Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

> {quote:title=OldIsImmortal wrote:}{quote}

> But there is also bad news here for *you* in this, Valentine. SS shortly thereafter told me (privately, of course, of course) that she was seeking to eliminate from this discussion forum those who were pressing too aggressively for TCM to make available at its web site a three month schedule, rather than *releasing schedules for any future months through unnamed sources, as is currently being done!*

Except for the hole that goes in one ear, and out the other, your head must be 100% bone. As I, and others have repeatedly told you, there are no "unnamed sources." Anyone who had an old link, or has since used a newer one, can simply change the number of the month in the web address, and get succeeding months. And, I'm not boneheaded enough to believe that the posts were deleted because they don't want requests to restore links to printable full month schedules for future months.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Obviously some major expunging, here, and on the similar thread. Looks like Oldis, isn't, any more.

>

> Since it was deleted, and this is the appropriate thread, I will repeat -

>

> TCM, please reinstall the links to the full month print outs for the two coming months, that were on the old site. If one knows the addresses, (posted below,) they are still accessible. So, why no links on the TCM home page? Please fix this!

I have to agree with you, Mr. Xavier. It would be much easier for me to be able to get an advance schedule for planning my classic movie viewing direct from TCM's website than having to depend upon finding it posted somewhere here. I would like to thank Mr. Cutter for his post of the schedules, which I found after some trouble.

Am I right to assume the Mr. Cutter is licensed by TCM to give out this information on these schedules? If he isn't, I wonder where he got it.

janet

If you have problems finding the 3 months ahead, this is what I do to keep track.

Click on one of the links below ( I did June). Book mark that page. Then when you want another month, simply change the date in the link from 06 or whatever you want to see. You always have a quick way to find the 3 months schedule without coming back to this thread.

Edited by: wdh333 on May 27, 2011 8:26 AM

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> oh for goodness sake. It's almost funny.

I can't see what is "almost funny" about trying to find a three month schedule at the TCM web site. This should be easy but it isn't if you have to go searching around or doing all sorts of other things to sort out a confusing mess.

I know, since I tried to get this type schedule recently and wound up with conflicting results from different people here. I also asked questions how to got about this, which were not answered by anyone. I still don't know how to do this.

Almost funny? Not for me, it isn't. I agree with Mr. Xavier that this type of schedule should be available by pulling down a menu at the web site, just like other things are available with such menus.

So please explain to me what is so funny about all of this.

anamarye

It is more about the comments regarding "lzcutter" and questioning their "authorization" and who that poster that wrote it may be than anything about the schedule.

I do find all the fuss about three months worth of schedules a bit much. The links that were always posted in the forums were never official TCM releases.

*"I know, since I tried to get this type schedule recently and wound up with conflicting results from different people here. I also asked questions how to got about this, which were not answered by anyone. I still don't know how to do this."* - anamarye

For years the direct links to the monthly schedules have been posted in these Forums by "resourceful" members of this community. These schedules have been found through an understanding of TCM's practices for creating the web addresses for those pages and past experience of when "new" schedules pages are created.

There is usually a new thread in these Forums created whenever a new month's schedule page appears in which the community gives their first appraisals of the programmers' efforts.

As for its "official" placement on the website (accessible through a link on the site), it is possible that TCM is trying to refrain from persons printing the monthly schedule so far in advance. Any schedule posted three-plus months in advance is a "work-in-progress" and subject to many changes. I believe most of the schedules that "debut" through links in the Forums have some alterations to them as that month approaches. It often results in persons posting threads asking "What happened to...?" when a film "disappears" from the earliest line-ups we find.

And maybe TCM is trying to keep the schedule info out of the hands of their competitors for as long as possible too. FMC and the Encore Channels don't make their schedules easily available three months in advance either. And both seem to be creeping tenatively into more classic film territory as of late.

Kyle In Hollywood

Two very good points, Kyle. I don't know why people can't understand the concept that all schedules are subject to change. That's not just TCM's schedules either. Every schedule for every local station and network is too. They make changes all the time. The difference is nobody knows changes were made because they don't put out their schedule that far in advance. Maybe, TCM has found that what started out as a courtesy is more trouble than it's worth.

It's also true too that by putting the schedules out that far in advance can put them at a competitive disadvantage.

*Am I right to assume the Mr. Cutter is licensed by TCM to give out this information on these schedules? If he isn't, I wonder where he got it.*

Well, as I have frequently suggested, a little research would clear this up in no time. It would also reveal that in the last seven years that I have been a member of this forum, I don't think I have ever been the first person to start a "______ schedule is up!" thread. I respond to them, sure, but I have never been the one that starts the threads or provides the links.

That is done, as many have pointed out repeatedly in this thread, by other long-time posters who have figured out the back door access to schedules that are always a work in progress and that TCM provides to us message board denizens as a courtesy.

Those links and those threads can be found by searching the message board archives.

As for the links I provided in this thread, I copied them from other threads as I have repeatedly explained in various posts.

As I have frequently noted in this thread alone, a little research on your part would go along ways to providing the answers you seek.

Kyle, as we both know, before the site "upgrades," TCM posted links to the current month, and the following two months, in a format to print out a whole month. And, they still have the coming two months in that format, they just aren't posting the links. Your speculation as to why they are no longer posted may well be correct. But, any one with any sense knows that schedules are subject to change, more so the further out they go. Also, I'm sure that many people here liked having those easy links, and wish they would be restored. It couldn't be that difficult.

*"(T)hey still have the coming two months in that format, they just aren't posting the links. Your speculation as to why they are no longer posted may well be correct. But, any one with any sense knows that schedules are subject to change, more so the further out they go. Also, I'm sure that many people here liked having those easy links, and wish they would be restored. It couldn't be that difficult."* - VX

Restoring those links would be welcomed by many and I'm sure it would be an easy "fix." But I think you caught on to the reasoning behind not making them "officially" available yourself.

"Anyone with any sense knows that schedules are subject to change..."

You and I and most everyone who hangs out in the Forums knows how tentative these early schedules can be. But for casual visitors that only went to the homepage and used the links there to access an upcoming schedule, it may not be understood that those pages are actually "works-in-progress". With TCM posting an official link to the upcoming monthly pages, it implies to the visitor that these are finalized schedules worthy of printing. And we know from experience that too often that is NOT the case. I can hear them now. "If it isn't finalized, why are you "telling me" it is ready to print?"

Never underestimate how "confused" some visitors to this site (TCM.com and not necessarily the Forums) can be regarding programming issues. The ones that do migrate here asking questions often need to be enlightened about the most mundane issues. I think we have both answered inquiries posted here that, in our minds, were obvious to us yet we had to be very explicit with our explanations to the new visitor.

For we "savvy" viewers that hang out here in the Forums, it appears we will still have the "easter egg" links to upcoming monthly schedules. So far, TCM hasn't halted our access to these preliminary line-ups. Hopefully that won't change. It is a great "tool" for engaging this community and I think TCM likes reading the reactions from some of their most devoted viewers.

At least, "anyone with any sense" at TCM should understand that.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 29, 2011 10:07 AM

Even the current monthly schedule is sometimes changed, within days, or even hours, of show time. The easy solution is to have a short disclaimer at the top of every month, saying "Schedule subject to change," and maybe have a 'last updated' date posted there too. Then, it should even be clear to most of the dummies.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Even the current monthly schedule is sometimes changed, within days, or even hours, of show time. The easy solution is to have a short disclaimer at the top of every month, saying "Schedule subject to change," and maybe have a 'last updated' date posted there too. Then, it should even be clear to most of the dummies.

I really free strong about this, as you do. I have said this before. Thank you again, Mr. Xavier, for staying with this. Yes, this would be even be clear to *me* if they did this :-)

anamarye

In my opinion, two monthly-schedule issues remain to be resolved, if the needs of those experienced in viewing televised classic movies (from TCM) are to be met. Experienced viewers normally wish to schedule their movie viewing long (perhaps even three months) in advance, and often record these movies, either temporarily for delayed viewing or for building a permanent private archive. Basically, these needs are met by planning movie viewing using a printout of a schedule created at the TCM web site and furnished routinely, without qualification, to all visitors to this site.

Issue #1

Among other things, this printout must contain the starting time and date for each movie on the list. Four schedules are required, corresponding to the four USA time zones.

Issue #2

At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down SCHEDULE menu.

CONCLUSION

That was really easy, wasn't it?

As a point of departure for a possible debate, but *only* on these two specific issues, I am inviting anyone who disagrees with either of them to step forward and state the nature of his/her disagreement. Although anyone who is registered to participate in this forum may post anything that he/she desires, within the web administration's rules, I will not respond to any poster who argues to the effect that "this (i.e., what you deem to be necessary) is contrary to the way that things have always been done by TCM," or that "doing it this way will be too expensive," or that "this will take too long," or that "this is not worth the effort." Etc.

In point of fact, such an argument is company(TCM)-inspired. It is a thinly disguised attempt to evade, by obfuscation, the desired focus upon the most pressing need of the moment. This is a *viewer-oriented* focus upon the desirable function of a schedule for use in preparing future viewing of TELEVISED movies that are currently being promoted on a TCM web site that is simultaneously selling the same movies on DVD. TCM is walking a delicate tightrope here, and there is general agreement that extraordinary measures are required to pull this off successfully.

Hence TCM's business model and where it is headed is a legitimate (for the non-business-oriented viewers of classic movies) subject of an entirely different debate from that which I am proposing. Yes, I also have my opinion on this much more complex matter, which has many (and worrisome) implications. I will not shy away from such a debate, if it can be properly channeled--which I seriously doubt. I do not wish to dilute a sensible effort to resolve these two issues by heading off in all directions at once in the thoughtless, random fashion that is so common in this tightly controlled and frustrating discussion forum.

ic_critter

[Cool Classic Critique]

> {quote:title=ic_critter wrote:}{quote}

> In my opinion, two monthly-schedule issues remain to be resolved, if the needs of those experienced in viewing televised classic movies (from TCM) are to be met. Experienced viewers normally wish to schedule their movie viewing long (perhaps even three months) in advance, and often record these movies, either temporarily for delayed viewing or for building a permanent private archive. Basically, these needs are met by planning movie viewing using a printout of a schedule created at the TCM web site and furnished routinely, without qualification, to all visitors to this site.

>

> Issue #1

>

> Among other things, this printout must contain the starting time and date for each movie on the list. Four schedules are required, corresponding to the four USA time zones.

>

> Issue #2

>

> At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down SCHEDULE menu.

>

I agree with the above, with the exception that it is prudent to check for changes, about a week (or less) ahead of show time, which I do. I only read through succeeding monthly schedules as a form of anticipation, not to take notes on what I want to watch, or record. To do so, so far in advance, would be a mistake.

> As a point of departure for a possible debate, but *only* on these two specific issues, I am inviting anyone who disagrees with either of them to step forward and state the nature of his/her disagreement. Although anyone who is registered to participate in this forum may post anything that he/she desires, within the web administration's rules, I will not respond to any poster who argues to the effect that *"this (i.e., what you deem to be necessary) is contrary to the way that things have always been done by TCM," or that "doing it this way will be too expensive," or that "this will take too long," or that "this is not worth the effort." Etc.*

>

It is unlikely that anyone familiar with the site would argue any such thing, because it would be clearly untrue.

> In point of fact, *such an argument is company(TCM)-inspired. It is a thinly disguised attempt to evade, by obfuscation,* the desired focus upon the most pressing need of the moment.

The fact that the previous statement was untrue makes this allegation preposterous.

Not a debate (yet ;)), but a request for clarification. You mentioned needing four schedules. Are you suggesting four seperate schedules that would have to be searched individually? For example, would I have to search for the schedule for the central time zone, or as it is now, one schedule, with the time zone being changable?

In my opinion, two monthly-schedule issues remain to be resolved, if the needs of those experienced in viewing televised classic movies (from TCM) are to be met. Experienced viewers normally wish to schedule their movie viewing long (perhaps even three months) in advance, and often record these movies, either temporarily for delayed viewing or for building a permanent private archive. Basically, these needs are met by planning movie viewing using a printout of a schedule created at the TCM web site and furnished routinely, without qualification, to all visitors to this site.

Issue #1

Among other things, this printout must contain the starting time and date for each movie on the list. Four schedules are required, corresponding to the four USA time zones.

Issue #2

At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down "SCHEDULE" menu.

CONCLUSION

As a point of departure for a possible debate, but *only* on these two specific issues, I am inviting anyone who disagrees with either of them to step forward and state the nature of his/her disagreement. Although anyone who is registered to participate in this forum may post anything that he/she desires, within the web administration's rules, I will not respond to any poster who argues to the effect that "this (i.e., what you deem to be necessary) is contrary to the way that things have always been done by TCM," or that "doing it this way will be too expensive," or that "this will take too long," or that "this is not worth the effort." Etc.

In point of fact, such an argument is company(TCM)-inspired. It is a thinly disguised attempt to evade, by obfuscation, the desired focus upon the most pressing need of the moment. This is a *viewer-oriented* focus upon the desirable function of a schedule for use in preparing future viewing of TELEVISED movies that are currently being promoted on a TCM web site that is simultaneously selling the same movies on DVD. TCM is walking a delicate tightrope here, and there is general agreement that extraordinary measures are required to pull this off successfully.

Hence TCM's business model and where it is headed is a legitimate (for the non-business-oriented viewers of classic movies) subject of an entirely different debate from that which I am proposing. Yes, I also have my opinion on this much more complex matter, which has many (and worrisome) implications. I will not shy away from such a debate, if it can be properly channeled--which I seriously doubt. That is, I do not wish to dilute a sensible effort to resolve these two issues by heading off in all directions at once in the thoughtless, random fashion that is so common in this tightly controlled (translation: censored) and frustrating discussion forum.

ic_critter

[Cool Classic Critique]

> {quote:title=moreta41 wrote:}{quote}

> Not a debate (yet ;)), but a request for clarification. You mentioned needing four schedules. Are you suggesting four seperate schedules that would have to be searched individually? For example, would I have to search for the schedule for the central time zone, or as it is now, one schedule, with the time zone being changable?

I am not ValentineXavier, but I believe that I can answer your question.

I think that he is satisfied with just one schedule, with the time zone being changeable as it is now. What he is really concerned about is having a schedule for at least *three months* available at the TCM web site, instead of being required to search for these monthly schedules separately in some unnamed individual's post on these message boards.

Right now, only one month's schedule is available at the web site, which makes this searching necessary.

janet

When you search for movies in the database with apostrophes or semicolons in the title you get no results even though the movies are in the database.

Example: Don't Make Waves

shows no results even though it exists.

Example: 3:10 To Yuma

shows no results even though it exists.

Searches with a blank space before or after a title also won't produce a correct search.

> {quote:title=jkjengol wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=moreta41 wrote:}{quote}

> > Not a debate (yet ;)), but a request for clarification. You mentioned needing four schedules. Are you suggesting four seperate schedules that would have to be searched individually? For example, would I have to search for the schedule for the central time zone, or as it is now, one schedule, with the time zone being changable?

>

> I am not ValentineXavier, but I believe that I can answer your question.

>

> I think that he is satisfied with just one schedule, with the time zone being changeable as it is now. *What he is really concerned about is having a schedule for at least *three months available at the TCM web site*, instead of being required to search for these monthly schedules separately in some unnamed individual's post on these message boards.

>

> Right now, only one month's schedule is available at the web site, which makes this searching necessary.

I don't recall that I mentioned four separate schedules. You've come pretty close to what I am asking - current month, and two upcoming months' schedules, printable by month, with links on TCM. We had this at one time.

I don't have to rely on the posts of others, because I have three upcoming month's schedules bookmarked, and can just change the numbers of the months. But, it would be far more convenient to have posted links back, and much easier for TCM site users that don't frequent these boards.

Issue #1

Issue #2

At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down SCHEDULE menu.

CONCLUSION

Hence TCM's business model and where it is headed is a legitimate (for the non-business-oriented viewers of classic movies) subject of an entirely different debate from that which I am proposing. Yes, I also have my opinion on this much more complex matter, which has many (and worrisome) implications. I will not shy away from such a debate, if it can be properly channeled--which I seriously doubt. That is, I do not wish to dilute a sensible effort to resolve these two issues by heading off in all directions at once in the thoughtless, random fashion that is so common in this tightly controlled (i.e., censored) and frustrating discussion forum.

ic_critter

[Cool Classic Critique]

*In my opinion, two monthly-schedule issues remain to be resolved, if the needs of those experienced in viewing televised classic movies (from TCM) are to be met. Experienced viewers normally wish to schedule their movie viewing long (perhaps even three months) in advance, and often record these movies, either temporarily for delayed viewing or for building a permanent private archive. Basically, these needs are met by planning movie viewing using a printout of a schedule created at the TCM web site and furnished routinely, without qualification, to all visitors to this site.*

The only problem I can see as to why having a three month schedule of films available for viewing is the possibility that a schedule that is available three months out may not be as accurate on the date that it is published as it would be on the actual date that the schedule would begin. As Kyle in Hollywood has written on this subject:

For years the direct links to the monthly schedules have been posted in these Forums by "resourceful" members of this community. These schedules have been found through an understanding of TCM's practices for creating the web addresses for those pages and past experience of when "new" schedules pages are created.

There is usually a new thread in these Forums created whenever a new month's schedule page appears in which the community gives their first appraisals of the programmers' efforts.

As for its "official" placement on the website (accessible through a link on the site), it is possible that TCM is trying to refrain from persons printing the monthly schedule so far in advance. Any schedule posted three-plus months in advance is a "work-in-progress" and subject to many changes. I believe most of the schedules that "debut" through links in the Forums have some alterations to them as that month approaches. It often results in persons posting threads asking "What happened to...?" when a film "disappears" from the earliest line-ups we find.

And maybe TCM is trying to keep the schedule info out of the hands of their competitors for as long as possible too. FMC and the Encore Channels don't make their schedules easily available three months in advance either. And both seem to be creeping tenatively into more classic film territory as of late.

And in another response to ValentineXavier Kyle wrote the following:

*"(T)hey still have the coming two months in that format, they just aren't posting the links. Your speculation as to why they are no longer posted may well be correct. But, any one with any sense knows that schedules are subject to change, more so the further out they go. Also, I'm sure that many people here liked having those easy links, and wish they would be restored. It couldn't be that difficult." - VX*

Restoring those links would be welcomed by many and I'm sure it would be an easy "fix." But I think you caught on to the reasoning behind not making them "officially" available yourself.

*"Anyone with any sense knows that schedules are subject to change..."*

You and I and most everyone who hangs out in the Forums knows how tentative these early schedules can be. But for casual visitors that only went to the homepage and used the links there to access an upcoming schedule, it may not be understood that those pages are actually "works-in-progress". With TCM posting an official link to the upcoming monthly pages, it implies to the visitor that these are finalized schedules worthy of printing. And we know from experience that too often that is NOT the case. I can hear them now. "If it isn't finalized, why are you "telling me" it is ready to print?"

Never underestimate how "confused" some visitors to this site (TCM.com and not necessarily the Forums) can be regarding programming issues. The ones that do migrate here asking questions often need to be enlightened about the most mundane issues. I think we have both answered inquiries posted here that, in our minds, were obvious to us yet we had to be very explicit with our explanations to the new visitor.

For we "savvy" viewers that hang out here in the Forums, it appears we will still have the "easter egg" links to upcoming monthly schedules. So far, TCM hasn't halted our access to these preliminary line-ups. Hopefully that won't change. It is a great "tool" for engaging this community and I think TCM likes reading the reactions from some of their most devoted viewers.

At least, "anyone with any sense" at TCM should understand that.

Issue #1

As Kyle in Hollywood has explained over on the other thread in response to the poster Old_Is_Debatable:

*"Then there is still a tiny little complaint that, at the top right of the first page of the month, it lists ET (can't seem to get rid of this thing) as the time zone (none of the other time zone designations are shown), even though my time zone is the Pacific zone, which is certainly not abbreviated as ET. Is it, Kyle? Still a problem."*

Are you referring to the daily schedule page or the monthly schedule page? To change the time zone on the daily page, use the drop down list where one sees the EST in the box. (Click on the carat pointing "down".) If you are referring to the monthly schedule, then the problem lies with your browser. I have all four time zones listed in the upper right hand corner and can choose the one I want to display (if it doesn't automatically go to the Pacific Time Zone). Try going to the daily schedule page and choose PT from the drop down list. Then go to the monthly page. Often the page will remember your choice of time zone. Otherwise, you might want to open the Monthly Schedule page, let it load and then hit "refresh" to see if it brings up the page with those multiple Time Zone links available. If that doesn't fix it, then there may be a problem with compatability with your browser and the IT Dept. will have to figure out why that is.

But you wrote earlier " When I click on the "month schedule", up comes the May schedule in four different time zones." so maybe it is the daily schedule you are talking about. I just went to the Daily page for June 1st and it displayed the listings in PST without my having to choose that time zone.

Issue #2

See last paragraph for answer/opinion.