Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

 

>

> The Suggest A Movie is currently under a redesign and may take until the beginning of May before it is implemented.

>

 

Hate to be a nag... ;-)

 

It's been two months since the changes to the website. Still no Suggest A Movie. Mid May is fast approaching...

Link to post
Share on other sites

After pointlessly being sent back to the forum index and making my way back to this thread...

 

Wow, this may be two fixes in one day. On the Monthly schedule the 31st of the month is there as ValentineXavier mentioned, AND the line of wasted space has been removed in the middle of each event's information. Incredible. That had to be maybe 5 seconds of coding to fix both of those (changing the improper 30-day cap to a 31-day cap, and removing a line break from the sloppy script generating the schedule page). I wonder how many thousands of dollars TCM had to pay to get those absurdly minuscule changes to be made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=jbraithwaite wrote:}{quote}> I would certainly expect it to be! But why your post??

 

From what I've read on other posts, it wasn't there when that schedule was first put up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right. All months with 31 days were showing up as only having 30 days. In March, the only way to see the schedule for the 31st on the TCM site was to look at the daily schedule, or if you were lucky you could use a saved copy of the "real" Monthly schedule that was up in early March before the site was trashed by the design changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=tcmfan1983 wrote:}{quote}

> After pointlessly being sent back to the forum index and making my way back to this thread...

>

> Wow, this may be two fixes in one day. On the Monthly schedule the 31st of the month is there as ValentineXavier mentioned, AND the line of wasted space has been removed in the middle of each event's information. Incredible. That had to be maybe 5 seconds of coding to fix both of those (changing the improper 30-day cap to a 31-day cap, and removing a line break from the sloppy script generating the schedule page). I wonder how many thousands of dollars TCM had to pay to get those absurdly minuscule changes to be made.

 

I don't understand this business about *"wasted space"* at all! You say that wasted space has been removed in the middle of each event's information. Incredible.

 

What wasted space? Where? Please explain what you are talking about. I am new here, now that I have some spare time to watch those marvelous old "classic" movies, but I do not understand all of the criticisms that are being leveled here at this web site.

 

If you cannot properly do so, is there someone else here in this forum that can please tell me what this is all about and how it might affect my future viewing of these movies?

 

jeremy

Link to post
Share on other sites

*What wasted space? Where? Please explain what you are talking about. I am new here, now that I have some spare time to watch those marvelous old "classic" movies, but I do not understand all of the criticisms that are being leveled here at this web site.*

 

JB,

 

This is the Tech Forum for problems with using the website. (The Discussion Forums for enjoying movies is at the very top of the main forum page.).

 

Since this entire website underwent a major upgrade two months ago, certain features have not been working properly.

 

One of the biggest problems is with printing out the monthly schedule. Before the upgrade, it was easy to do. Since the upgrade, it now takes twice as much paper due to large parts of wasted space on the printed page.

 

Though, it sounds like in the last few days, that problem is being worked on.

 

This entire thread is dedicated to problems that people have been having with the various areas of the website since the upgrade.

 

If you want to talk about the movies and features on TCM, you can do so in the Discussion Forums!

 

Hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One could, of course, condense the monthly schedule by doing a cut-and-paste into MS Word (or whatever) and deleting all double line feeds. I realize it's extra work, but it is do-able. (One could also shrink the font size to make it smaller.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *What wasted space? Where? Please explain what you are talking about. I am new here, now that I have some spare time to watch those marvelous old "classic" movies, but I do not understand all of the criticisms that are being leveled here at this web site.*

>

> JB,

>

> This is the Tech Forum for problems with using the website. (The Discussion Forums for enjoying movies is at the very top of the main forum page.).

>

> Since this entire website underwent a major upgrade two months ago, certain features have not been working properly.

>

> One of the biggest problems is with printing out the monthly schedule. Before the upgrade, it was easy to do. Since the upgrade, it now takes twice as much paper due to large parts of wasted space on the printed page.

>

> Though, it sounds like in the last few days, that problem is being worked on.

>

> This entire thread is dedicated to problems that people have been having with the various areas of the website since the upgrade.

>

> If you want to talk about the movies and features on TCM, you can do so in the Discussion Forums!

>

> Hope this helps.

 

Thank you for answering my questions about at least some of the continuing troubles with the TCM web site.

 

In browsing through some of these forums for information about watching these movies within a limited time schedule, I have noticed continuing references to incorrect movie time schedules given here for the various US time zones. This seems to be an irritation for a large number of users, who cannot find out what is being shown when in different time zones. I understand that the only monthly schedule available is for the Eastern time zone. Is this correct? If it is, I do not understand why this is the case. Can you enlighten me on this subject, which is incomprehensible to me at this early time, before I forge ahead?

 

jeremy

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ECL wrote:}{quote}

> One could, of course, condense the monthly schedule by doing a cut-and-paste into MS Word (or whatever) and deleting all double line feeds. I realize it's extra work, but it is do-able. (One could also shrink the font size to make it smaller.)

 

Isn't this a bit ridiculous, when (as I understand it now) this maneuvering around a newly manufactured problem was never necessary prior to an "upgrade" in the web site?

 

Do you mean that one could also shrink the font size while *still* wasting a lot of space (now that I understand this concept)?

 

 

Would not this make it much harder for the elderly/disabled to read?

 

Isn't this "solution" to the unnecessary also more than a bit ridiculous?

 

jeremy

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the people who approved these changes actually USED these, they'd have never done it. If the programmers "designing" this actually USED it, they'd have never done it.

 

I wish they'd put EXPAND on the TITLE DESCRIPTION and leave the BuyThisDVD and Maltin's anti- reviews tucked away, or get rid of Maltin's completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you haven't checked out the schedule pages in the last two days, it might be worth a visit. Looks like many of the problems (too many pages to print out, time zone snafus, Remind Me button, etc) have been fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's getting so I can't keep track of all the changes and fixes. Am I just missing something or is the monthly schedule still only the current month without being able to get the next two? I know we can go out that far on the daily schedule and if we know the link can get those advance months, but one click was always simpler especially for people who are not regulars here and don't know their way around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better. At least I can get the schedule in the central time zone now. I haven't tried printing it out yet so I hope thatworks too.

 

Now if I can just keep from getting bounced back to the main page when I post on the forums. My computer is slow enough as it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> It's getting so I can't keep track of all the changes and fixes. Am I just missing something or is the monthly schedule still only the current month without being able to get the next two? I know we can go out that far on the daily schedule and if we know the link can get those advance months, but one click was always simpler especially for people who are not regulars here and don't know their way around.

 

You are quite correct. The monthly schedule is still only the current month without being able to get the next two. Apparently you and I are the only ones who recognizes this large error!

 

I cannot understand why this is the case. Does anyone know?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Markfp2, in search of a solution to my own upgrade problem, I found that you can advance to the future months if you desire. Just go to SCHEDULE under the TCM symbol (top left corner) and click "Full TCM Schedule". A Day/Month calendar will appear at the top center of the page to the left of "Time Zone". Click it and then click the TINY ARROW at the right of the month (May) to advance to the month you want up to August 2011. That's as far as it will go. Now, if only they'd allow the arrow on the left of May to back up to prior months so I can retrieve the March schedule TCM failed to send to my email 3 months ago! I've been asking for it for 3 months now in the only location that now allows us to gripe, the "Contact Us" section. I've expressed to them I collect the schedules and it doesn't matter how old they are, I still want it, to no avail. Maybe someone who gives a S_-T will see this and finally do something about it !!! Good luck with your issue!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse3, that is a find! I hadn't noticed it. But, I think most of us want to display the full month's calendar, for upcoming months, not just select individual days. Have you found a way to display an entire upcoming month, like we can the May calendar?

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> I think most of us want to display the full month's calendar, for upcoming months, not just select individual days. Have you found a way to display an entire upcoming month, like we can the May calendar?

 

This seems to be the burning question of the moment, doesn't it?

 

NURSE3 unfortunately does not have the right prescription for accomplishing this. So back to the drawing board..I also doubt that those who are supposed to be straightening out this scheduling disaster have it, either. We will see how this plays out as the weeks, months, and years roll by. But years are very iffy with *me.*

Link to post
Share on other sites

FALSE FRANTIC FIXIT FOLLIES

 

I spoke too quickly about the continuing saga of the monthly schedule. After I looked closely at the results of my 33 page May printout, I discovered several flaws (of a varying degree of severity) that were not evident at a quick glance.

 

(1) Failure to wrap descriptive text during printout--*serious* folly

 

This programming error is not in evidence on the computer screen, but appears predictably in the printout. A long, single-line text description is erroneously cut off at the right paper margin; i.e., without wrapping around to the next line. Characters were unceremoniously chopped off when this margin was reached, in a portrait mode printout on letter size paper.

 

Proper word wrapping was obtained by printing out the schedule in landscape mode; i.e., using a horizontal paper width of 11 inches. Unfortunately, when this was done the page count increased from 33 to 45, due to the large areas of blank paper. This is unacceptable, given that this programming error is easily corrected by wrapping the lines to the paper width in portrait mode.

 

(2) Peculiar (very) starting times for days--long standing TCM folly

 

As these schedules currently appear, all days start at 6:00 AM in ET, 5:00 AM in CT, 4:00 AM in MT, and 3:00 AM in PT!! This is certainly novel, but WRONG. As has been explained by many people on various occasions in these forums, a day starts at the same time (MIDNIGHT) in all time zones. Why is this so difficult for these junior (foreign?) programmers to comprehend?

 

(3) Miscellaneous follies

 

a. The current content descriptions are in a larger size type than the remaining data (casting and timing). This makes no sense. All type size should be the same, as was the case *before the "upgrade" of the format occurred.*

 

b. It appears that this schedule was designed (unexplainably) for a two-color printout. When printed in monochrome, this left gray, horizontal lines separating adjacent movie titles. But now that excess spacing between adjacent titles has at last been eliminated, printing out the current schedule in monochrome leaves (occasionally) faint horizontal line remnants from what went before in this fixit follies. Were this schedule to be done properly, these faint lines (in fact, all horizontal lines of separation) would not be present, and there would be no "need" for a color printout of the schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The day schedule is a holdover from the days when television ran from morning till night. A broadcast day began around 6am (at least in the east) and would end around midnight or later. So, the fact that the broadcast day doesn't begin at midnight has less to do with someone's error than that is pretty much the way it was always done. It is hardly TCM's folly and certainly not the programmer's fault.

 

Not even the networks start their broadcast day at midnight.

 

Didn't you ever get TV Guide? They used to do it that way too. They might still do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> The day schedule is a holdover from the days when television ran from morning till night. A broadcast day began around 6am (at least in the east) and would end around midnight or later. So, the fact that the broadcast day doesn't begin at midnight has less to do with someone's error than that is pretty much the way it was always done. It is hardly TCM's folly and certainly not the programmer's fault.

>

> Not even the networks start their broadcast day at midnight.

>

> Didn't you ever get TV Guide? They used to do it that way too. They might still do.

 

If a"holdover" is not applicable today, as is certainly the case, then it should be discarded. The time is long past doing this with this anachronism. The excuse that "this is the way that it was always done" is unacceptable. It *is* an error NOW.

 

A schedule is used for programming a recorder, and recorders start their day at midnight. Period. This is what counts, "holdovers" notwithstanding.

 

No, I do not get a TV guide. My cable company puts the guide in its software, and it is viewed by using the remote. This guide, as expected, *starts its day at midnight.* Period. Double period.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

 

Here are the updates that I received late yesterday:

 

PRINT SCHEDULE - Implemented changes to cut the number of printed pages in half

TIME ZONE - Implemented so that the selected time zone remains as selected. All Time Zones are available on Monthly Schedule

REMIND ME FEATURE - Implemented changes to fix blank popup. Additional updates to be made to fix intermittent instances of no air date/time displayed in popup are planned for 25May2011

3 MONTH SCHEDULE - Available by month through the dropdown menu (calendar) on the Schedule

 

SUGGEST A MOVIE - Target date is now mid--June

 

PREVIEW POST - Target date is May 18

SAVE NOW - Target date is May 18

SPELL CHECK - Target date is mid--June

THREADS THAT HAVE LARGE AMOUNTS OF PAGES - Still investigating and testing

 

Let me know if there are new issues not addressed that need reviewing.

 

Thanks again everyone for your patience,

-Renee

Link to post
Share on other sites

>No, I do not get a TV guide. My cable company puts the guide in its software, and it is viewed by using the remote. This guide, as expected, starts its day at midnight. Period. Double period.

 

I meant when you were younger. They always started theirs at 5:30 or 6:00am. The networks aren't going to start their day in the middle of Leno or Letterman. I doubt you can have different tv channels starting at different points in the day. It used to be that the FCC would require a log be kept on what was shown and if they still do I would imagine there is some uniformity to it.

 

On top of that they days were probably started at the hour many would get up and start their day. I doubt networks are worried about what anyone's recorder shows.

 

Your idea of an error may be everyone else's procedure. Maybe someday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...