Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

> {quote:title=TCMFANFORYEARS wrote:}{quote}

> The Buck Rogers chapters shown between 11 am and 12 noon ET today (Saturday, April 30) were not on the TCM April schedule and I would like to have seen them. I mention this in case this omission is due to the upgrade earlier this year and someone on their technical team can solve this problem.

The technical team solve this problem? Forget it. You're wishing for the moon!

On second thought, this is where Buck Rogers is heading. So you may have a chance :-)

incredibull

I have noticed.

I live in the Pacific time zone and the monthly schedule which I received by email was in the Eastern time zone.

Furthermore, I see no way to get a monthly schedule in the Pacific time zone. I did not have this problem before March of this year, and I see no reason whatsoever that I should have this problem two months later.

Do you, Renee?

How long can you go on apologizing for this *intolerable* state of affairs and promising updates to go along with "upgrade"?

incredibull

> {quote:title=incredibull wrote:}{quote}

> You bit, and have confirmed my faith :-)

>

Okay, so you were kidding about the "strange icon." That occurred to me later. But, that's no goofier than some of the other stuff you post. That can make it hard to spot the jests...

Put those brain cells to work! Sorting these things all out is part of the fun in this straight-laced crowd. Or do you consider it to be work?

Here is something for you (I suspect) to consider. It is said that exercising the brain keeps Mr. A away. Now don't ask me to identify him. Just work it out. Now let's see: 2+2=?

By the way, *you* should be so "goofy".

incredibull

> {quote:title=incredibull wrote:}{quote} How long can you (Renee) go on apologizing for this *intolerable* state of affairs and promising updates to go along with "upgrade"?

As long as her bosses (who probably created this mess to begin with) tell her to. She probably likes having a paycheck every week.

I, too, live outside the magical EDT. My computations are not quite so drastic, though. I only have to figure one hour. That being said, I didn't used to have to figure it at all. C'mon TCM, and get this straightened out. I like the Golden Age of musicals, but I'm not a dancer myself. Don't make me haev to dance like Ann Miller to get the information I need and want!

> First, let me address the problem which you are having with the TCM software not permitting you to quote a portion of the post to which you are replying. When I write a reply to someone's post, I am presented with a blank area for writing, as though I am writing an email that I am preparing to send. There are several small icons above this blank area, used for bold, italic, and underlining the various characters in the message. In addition to these character modifications, there is a special type of icon--a repeated comma. Clicking on this strange icon copies the original post to which I am replying into this formerly blank composing area. It is then a simple matter to erase any of that post which I wish and leave only that small portion of the original post that I want to retain. That is, it is not necessary to quote the whole post to which you are replying in order to retain just a portion of it. I assume that your software for replying to a post works in this same fashion, which is very easy to use to do what you wanted to do.

>

> Now for my suggestion what I think we do to get TCM on the track and fix this broken website--promptly and properly--the "pros" have it.

>

> TCM is currently supplementing its normal source of income (from showing cable TV movies) by aggressively marketing, from its web site, hard copies (DVDs) of its movies and/or movie-related artifacts to anyone who meets the simple purchasing requirements. In the process of selling largely unpopular classic movies to younger viewers, TCM shredded well-established web site features which have been tailored over a long period of time to meet the needs of long-time classic movie fans. TCM's management apparently views these discarded features as "excess baggage." Why lug them around when the new crowd being wooed does not value them highly, if at all?

>

> Why indeed! If TCM management bothered to think about this, it would have rushed to repair the destruction after the immediate outcry of frustration, disgust, and anger arose from the overwhelming majority of long-time TCM fans. But instead, management has chosen to ignore the sustained and loud protests of its classic movie viewer base.

>

> The answer to your question about what we can do to get TCM's management's attention in this very important matter is clear. As is ever the case in corporate America, this answer can be found by "following the money." Since it must certainly be true that a large majority of TCM's viewer-based income outside that from cable TV comes from those who are very unhappy with the broken TCM.COM web site, the surest way to the attention of TCM's management is to *stop buying DVDs and movie-related artifacts from TCM.* It's this simple, MARIE.

>

> Of course, the cessation of DVD buying from TCM is not a hardship for those who can make their own recordings, even though a home-made recording is not a completely satisfactory replacement for a purchased copy. All that is necessary to get this web site damage repaired, quickly and appropriately, is the determination not to let TCM's management continue "biting the hand that feeds it." It is a virtual certainty that, as a result of such a boycott, as it were, TCM will at long last recognize that it is far cheaper to *listen to* its customers than to arrogantly continue to ignore them! Unfortunately, classic movie fans are, by nature, very independent and reluctant to unite in a cause such as this, even when they are being trampled into the dirt.

>

> It's up to them; if their independence induces them to turn the other cheek instead of facing up to the need for positive action to end this current stalemate, then so be it. Let these scared fence-sitters suffer from their own timidity!

>

>

> incredibull

>

> Edited by: incredibull on Apr 30, 2011 11:48 PM

Hey Incredibull, I think you have hit it on the head!!! I agree completely with you. I have posted a plea to the persons making the website to correct this issue with a simple request to make it possible for us of 'little means' (that is, little money for dvd purchases) to have a viewable and useable schedule printed in simple form for our particlar time zone. Hopefully this is within their expertese but that is only a hope considering how big this issue has become with most of us older viewers.

It should not be hard to get this done and if they are having difficulty doing it, they might ask one of their children for some help. In some bizaar way I was able to print the schedule for April but it seems that loophole has been plugged now because typing in the exact same address (changing only the date and month) no longer works as before.

Ahhh isnt this all about greed?

To TCM: hopefully your work is progressing on reducing the size of the monthly printable schedule.

Thought I'd pass along to you I had kept MS Word documents for the 2008 and 2009 May Schedules. Both are 21 pages in length.

This May's schedule in the new format - 52 pages. It's too long for me to bother printing anymore.

There are so few movies appearing on a single page now it's hard to know what day a movie is playing (e.g. the header "9 Monday" is several pages back).

I miss going through a hard copy printed schedule and highlighting the movies I want to watch during the month.

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I'm sending another reminder today asking for an update. I hope to have something for you Monday. I sincerely apologize for the delay.

>

> Thanks again everyone for being so patient.

> -Renee

Tuesday, May 2, 2011 has now come and gone in the Eastern time zone.

Two months and two days after the "upgrade" to the TCM web site, and after innumerable promises by the Web Administrator to the contrary, there is still no publicly posted May, 2011 schedule available for the PACIFIC time zone!

Without knowing what is to be playing and when, neither I nor any other person who watches TCM's movies on TV can use a Web Administrator's *promise* to plan his/her May, 2011 viewing in the PACIFIC time zone.

If this schedule is available but hidden for some strange reason, where (URL) is it IMMEDIATELY available on the TCM web site?

If it is not, then why isn't it?

incredibull

Went to watch some shorts I had set to record according to TCM's schedule of course they weren't recorded to do their insufficient web staff that handles the schedule. If they worked for me they would be fired, most likely this job is outsourced where the workers don't understand or read English.

Amazing. The Buck Rogers and History of Hollywood showings are actually appearing in the TCM.com schedules now. I'm looking forward to all of the upcoming "Letterbox" presentations of Buck Rogers... idiots.

Everything else remains thoroughly broken. The Remind Me feature is still dead because the dates are missing, and the rest of the coding on those pages are still busted so you have to hit back twice to get off of the page even after closing the Remind Me box. The forum still sends me back to the index every time I try to post. The slew of other problems that we've all been reporting are still there.

> {quote:title=tcmfan1983 wrote:}{quote}

> Amazing. The Buck Rogers and History of Hollywood showings are actually appearing in the TCM.com schedules now. I'm looking forward to all of the upcoming "Letterbox" presentations of Buck Rogers... idiots.

>

The "Phantom Plane" (Buck Rogers) is shown in the month schedule on May 7 at 11:00 AM. This is WRONG. My May issue of Now Playing, which I received in the US mail in the middle of April, shows this movie CORRECTLY at 8:00 AM. What is amazing, of course, is that these idiots who put this one and only schedule up on the web site for ALL (every time zone) to get are allowed to do this with impunity from persecution.

> Everything else remains thoroughly broken. The Remind Me feature is still dead because the dates are missing, and the rest of the coding on those pages are still busted so you have to hit back twice to get off of the page even after closing the Remind Me box. The forum still sends me back to the index every time I try to post. The slew of other problems that we've all been reporting are still there.

Of course they are and will be there forever, while Renee promised us an update by May 1. Right, Renee? Let's get Jeff somebody-or-another up here and explain this to all of us.

Go, Jeff. That's right--GO.

incredibull

> {quote:title=ringo wrote:}{quote}

> Went to watch some shorts I had set to record according to TCM's schedule of course they weren't recorded to do their insufficient web staff that handles the schedule. If they worked for me they would be fired, most likely this job is outsourced where the workers don't understand or read English.

Don't blame *them.* They can't be responsible for what they don't understand--either our language or their boss, if they even have one.

incredibull

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I'm sending another reminder today asking for an update. I hope to have something for you Monday. I sincerely apologize for the delay.

>

> Thanks again everyone for being so patient.

> -Renee

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 has now come and gone in the Eastern time zone.

Two months and three days after the "upgrade" to the TCM web site, and after innumerable promises by the Web Administrator to the contrary, there is *still* no publicly posted May, 2011 schedule for the PACIFIC time zone!

Without knowing what is to be playing and when, neither I nor any other person who watches TCM's movies on TV can employ this Web Administrator's promise to plan his/her May, 2011 viewing of TCMs movies in the PACIFIC time zone.

If this schedule is available but hidden for some unexplained reason, where (URL) is it IMMEDIATELY available on the TCM web site?

If it is not, then why isn't it?

incredibull

Hi Everyone,

I continue to send reminders once a week. When I get an update, I will post it. Will send another reminder this morning.

Thanks again for being patient,

-Renee

The so-called Maltin reviews consume a lot of screen space, and often degrade the films. "Nothing interesting" is an odd way for TCM to choose to hype their movies. With the schedule being far more difficult to use now, however, perhaps TCM's decision to have Maltin drive away viewers or anyone who wants to schedule movies is indeed TCM's best choice.

It still seems odd. I hope the TCM employees who find these gems don't mind having their efforts become more fruitless.

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I continue to send reminders once a week. When I get an update, I will post it. Will send another reminder this morning.

>

> Thanks again for being patient,

> -Renee

A "reminder" cannot be used to schedule movie viewing.

Even if you get an "update" from someone-or-another, it will almost certainly be meaningless (translation: not believable).

Reminders and/or updates are *delaying tactics,* which will not sell to anyone who is interested in making up a viewing schedule. Before this "upgrade," drawing up a viewing schedule was a simple matter, in any time zone and with a minimal amount of printing paper. Now, after this "improvement," accomplishing this is virtually impossible, updates to the contrary notwithstanding.

Asking for patience at this late date is irrelevant.

incredibull

Hooray! The backwards "Letterbox" labels are now fixed on the Monthly schedule. It took them two months to probably change a single incorrect character on one line of code. At that pace... well, I won't be expecting anything else to be fixed for at least a few years. It's something, which is appreciated, but it's certainly not much.

> {quote:title=tcmfan1983 wrote:}{quote}

> Hooray! The backwards "Letterbox" labels are now fixed on the Monthly schedule. It took them two months to probably change a single incorrect character on one line of code. At that pace... well, I won't be expecting anything else to be fixed for at least a few years. It's something, which is appreciated, but it's certainly not much.

A few years for this "oops-grade" is an understatement! Can you imagine how long posting a schedule (even one as bad as the currently monthly schedule) in any time zone other than the Eastern time zone might take at this pace? This is

incredibull

> > {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> > Hi Everyone,

> >

> > I continue to send reminders once a week. When I get an update, I will post it. Will send another reminder this morning.

> >

> > Thanks again for being patient,

> > -Renee

>

> A "reminder" cannot be used to schedule movie viewing.

>

> Even if you get an "update" from someone-or-another, it will almost certainly be meaningless (translation: not believable).

>

> Reminders and/or updates are *delaying tactics,* which will not sell to anyone who is interested in making up a viewing schedule. Before this "upgrade," drawing up a viewing schedule was a simple matter, in any time zone and with a minimal amount of printing paper. Now, after this "improvement," accomplishing this is virtually impossible, updates to the contrary notwithstanding.

>

> Asking for patience at this late date is irrelevant.

>

> incredibull

I hope that this Web Adm _gets the word!_