut off. Do I really need to explain how horribly wrong this is? If I bring up http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/3606/Your-Cheatin-Heart/ I can only just barely see who the director is. Absolutely no other information about the film (aside from the title/year at the top) is available until I start scrolling. This is a truly terrible design.

As for problems with these message boards, I'm randomly taken back to the index of the boards when I click on Reply.

There's no shortage of other problems with the new design. Different problems are bigger issues for some users than others because we all have slightly different focuses when visiting the TCM web site. Overall, this new design is extremely unprofessional and severely lacks consideration of what both new and potential users might find useful about visiting TCM.com. Whoever is responsible for this should be thoroughly ashamed. I just have to hope that their pride doesn't get in the way of doing the right thing for the many dedicated users of this web site who visit it and watch TCM so regularly. That is, of course, assuming they are even capable of doing the right thing.

Thank you for your time and hopefully for your help in resolving these problems.

Greg

How is the fix coming for all the broken web page links? It was Tweeted yesterday it was being looked at by techs; I'd appreciate an update.

You can read more about the broken links to schedules, trailers, and articles at my blog here:

http://laurasmiscmusings.blogspot.com/2011/03/alert-re-tcm-website-issues.html

Thank you,

Laura

Hello,

Daily & Weekly Schedule suggestion/comment-

Not sure if this has been considered or already mentioned, but a combination of the old format with the new format that might appease the many people (myself included) who dislike the new schedule layout due to lack of information at a glance.

Bring back the old schedule look with the complete icon and written genre description,

director, cast, plot summary, and length of film, etc ... all visible without expanding anything.

-BUT-

Change the "expand" button to a "review" button, and make the capsule review, along with the "star" rating become the part that drops down and expands.

------------------------------------------------------

One small request-

The option to use the drop-down calendar to view previous days in the current month, which currently can only be viewed by repeatedly pressing the "previous day" arrow at the bottom (becomes tedious the more you wish to go back). I think this was possible before when the days of the month were listed along the top. I typically would use this if discussing a film that I saw, for example, "Last week on Tuesday night" - but couldn't think of the title.

--------------------------------------------------------

On the plus side I think the display-by-genre on the weekly schedule is GREAT!

Someone else commented it would be nice if we could select more that one genre at a time,

to see all one's favorite genres at once. That would be even better.

Thank you for your time.

Ms. W,

Renee is referring to the "reminder" button on the schedule pages and not the one that used to be on the individual pages of the Database. To see the "Reminder" button on the Schedule page, click the word "expand' on the right hand corner of the film listing.

Everyone else,

Here is the latest from TCM WebAdmin posted earlier this morning:

Here is what I have so far from the technical team:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

-We'llll explore an expand all option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks

So, give them time. As I said in a post in the thread in "General Discussions" the last big graphical upgrade to the entire website was over five years ago. You try to plan for problems when upgrading but it isn't possible to plan for all.

Given the problems with "Suggest a Movie" and the amount of spam and attacking of others that goes on there, perhaps a better way of "Suggesting a Movie' is coming.

Sounds like they have heard the your pleas about the Schedule.

And sounds like they have heard the problems people are having with the message boards.

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> Here is what I have so far from the technical team:

>

> -Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

> -3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

> -Well explore an expand all option for the Schedule

> -We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks

>

> I'll update this thread as I am updated.

>

> Thanks

> -Renee

I appreciate the updates, Renee, thank you for that. I'm especially glad to see that the 3-month schedule is coming back. One of my favorite options on this website. I just hope it's a little more like the old schedule, with a synopsis for each movie, shorts listed and maybe it not take up so much real estate on the webpage.

Here are a couple of other bugaboos I've encountered. When you search for an actor and see the upcoming titles for that actor on their page, only a few are shown and you cannot click on a title in order to see more info on it. Such as for Bette Davis:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/45076%7C20235/Bette-Davis/

At the top where it says "Upcoming Titles", only 5 movies are shown, but if I search for Bette Davis within the daily schedule's seach box, I get directed to a page with a result of 20 upcoming clickable movie titles:

http://www.tcm.com/search/index.html?type=schedule&text=bette+davis

In the old format, those 20 movies would have been available for viewing and clicking from Bette Davis' overview page. It would be wonderful if that option could be re-instated.

Thank you for your time.