Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

Is TCM ever going to fix the problem where the site takes you back to the homepage when you try to reply to a message and then you have to go search for the thread again, and then it only lets you reply when you hit reply again after finding your way back to the thread?

Which is exactly what happened when I decided to reply to your post earlier today about the updates.

I don't see this problem mentioned in your list of fixes still to be made.

Thanks.

They may mean when you pull up the schedule and then click on today's date in the box to the right of the search box. That gives you an arrow that will take you to June's schedule and then to July's. Then you have to click on the date you want to see. That is the only way I know they might refer to.

> {quote:title=Old_Is_Debatable wrote:}{quote}

> FALSE FRANTIC FIXIT FOLLIES

>

> I spoke too quickly about the continuing saga of the monthly schedule. After I looked closely at the results of my 33 page May printout, I discovered several flaws (of a varying degree of severity) that were not evident at a quick glance.

>

> (1) Failure to wrap descriptive text during printout--*serious* folly

>

> This programming error is not in evidence on the computer screen, but appears predictably in the printout. A long, single-line text description is erroneously cut off at the right paper margin; i.e., without wrapping around to the next line. Characters were unceremoniously chopped off when this margin was reached, in a portrait mode printout on letter size paper.

>

> Proper word wrapping was obtained by printing out the schedule in landscape mode; i.e., using a horizontal paper width of 11 inches. Unfortunately, when this was done the page count increased from 33 to 45, due to the large areas of blank paper. This is unacceptable, given that this programming error is easily corrected by wrapping the lines to the paper width in portrait mode.

>

Thank you so much, Old_Is_Debatable!

I don't know very much about computers and printing and things like this. But your post that identifies descriptive lines which are chopped off at the right end when the page is printed sure opened my eyes to something that I was not aware of. A line which appears OK on the computer screen gets chopped off when it is printed!! That's strange, but now that I know what to look for, I will always check a printed schedule to see whether this flaw (another f in the follies, by the way) still exists. I don't really trust those people who are supposed to be fixing this problem. They may say that it has been fixed when it has not been fixed, and I can catch this now that you have warned us about it.

Anyway, I believe that you should identify yourself as Old_Is_Dependable instead of Old_Is_Debatable. I am not old, but I sure know that those junior programmers who are trying to fix this mess are not dependable. And this is NOT debatable.

Will we ever get this "fixed"? I doubt it. This is really, really terrible after all this time waiting.

Anamarye

> {quote:title=anamarye wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Old_Is_Debatable wrote:}{quote}

> > FALSE FRANTIC FIXIT FOLLIES

> >

> > I spoke too quickly about the continuing saga of the monthly schedule. After I looked closely at the results of my 33 page May printout, I discovered several flaws (of a varying degree of severity) that were not evident at a quick glance.

> >

> > (1) Failure to wrap descriptive text during printout--*serious* folly

> >

> > This programming error is not in evidence on the computer screen, but appears predictably in the printout. A long, single-line text description is erroneously cut off at the right paper margin; i.e., without wrapping around to the next line. Characters were unceremoniously chopped off when this margin was reached, in a portrait mode printout on letter size paper.

> >

> > Proper word wrapping was obtained by printing out the schedule in landscape mode; i.e., using a horizontal paper width of 11 inches. Unfortunately, when this was done the page count increased from 33 to 45, due to the large areas of blank paper. This is unacceptable, given that this programming error is easily corrected by wrapping the lines to the paper width in portrait mode.

> >

> Thank you so much, Old_Is_Debatable!

>

> I don't know very much about computers and printing and things like this. But your post that identifies descriptive lines which are chopped off at the right end when the page is printed sure opened my eyes to something that I was not aware of. A line which appears OK on the computer screen gets chopped off when it is printed!! That's strange, but now that I know what to look for, I will always check a printed schedule to see whether this flaw (another f in the follies, by the way) still exists. I don't really trust those people who are supposed to be fixing this problem. They may say that it has been fixed when it has not been fixed, and I can catch this now that you have warned us about it.

>

> Anyway, I believe that you should identify yourself as Old_Is_Dependable instead of Old_Is_Debatable. I am not old, but I sure know that those junior programmers who are trying to fix this mess are not dependable. And this is NOT debatable.

>

> Will we ever get this "fixed"? I doubt it. This is really, really terrible after all this time waiting.

>

> Anamarye

Thank you very much for your compliments, Anamarye. You need not worry about this particular printing problem (in fact, about most of these schedule-related problems) for much longer. Rest assured that I am going to hold some feet to the fire to make sure that this matter is taken care of. There will be no more false promises of "fixit" and then run and hide without any public accountability, right here in this forum! We have put up with this unaccountable nonsense for far too long!

So hang on (to what would be your hat in the olden days) for what promises to be a rough ride for *somebody.*

Wisdom comes with age. Depend on it.

> {quote:title=MovieMadness wrote:}{quote}

> *3 MONTH SCHEDULE - Available by month through the dropdown menu (calendar) on the Schedule*

>

> Is anyone able to find this fix?

Of course. I am working on this case, which is almost solved!

You have come to the right place. Elementary, Dear Watson :-)

I shall give you two clues.

Clue #1

The activity which is going on here can be described with a single word, beginning with the letter "C".

Clue #2

Note that the TCM Web Adm thanked Kyle for his very erroneous assessment that all of the problems with the schedules appear to have been fixed. At the same time, the TCM Web Adm failed to thank me for a detailed explanation of the problems (some severe) which still plague web site scheduling and do not appear to be addressed in the list of promised "fixes". Now why do you think that that one individual was thanked for his wrong assessment while another individual was ignored for posting his correct assessment of the continuing ongoing mess?

Why indeed!

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}

> 3 MONTH SCHEDULE - Available by month through the dropdown menu (calendar) on the Schedule

> Let me know if there are new issues not addressed that need reviewing.

>

>

>

> Thanks again everyone for your patience,

> -Renee

Renee, I don't think most of us consider this problem fixed. What you're talking about will let us access any individual day for three months ahead. What we want, and used to have, are links to print out a full month for June and July, just like we can for May. The addresses still exist, Kyle posted them in the other thread. But, we can find no links to them with the drop down menus. Before the site changes, the links were under "Full TCM Schedule," up at the top, with options to print a full month - this month, next month, month after that. Can you please ask them to reinstall links for those upcoming months? Thanks!

Edited by: ValentineXavier on May 17, 2011 9:11 PM

"3 MONTH SCHEDULE - Available by month through the dropdown menu (calendar) on the Schedule"

*"Is anyone able to find this fix?"* - MovieMadness

MM -

Before the "upgrade", was one able to access the full-month page of listings for upcoming months through the daily schedule page? I don't remember as I never accessed them through that area.

I do remember tabs for upcoming months' _daily_ schedules that displayed daily listings for the coming months - but not for the full-month page. I've always accessed upcoming full-month listings through an adapted webpage address.

Otherwise, the three-month schedule _is_ available - by day only - through the drop-down calendar menu. This is just as it was before. If you are looking for a link to the full-month page for June or July, it isn't there. And I am not sure it was there on the schedule page before the recent site changes. Let me know if I am mistaken.

Kyle In Hollywood

*" Before the site changes, the links were under "Full TCM Schedule," up at the top, with options to print a full month - this month, next month, month after that. Can you please ask them to reinstall links for those upcoming months? Thanks!"* - VX

Hi VX.

OK. So I was mistaken. You remember such links to the full-month pages being there in the past. I am sure that returning them will be an easy addition.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"You need not worry about this particular printing problem (in fact, about most of these schedule-related problems) for much longer. Rest assured that I am going to hold some feet to the fire to make sure that this matter is taken care of. There will be no more false promises of "fixit" and then run and hide without any public accountability, right here in this forum! We have put up with this unaccountable nonsense for far too long! So hang on (to what would be your hat in the olden days) for what promises to be a rough ride for somebody."* - --O_IS_D-- O__IS_D

I read this as a threat to act in a nefarious (or worse?) manner in these Forums. You may wish to take it down.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *" Before the site changes, the links were under "Full TCM Schedule," up at the top, with options to print a full month - this month, next month, month after that. Can you please ask them to reinstall links for those upcoming months? Thanks!"* - VX

>

> Hi VX.

>

> OK. So I was mistaken. You remember such links to the full-month pages being there in the past. I am sure that returning them will be an easy addition.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

I'm absolutely 100% sure they were there before the changes. They were not under the "Month" button in the drop-down, but under the "Full Schedule," as I said above. There was the current month, and the next two months. Now, for one month past those three months, I could only access those when someone posted a link.

Yes, one would think that returning the buttons would be easy.

The 3 Month Schedule is only available as described. I expressed the desire of members to have a 3 Month Schedule printable or available with all 3 Months at one viewing, but it was not implemented in this upgrade. I will let the technical team know as I have been doing, the desire for this function to return. If it were to return, it would take a while. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you

-Renee

Renee -

The question remains as to exactly what TCM corporate was thinking when they decided to eliminate the ability of fans to see and print the schedule 2 months in advance.

Why?

Was it because they want us to buy "Now Playing?" As in, more $$$ in their pockets?

Was it because they want us to buy more of the DVDs which they now hawk ENDLESSLY?

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but you don't remove a feature like this without some REASON.

And excuse me for being a bit more cynical, but changing the way the data displays is an easy fix. Really easy. All the information sits in a database. The programmer just calls what fields they want to display. In fact, I would suggest that it would be a simple matter to have a on-screen display and a more printer-friendly version with small type. The schedule (the one we print) doesn't need to be pretty -- it just needs to EXIST!

Your loyal fan base is calling, TCM. Pretend for a minute that you actually care -- and fix this. Now, not in some further "upgrade."

After being forced back to the forum index when I hit the reply button (which will probably never, ever be fixed)...

You can get future month schedules with addresses like this one:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01

That will give you this month for the most recently selected time zone at the top of the monthly schedule page. The 05 part is the month, so it you change that to 06, 07, or 08 you can see the schedule for any of the next three months. If you try to change the time zone selection on a different month than the current one, you will be forced back to the current month. Bugs, bugs, bugs.

Here are all of the links for the next few months:

May - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01

June - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-06-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-06-01

July - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-07-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-07-01

August - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-08-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-08-01

> {quote:title=tcmfan1983 wrote:}{quote}

> After being forced back to the forum index when I hit the reply button (which will probably never, ever be fixed)...

>

> You can get future month schedules with addresses like this one:

> http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01

>

> That will give you this month for the most recently selected time zone at the top of the monthly schedule page. The 05 part is the month, so it you change that to 06, 07, or 08 you can see the schedule for any of the next three months. If you try to change the time zone selection on a different month than the current one, you will be forced back to the current month. Bugs, bugs, bugs.

>

> Here are all of the links for the next few months:

>

> May - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01

> June - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-06-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-06-01

> July - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-07-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-07-01

> August - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-08-01|http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-08-01

Now I'm really really confused! Where did this information come from? I didn't see anything like it anywhere. Did you get it from the schedule section?

I feel like I'm watching a magic show and the magician just pulled a rabbit out of his hat. But this keeps going on and on at this web site as I try to make sense of everything. I like watching these old movies but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth all of this trouble trying to organize my viewing time.

I will try this thing but I'm not convinced that it will work, from what I've seen in these discussions.

Maybe some useful answers will come along before I go nuts.

> {quote:title=overeasy wrote:}{quote}

> Renee -

>

> The question remains as to exactly what TCM corporate was thinking when they decided to eliminate the ability of fans to see and print the schedule 2 months in advance.

>

> Why?

>

> Was it because they want us to buy "Now Playing?" As in, more $$$ in their pockets?

> Was it because they want us to buy more of the DVDs which they now hawk ENDLESSLY?

>

> Maybe I'm just being cynical, but you don't remove a feature like this without some REASON.

>

> And excuse me for being a bit more cynical, but changing the way the data displays is an easy fix. Really easy. All the information sits in a database. The programmer just calls what fields they want to display. In fact, I would suggest that it would be a simple matter to have a on-screen display and a more printer-friendly version with small type. The schedule (the one we print) doesn't need to be pretty -- it just needs to EXIST!

>

> Your loyal fan base is calling, TCM. Pretend for a minute that you actually care -- and fix this. Now, not in some further "upgrade."

Maybe if you put some money in an envelope and mail it off to TCM somewhere. Anywhere. I think they need it more than you do.

anamarye

Renee - can you please explain this:

"PRINT SCHEDULE - Implemented changes to cut the number of printed pages in half"

I don't see any change when go to print the Month Schedule ... if I copy it to Word it's about 60 pages before the website upgrade was 22 or 23 pages. And this is after reducing the font as small as possible and reducing the top and bottom margins of the page in Word.

What I'm describing is the schedule displayed from the home page when you click on

Schedule > Month Schedule

... are we talking about the same thing?

Can anyone else explain this, thank you.

I totally agree. Making the "schedules 1-3 months ahead" virtually impossible to find to print was a corporate decision. I can just hear the "bean counters" at some meeting: "Why are we letting these people print schedules when, if we make them impossible to find and print, we can SELL more "Now Playing" guides?? Why, that would mean more $$$$ in our pockets. And, who wants them to tape anything anyway?? We want to sell overpriced DVDs!! Even more $$$$!!" I feel sorry for the poor person who has been assigned to try to "calm the masses" on these message boards by attempting to explain away why some of the main features used by people on the TCM website (view and print schedules ahead) have been eliminated in some alleged upgrade. Clearly, this was a deliberate move on the part of TCM corporate and now that fans are complaining they are doing what little they can to calm everybody down while still making it extremely difficult to print a schedule ahead. I, too, can't stand now printing something which is 60 pages/month when it used to be 23 pages or so. Let's waste some paper, shall we? And, while you can copy and paste a schedule to Word, it takes forever to eliminate all the extra line space. Printing a damn schedule should not be that much work.

Also, I am absolutely appalled by the endless SELL SELL SELL mentality which now exists on this supposed "commercial free" network. If trying to sell a DVD at the end of EVERY FILM and the non stop badgering to "Buy Film Festival Tickets, Buy Cruise Tickets, Buy the Movies Unlimited Video Catalogue, Buy Now Playing, Buy DVDs, etc. etc. etc. do not constitute commercials, I don't know what does.

If you access the monthly schedule from the links provided a few posts down:

May - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-05-01

June - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-06-01

July - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-07-01

August - http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-08-01

In the upper right hand corner of each schedule, you can select your time zone and above the time zone is a printer icon.

If you press the printer icon, it should print out the schedule for your selected time zone and the page count is approximately 26 pages.

I happened to be at work last weekend when I printed the schedule out. I printed to the big Xerox copier/printer/fax in our office so I could print on both sides. I got 27 pages for May, 25 for June, and 26 for July. I printed straight from the page, and nothing was cut off. I have absolutely no problem with the broadcast day starting at 5:00am for the Central time zone because it at has always been that way, with the "old TCM schedule" and even before TCM existed. I just need to pay attention when I set my VCR.

*"Also, I am absolutely appalled by the endless SELL SELL SELL mentality which now exists on this supposed "commercial free" network. If trying to sell a DVD at the end of EVERY FILM and the non stop badgering to "Buy Film Festival Tickets, Buy Cruise Tickets, Buy the Movies Unlimited Video Catalogue, Buy Now Playing, Buy DVDs, etc. etc. etc. do not constitute commercials, I don't know what does."* - lydecker

Well, get over it. They are here to stay. Plus, there are so few during the full day that it isn't really worth griping about. Most cable channels offer over 10 minutes of ads during one hour of programming. It's these internal pitches for TCM-related merchandise and other offers which are keeping sponsored-ad time off the channel.

*"Why are we letting these people print schedules when, if we make them impossible to find and print, we can SELL more "Now Playing" guides?? Why, that would mean more $$$$ in our pockets."*

I accept that cynicism isall the rage these days. But if TCM wanted to sell more subscriptions to Now Playing, it would take the printable schedule down altogether. Even if it that was the case, selling an additional 10,000 subscriptions to Now Playing wouldn't amount to a truly large sum of additional revenue. It is definitely not worth the ill-will that would be created from taking down the printable monthly schedule from the website. That said, one should really consider becoming a subscriber if only to support TCM and its "commercial-free" mission. Plus the magazine is worth the $12.95 many times over.

It is not difficult to find the monthly printable schedule. It is in the banner at the top of the page like it was before. And using my browser's "Print Preview" option, it shows that the full schedule for May will print on 29 pages. If I adjusted the top and bottom margins, I could probably save an additional page or two. If you are needing 60 pages to print the month's schedule, then you need to research how to adjust your set-up. There is definitely a problem on your end and not with the printable page.

Kyle In Hollywood

Let's also keep in mind that TCM does not claim to be a commercial-free channel. Their claim is that the movies are aired commercial-free.

There is a difference. At least the ads are related to classic films, they aren't for deodorants, reverse mortgages, sham wows and **** pills.

Obviously some major expunging, here, and on the similar thread. Looks like Oldis, isn't, any more.

Since it was deleted, and this is the appropriate thread, I will repeat -

TCM, please reinstall the links to the full month print outs for the two coming months, that were on the old site. If one knows the addresses, (posted below,) they are still accessible. So, why no links on the TCM home page? Please fix this!

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Obviously some major expunging, here, and on the similar thread. Looks like Oldis, isn't, any more.

>

> Since it was deleted, and this is the appropriate thread, I will repeat -

>

> TCM, please reinstall the links to the full month print outs for the two coming months, that were on the old site. If one knows the addresses, (posted below,) they are still accessible. So, why no links on the TCM home page? Please fix this!

What is it that you are gloating about, Valentine?

As you note (but using a less colorful word set), TCM's Silent Shredder recently went on a rampage. In her fury, she tore up over two whole days of posts made between May 20 and May 22, without so much as a hint (much less an explanation of the reason) in this forum. In fact, it seems that you have been the only one here willing to comment upon this rampage, in contrast with other more timid souls, who are simply looking in the other direction. This action demonstrates how TCM's absolute power and arrogance override common sense and respect for those who pay its bills.

But there is also bad news here for *you* in this, Valentine. SS shortly thereafter told me (privately, of course, of course) that she was seeking to eliminate from this discussion forum those who were pressing too aggressively for TCM to make available at its web site a three month schedule, rather than releasing schedules for any future months through unnamed sources, as is currently being done! You, Valentine, should understand that you are the primary source of TCM's irritation with your insistence that it "fix" this problem. Obviously TCM does not believe that this is a problem and does not like your calling it one. What happened is that, during this flailing around in all directions to silence these ever-louder protests, she mistakenly cut me off, while leaving you free to continue yelling and screaming. This scenario must remind you of some old movie that you have seen on TCM: perhaps The Godfather or Scarface?

To complete the story, OldIsDependable will be quickly reinstated (but with a new user name of his choice) while ValentineXavier will be watching the future action here from the sidelines! So your current gloating about "Oldis" now being "isn't" will be short-lived. But look at the cheerful side of this, Valentine; sitting on the sidelines will be much easier on you than constantly being roughed up in the middle of the fray. You won't grow Old so fast.

OldIsImmortal

*"What is it that you are gloating about, Valentine?"*

There is no gloating in the post you cited.

But these off-topic ("Problems With Upgrade") posts coming from you, which are mostly just a harrangue, will continue to be removed - no matter how offended you feign to be and how many user names you wish to create.

Kyle In Hollywood