Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

Perhaps those attending the Film Festival later this month will take the opportunity to mention the multitude of unresolved issues to the TCM staffers. If they hear it from a number of different individuals, they may respond.

I would certainly hope that those who are attending would take their hat in their hand and speak for those of us who cannot attend this year... there is nothing wrong in pointing out the situation in a calm and articulate way, as a FAVOR to the TCM staff. I am sure that somewhere, there are people who want to know that this website is having problems that reflect on TCM's good name.

Just a friendly reminder that dates are still randomly coming up in the wrong language on the TCM DB pages.

I just brought up 'All Over the Town (1949)' and the air date was listed as "Středa, duben 6 @ 05:00 dop."

Just like last time, when I refreshed it came up in English.

Everytime I hear the TCM (channel) commentor say, "If you want to know more about this program vist the TCM website...check the schedule..." yada, yada, yada...

It makes me want to puke!

There appears to be absolutely no real connection between those TCM personnel promoting this now defunct site, and those that actually use it!

>>Perhaps those attending the Film Festival later this month will take the opportunity to mention the multitude of unresolved issues to the TCM staffers. If they hear it from a number of different individuals, they may respond.

Imagine the reaction if some TCM staffer claims that this year's festival is an "upgrade" over last year's edition. :)

Well, this website upgrade at least puts the lie to what the Alaskan woman claims in the Festival promo: "If TCM is connected to it, you know it's going to be good." Or words to that effect.

> {quote:title=Stephan55 wrote:}{quote}

> For a split second I thought you were going to mention that other Alaskan woman... ;)

Do you think she worked on the "upgrade?" That would explain a lot.

Seriously, are people really having trouble with the forums? I have no problems with them, and find them marginally better. True, I haven't tried to find any really old thread pages.

For me, the main thing is the schedules. The monthly schedule needs to be as it was, with synopses visible w/o clicking, and printing on fewer pages, as they used to do. Sure, I know there are lots of other issues, but the monthly schedule is the most important.

*For me, the main thing is the schedules. The monthly schedule needs to be as it was, with synopses visible w/o clicking, and printing on fewer pages, as they used to do. Sure, I know there are lots of other issues, but the monthly schedule is the most important.*

AGREED!

But I would also immediately include restoring the 3 month MONTH schedule.

Also the movie database link with the information intelligently categorically arranged as before. So one could easily find producers, screen writers, composers, etc, without having to search through a homogenous blend.

Also, the abilty to easily see if a movie is programed to play in the next 3 months. And if so, the ability to be easily reminded by email for any or all showings.

Also, also, also, also, also,.........also......

Edited by: Stephan55 on Apr 5, 2011 10:22 PM

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I have not received a response from my email sent 2 days ago. I am sending another reminder today. Again, as soon as I get a response, I will update it here. I've given them a detailed list of the concerns and issues with the updated format.

>

> I understand the frustration. I'm really appreciative of all the help the members have given me to establish a very detailed report. Thank you again for being patient.

>

> -Renee

Renee - You don't have us all on ignore, I hope?

As far as I can see, only one of my concerns has been fixed - the movie ladies and gents up at the top left of the screen are no longer blobbed together. I still cannot see the monthly schedule in PST, and the daily schedule is still unable to show PST accurately.

Hows about an update? Thank you in advance.

Like you I have very little problems here. I am lucky. The only real difficulty I have are in the more popluar threads where the post numbers reach over 1000. The comma in there brings up a blank page. Removing the comma fixes it but it would be nice not to have to fool with it.

It's not a question of liking the upgrade but unlike others I am having little trouble with it. I hope everyone is taken care of soon.

It's clear that different members use these boards for different purposes - some are more important than others to us - but they are all important to the whole. Schedules, board threads, accuracy, etc.

No one likes to think that we are stuck with things as they are. So we continue to let you know how we feel. Even if it does seem like constant complaining or overkill.

If we had adequate communication with someone in charge, or directions on how to be more productive - that would be immensely helpful.

Right now, *The Devil and Daniel Webster* is on, and the schedule states that John Craig is in it.

Who is John Craig? Is he the evil twin of James Craig?

Anyone remember "garbage in, garbage out"?

Edited by: cinemafan on Apr 6, 2011 9:11 AM because the Preview feature is not working and I needed to add a space.

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote

> If we had adequate communication with someone in charge, or directions on how to be more productive - that would be immensely helpful.

I really think that this whole mess was created by "someone in charge". I can't imagine that anybody could create such a fiasco on their own without direction or approval of upper management. If that were the case they would have been looking for work weeks ago, the boards would either have reverted to the old format or at least been fix, and we would have gotten some rely to our constant complaints.

Well, Ben Mankiewicz is always promoting the IPhone TCM applications... Maybe all this is to make the site more compatible with IPhones?

I don't have one, so I wouldn't be able to confirm that on my own, but maybe he knows?

Anybody have his number?

I am not a fan of the latest upgrade either. It is not user friendly. I liked being able to type in a film's title to see if it is scheduled to air in the next three months. If that feature is still there, I can not find it. I also liked having the next three months schedule available, and was hoping that they would add the fourth to the schedule as soon as that is available. I also had hoped that there would be an email address for our movie suggestions in the new upgrade.

> {quote:title=oltimetv wrote:}{quote}

> I also liked having the next three months schedule available

Bring up this month's full schedule. In the web address, change the "4" to a 5 or 6 to get May or June's full month calendar. Why they haven't put back direct links, I don't understand.

Hi Everyone,

I will be sending another email again this morning to try and get information on the issues at hand. I apologize for not responding sooner as I was on vacation. Pete was here, but he did not receive an update either or he would have posted.

Thanks everyone,

-Renee

Well, I'm back again -- to post ONCE MORE about a situation NO ONE at TCM cares to address:

*The DOWNGRADE of the SCHEDULE FORMAT has a _DISPROPORTIONATELY NEGATIVE EFFECT ON ELDERLY AND DISABLED_ TCM viewers.*

While I have yet to come across one single positive comment from _ANYONE_ regarding the downgrade of schedule formatting, I can imagine that the TCM Overlords might want to dismiss the inconvenience of the new fancy-pants scheduling format...

[sans detailed useful info-at-a-glance without arduous multiple clicking to "expand" each title, yet perversely burdened with tons of webpage real estate devoted to Leonard Maltin's reviews and starred ratings -- which NO ONE was clamoring for -- all "slimmed down" into a teensy-tiny, itsy-bitsy font]

...as the mere whining of *terminally unhip* TCM fans who will eventually catch on to and be grateful for the *sheer sophistication* of these genius webpage designers who know better than the mere hoi polloi, but ---

*IT NEEDS TO BE STATED AGAIN THAT TCM IS _BURDENING THOSE WHO ARE DISABLED AND ELDERLY_ WITH ALL THIS USELESS, REPETITIVE-INJURY-INDUCING EXTRA MOUSE-CLICKING & EYE-STRAIN-INDUCING MINISCULE FONT...*

So -- while TCM may be willing to throw the tragically unhip/unsophisticated/unenlightened-to-the-genius-of-the-Great-Cinema-God-Maltin under the bus, riddle me this:

*WHY DOES TCM WANT TO SHOW SUCH DISRESPECT TO THE ELDERLY & DISABLED???*

Do they not CARE that all that extra mouse-clicking causes physical pain to those with rheumatoid arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome??? Or that the eyesight of the elderly (a SIGNIFICANT demographic slice of this particular cable channel's pie) can't cope with the ridiculously tiny font in the "new improved" (ha!) schedule format?

Why does TCM want to alienate arguably its most LOYAL fan demographic (i.e., bite the hand which feeds the network) -- namely, those who are retired or unable to work because of disability and hence eager to watch TCM all day/night???

And why NO RESPONSE to this particular complaint??? -- which I've raised repeatedly throughout this thread, _BUT always waiting patiently_ a decent interval of many days before raising the question _again_ -- always just long enough for me to see that IT IS BEING STUDIOUSLY IGNORED --

I have been forced to arrive at the unpleasant but inescapable conclusion: *TCM just does NOT CARE about its elderly/disabled viewers.*