Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would like to add my comments about the new schedule. I also used to copy and paste it to a word document so I could read about all the movies for the upcoming week and decide what to watch. That is not possible any longer in my own time zone. The email schedule that I get from TCM is not in the right time zone and I have tried everything I can think of to copy and paste in my own time zone, but everything I do, seems to have a problem. I keep getting the times wrong and just found out that I missed a movie in the middle of the night last night that I really wanted to see. I have been sending comments along with everyone else since this change was made but I don't t hink that anyone in charge is reading any of these posts, sadly.

costumer, if you're comfortable with Excel, maybe you can do what I'm doing - using Word, replace certain characters with tabs to define fields, copy & paste into Excel, and then adjust times there. 'Course I probably should mention that I'm a retired programmer, so this is tedious but relatively simple for me. Ah, if TCM would not only bring back the 3 month schedule, but have it available as a tab-delimited download too...

The three month schedule IS still available, TCM just doesn't have the links on their pages. There are a couple of places where people have posted them on the forums. Generally, if you have an address for this month's schedule that includes the number of the month in it, you can change the 4 to a 5, a 6 or a 7, and get the later schedules. You can adjust the time zone similarly.

Check the "Next two months where are they" thread, in General Discussions.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Apr 25, 2011 8:33 PM

Well, if I can add one small and practically insignificant complaint it would be that until the upgrade I could still view and enjoy the 15th anniversary microsite. Knowing that would be way down the list the link is broken and I hope the site may still be around but I just can't see it.

> {quote:title=AT_in_LA wrote:}{quote}

> V, good luck on specific complaints receiving specific acknowledgement. Look at what they've done to the schedule - blown it all up with the EXPAND ALL. People asked for expanded synopsis, but instead they get Leonard Maltin's paragraphs of blathering PLUS inches of ad space for each and every DVD. That used to be a convenient Shopping Icon - now it consumes more and more screen space!

But when the developers proposed Expand All, it was understood this would be doing exactly what it has done--expanding all the items in the schedule. At least, I understood this would happen. They were going to make it so that all items would be expanded instead of just one--and since one expanded item showed the synopsis, Leonard Maltin review, and ad, it was understood that would now be shown for all items if "Expand All" were implemented. At least, it's what I expected, even if it does mean more scrolling. Yes, I would prefer the schedule the way it was in the old days, with less scrolling, but Expand All with more scrolling is better than having only one item expanded.

But setting that aside, I am complaining about actual scheduled items not showing up in the online schedule. This is not a complaint about style or format, but about actual missing content, and yet no response at all.

Renee, are you out there?

And then there is the "Letterboxed" labeling that needs to be corrected. I think it is reversed now, so that all LB stuff has no LB label, and all non-LB stuff is labeled LB, but I'm not certain that is true for all entries. :(

Only?

Would you like for me to name another?

Or would you like to go on believing that the problems with these new schedules are just on the verge of being "fixed"?

incredibull--to say the least

Edited by: incredibull on Apr 26, 2011 10:30 PM

The "Remind Me" pages are broken, again. I already reported on a number of things that are messed up with the "Remind Me" pages, but now the DATES and TIMES are missing, so they are quite useless.

Are we getting any closer to having the buffoons behind this train wreck put out on the street? Seriously, how could people who are so intolerably slow and hopelessly inept still be employed?

Also, another reminder that when I went to reply I was first sent back to the forum index.

Pathetic.

> {quote:title=tcmfan1983 wrote:}{quote} Are we getting any closer to having the buffoons behind this train wreck put out on the street? Seriously, how could people who are so intolerably slow and hopelessly inept still be employed?

Maybe my theory is correct and it was conceived by some manager, high up on the corporate ladder, who doesn't like to admit he screwed up and just figures we'll all get tired of complaining and give up. If it was somebody lower down, you can bet that it would be fixed by now and they'd be history.

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> I will test it in Firefox then and capture screenshots if needed.

>

> The following has been fixed for users in IE8 with the following:

> 1. Double reply box - now gone

> 2. Post now - no more pop ups

>

> While trying to fix the following issues, the above issues were created. This has placed the following issues back to investigation for IE8 users to find a better solution:

>

> 1. Preview Button

> 2. Save Now Button - make it function

> 3. Spellcheck box

> 4. Use Draft option

>

> I will update more as I get them.

>

> Thanks everyone!ing

> -Renee

Renee - Please give us an update on where we stand. This has to be an embarrassing situation for whoever is responsible for this. Since we don't know who it is, you are our only line of communication.

It has been so long, that the whole status of what is wrong has been muddied.

I do know that there is no way to *preview a post*, so I hope this posts ok. I hate to post without being able to see exactly what is being put out there.

Also, *we still can't see the 3 month schedule in Pacific West Coast time*. You know, the West Coast, where the TCM Festival is being held right now.

Hey, that's an idea - maybe that's our only hope, that one of our fellow TCM board poster attendees will talk to a real person who cares and find out why this is such a mess here. Or why it is taking such a mysteriously long time to correct and get information.

This was posted by markfp2 -

Maybe my theory is correct and it was conceived by some manager, high up on the corporate ladder, who doesn't like to admit he screwed up and just figures we'll all get tired of complaining and give up. If it was somebody lower down, you can bet that it would be fixed by now and they'd be history.

Mark - you and the others are not alone. Many others predicted that ''they" would expect us to get tired of complaining and appearing to be whiners. I can't believe that this is still going on. "They" must think that we are idiots. -

Renee or Pete - Please do us the courtesy of giving us an update.

cinemafan

I too am trying to come up with ways to explain what's happened that make any sense at all.

All this destruction --

---the destruction of so much here that worked so well and was so useful;

---the destruction of so much good will amongst us who were so loyal;

---the destruction of the good name of TCM when so many no longer rave about their favorite cable network with the kind of infectious enthusiasm that garnered new fans;

---the destruction of the "brand" of TCM now that it's proven itself too incompetent to fix even the simplest coding problems, and can't be bothered hiring competent people to fix them.

I mean, the Coca-Cola Co. knew when they created "Classic Coke" that they had a real disaster on their hands; and when their loyal "fans" let out a righteous uproar they had the good sense to fix their mistake and regain their "brand loyalty." But not TCM, nope.

So what is it? I can only think of two logical possibilities:

1) The person responsible for this disaster is a higher-up who's actually a corporate spy for ANOTHER media ownership corporation which wants to destroy TCM for some unknown reason;

OR

2) The person responsible for this disaster is SO HIGH UP the chain of consolidated media ownership, that the command has been given (perhaps known to only a few) that *the real purpose is to destroy TCM* by decimating its fan base. It can't be the most PROFITABLE enterprise in the vertical chain of ownership now, can it? Not even any commercials! Certainly not a huge moneymaker as part of a vertically integrated media empire, right? And now that the middle class in the U.S. (and elsewhere, for that matter) is being killed in an economy run by the top 2%, even the most loyal fans may no longer be able to spend their hard-earned money on ordering merchandise, the "Now Playing" guide, etc., when the REAL cost of inflation is squeezing the life from the lower 98%.

So maybe if a significant number of loyal fans turn away, the "necessary excuse" to sell or radically change the enterprise into more of a profit-maker can be accomplished in a way that "proves" that providing real, substantive value and maintaining our cultural film heritage just doesn't "work" to make money fast enough for the investors. It's only the lowest-common-denominator products that rake in the cash for those all-important quarterly reports.

Or am I being too cynical? I dunno.

Can anyone else come up with a LOGICAL reason for not only this DISASTER of a downgrade, but the refusal by TCM to completely and swiftly FIX this disaster after months of evidence of total incompetence and the unhappiness of all the most loyal "customers"?

Everything about all this is so counter-intuitive. I never would have believed it before seeing things unfold like this. It's been so disillusioning. And I was one of those who sang the praises of TCM to everyone around me for years!

Hi Everyone,

I'm sending another reminder today asking for an update. I hope to have something for you Monday. I sincerely apologize for the delay.

Thanks again everyone for being so patient.

-Renee

> {quote:title=MARIEinTheDesert wrote:}{quote}

> I too am trying to come up with ways to explain what's happened that make any sense at all.

>

> All this destruction --

>

> ---the destruction of so much here that worked so well and was so useful;

>

> ---the destruction of so much good will amongst us who were so loyal;

>

> ---the destruction of the good name of TCM when so many no longer rave about their favorite cable network with the kind of infectious enthusiasm that garnered new fans;

>

> ---the destruction of the "brand" of TCM now that it's proven itself too incompetent to fix even the simplest coding problems, and can't be bothered hiring competent people to fix them.

>

> I mean, the Coca-Cola Co. knew when they created "Classic Coke" that they had a real disaster on their hands; and when their loyal "fans" let out a righteous uproar they had the good sense to fix their mistake and regain their "brand loyalty." But not TCM, nope.

>

> So what is it? I can only think of two logical possibilities:

>

> 1) The person responsible for this disaster is a higher-up who's actually a corporate spy for ANOTHER media ownership corporation which wants to destroy TCM for some unknown reason;

>

> OR

>

> 2) The person responsible for this disaster is SO HIGH UP the chain of consolidated media ownership, that the command has been given (perhaps known to only a few) that *the real purpose is to destroy TCM* by decimating its fan base. It can't be the most PROFITABLE enterprise in the vertical chain of ownership now, can it? Not even any commercials! Certainly not a huge moneymaker as part of a vertically integrated media empire, right? And now that the middle class in the U.S. (and elsewhere, for that matter) is being killed in an economy run by the top 2%, even the most loyal fans may no longer be able to spend their hard-earned money on ordering merchandise, the "Now Playing" guide, etc., when the REAL cost of inflation is squeezing the life from the lower 98%.

>

> So maybe if a significant number of loyal fans turn away, the "necessary excuse" to sell or radically change the enterprise into more of a profit-maker can be accomplished in a way that "proves" that providing real, substantive value and maintaining our cultural film heritage just doesn't "work" to make money fast enough for the investors. It's only the lowest-common-denominator products that rake in the cash for those all-important quarterly reports.

>

> Or am I being too cynical? I dunno.

>

> Can anyone else come up with a LOGICAL reason for not only this DISASTER of a downgrade, but the refusal by TCM to completely and swiftly FIX this disaster after months of evidence of total incompetence and the unhappiness of all the most loyal "customers"?

>

> Everything about all this is so counter-intuitive. I never would have believed it before seeing things unfold like this. It's been so disillusioning. And I was one of those who sang the praises of TCM to everyone around me for years!

Excellent post, MARIE out there in the TCM desert!

You summed up this incredibull mess very nicely--covered the essential points (TCM loves to hype the "essentials"). Now you've bounced the *real* essentials back to them!

There is one thing that you can be absolutely sure about, based upon the experience with this Web Administration over the past two months. You will not (repeat: NOT) get any specific answers to any of the issues that you raise in your post. All that we have had, and will continue to get on into next year (if we let this happen), is excuses and delaying tactics and "apologies" for a mess which Renee did not create. She is just a middle person who cannot offer anything other than what she just did in her latest post. BUT NO ANSWERS. NONE.

incredibull

Thank you, incredibull, that was very kind of you to say. I merely put into words my confusion and deep disappointment during these recent months ever since the downgrade.

One thing I'd like to ask you about what you wrote (and I'm putting your quote in italics instead of the quote-box, since the forum software will not permit me to just quote the one sentence I'd like to ask about, and quoting the whole thing would make it look like I'm just trying to spam my OWN post repeatedly! -- _and what's up with THAT technical glitch_??):

All that we have had, and will continue to get on into next year *(if we let this happen)*, is excuses and delaying tactics and "apologies" for a mess which Renee did not create.

Regarding the part I bolded, what do you think we can do, so as to NOT let this happen?

The way it's looking these days, it's a corporate world -- they just permit us to LIVE in it (as long as we don't complain about being squeezed into bare survival mode in our new Gilded Age, or believe our opinions carry any weight without a hefty stock portfolio to back them up).

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for the civil expression of dissent to our corporate overlords. I just can't think of anything more that can be done in this instance. So if you have some ideas, I'm all ears.

And since I would hate to go off-topic in this thread (the purpose of which being our continued public feedback on what makes us unhappy about the downgrade), if you consider your answers to be off-topic, feel free to send me a msg. ;-)

Marie

I bet the whole sad thing to this is that the whole thing is sourced out. If there were a few people down the hall who ran the thing we wouldn't still be talking about it. Like most technology repairs, at least those I have experienced at my job (and I'm just a user) is you fix one thing and break two more.

Who knows, maybe the people that handle this for TCM have them as a low priority. You'd think no matter how much they were getting paid for it they'd want to keep their customer, and subsequently us, happy.

Maybe some of it is they are having trouble duplicating troubles some of us have. I know I'm not having near the trouble it sounds like some are having. The generic stuff like missing the 31st on the months and the previews on the posts and even directions on how to use the tricks in the posts are gone but overall I have had little trouble. That's not to diminish those who are having it but I bet it is all that TCM is at the mercy of some outside handler.

I doubt, as someone proposed, that some conspiracy is going on. After all, it they didn't want to fool with it TCM would pull the plug on parts of this site and be done with it. It wouldn't be worth the aggravation if they wanted to get rid of it.

The Buck Rogers chapters shown between 11 am and 12 noon ET today (Saturday, April 30) were not on the TCM April schedule and I would like to have seen them. I mention this in case this omission is due to the upgrade earlier this year and someone on their technical team can solve this problem.

I'm not even sure where to write this because this messageboard is so confusing, but the Remind Me feature is broken again. When you click on it and the box pops up it no longer lists the date and times of future airings. It just says "est." This has been happening on and off for the past few days.

tcmfan1983 - Both problems are happening to me, too. I posted about the "Remind Me" issue. This is about the 3rd or 4th time something has been wrong with it. It's getting frustrating. There should be a single thread just for the "Remind Me" problems. This has been going on for over a month now.

I also got sent back to the forum index when I tried to reply to a message.

This site is so not user-friendly it's kind of ridiculous. I just want to watch my favorite TCM movies and check the website to know when they are going to be repeated in the future. Is that too much to ask? I guess so. :-/

First, let me address the problem which you are having with the TCM software not permitting you to quote a portion of the post to which you are replying. When I write a reply to someone's post, I am presented with a blank area for writing, as though I am writing an email that I am preparing to send. There are several small icons above this blank area, used for bold, italic, and underlining the various characters in the message. In addition to these character modifications, there is a special type of icon--a repeated comma. Clicking on this strange icon copies the original post to which I am replying into this formerly blank composing area. It is then a simple matter to erase any of that post which I wish and leave only that small portion of the original post that I want to retain. That is, it is not necessary to quote the whole post to which you are replying in order to retain just a portion of it. I assume that your software for replying to a post works in this same fashion, which is very easy to use to do what you wanted to do.

Now for my suggestion what I think we do to get TCM on the track and fix this broken website--promptly and properly--the "pros" have it.

TCM is currently supplementing its normal source of income (from showing cable TV movies) by aggressively marketing, from its web site, hard copies (DVDs) of its movies and/or movie-related artifacts to anyone who meets the simple purchasing requirements. In the process of selling largely unpopular classic movies to younger viewers, TCM shredded well-established web site features which have been tailored over a long period of time to meet the needs of long-time classic movie fans. TCM's management apparently views these discarded features as "excess baggage." Why lug them around when the new crowd being wooed does not value them highly, if at all?

Why indeed! If TCM management bothered to think about this, it would have rushed to repair the destruction after the immediate outcry of frustration, disgust, and anger arose from the overwhelming majority of long-time TCM fans. But instead, management has chosen to ignore the sustained and loud protests of its classic movie viewer base.

The answer to your question about what we can do to get TCM's management's attention in this very important matter is clear. As is ever the case in corporate America, this answer can be found by "following the money." Since it must certainly be true that a large majority of TCM's viewer-based income outside that from cable TV comes from those who are very unhappy with the broken TCM.COM web site, the surest way to the attention of TCM's management is to *stop buying DVDs and movie-related artifacts from TCM.* It's this simple, MARIE.

Of course, the cessation of DVD buying from TCM is not a hardship for those who can make their own recordings, even though a home-made recording is not a completely satisfactory replacement for a purchased copy. All that is necessary to get this web site damage repaired, quickly and appropriately, is the determination not to let TCM's management continue "biting the hand that feeds it." It is a virtual certainty that, as a result of such a boycott, as it were, TCM will at long last recognize that it is far cheaper to *listen to* its customers than to arrogantly continue to ignore them! Unfortunately, classic movie fans are, by nature, very independent and reluctant to unite in a cause such as this, even when they are being trampled into the dirt.

It's up to them; if their independence induces them to turn the other cheek instead of facing up to the need for positive action to end this current stalemate, then so be it. Let these scared fence-sitters suffer from their own timidity!

incredibull

Edited by: incredibull on Apr 30, 2011 11:48 PM

> {quote:title=incredibull wrote:}{quote}

>... there is a special type of icon--a repeated comma. Clicking on this strange icon copies the original post to which I am replying into this formerly blank composing area.

> incredibull

"That strange icon" isn't a "repeated comma." It is quotation marks.

If they had really wanted to upgrade these primitive forums' software, they would have moved them to V-Bulletin. It is much nicer, has lots of features that are normal on most websites.

> {quote:title=nantru wrote:}{quote}

> tcmfan1983 - Both problems are happening to me, too. I posted about the "Remind Me" issue. This is about the 3rd or 4th time something has been wrong with it. It's getting frustrating. There should be a single thread just for the "Remind Me" problems. This has been going on for over a month now.

And it won't be the last time, either. But take heart--you may stop being reminded early in the year 2012.

>

> I also got sent back to the forum index when I tried to reply to a message.

The good news about this problem is that it has been fixed--for one specific thread, that is. By the time all threads are liberated from this redirection plague upon replying to a post, you will likely be six feet under! Such is the pace of the fixit job being coordinated by Renee. Wow!

>

> This site is so not user-friendly it's kind of ridiculous. I just want to watch my favorite TCM movies and check the website to know when they are going to be repeated in the future. Is that too much to ask? I guess so. :-/

So what else is new? What *you* want to do is apparently not what the juvenile set wants to do, which leaves *you* out in the cold. They are still in the dark, as to be expected.

And yes, it *is* too much to ask.

That's incredibull