Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

In my opinion, two monthly-schedule issues remain to be resolved, if the needs of those experienced in viewing televised classic movies (from TCM) are to be met. Experienced viewers normally wish to schedule their movie viewing long (perhaps even three months) in advance, and often record these movies, either temporarily for delayed viewing or for building a permanent private archive. Basically, these needs are met by planning movie viewing using a printout of a schedule created at the TCM web site and furnished routinely, without qualification, to all visitors to this site.

Issue #1

Among other things, this printout must contain the starting time and date for each movie on the list. Four schedules are required, corresponding to the four USA time zones.

Issue #2

At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down SCHEDULE menu.

CONCLUSION

That was really easy, wasn't it?

As a point of departure for a possible debate, but *only* on these two specific issues, I am inviting anyone who disagrees with either of them to step forward and state the nature of his/her disagreement. Although anyone who is registered to participate in this forum may post anything that he/she desires, within the web administration's rules, I will not respond to any poster who argues to the effect that "this (i.e., what you deem to be necessary) is contrary to the way that things have always been done by TCM," or that "doing it this way will be too expensive," or that "this will take too long," or that "this is not worth the effort." Etc.

In point of fact, such an argument is company(TCM)-inspired. It is a thinly disguised attempt to evade, by obfuscation, the desired focus upon the most pressing need of the moment. This is a *viewer-oriented* focus upon the desirable function of a schedule for use in preparing future viewing of TELEVISED movies that are currently being promoted on a TCM web site that is simultaneously selling the same movies on DVD. TCM is walking a delicate tightrope here, and there is general agreement that extraordinary measures are required to pull this off successfully.

Hence TCM's business model and where it is headed is a legitimate (for the non-business-oriented viewers of classic movies) subject of an entirely different debate from that which I am proposing. Yes, I also have my opinion on this much more complex matter, which has many (and worrisome) implications. I will not shy away from such a debate, if it can be properly channeled--which I seriously doubt. That is, I do not wish to dilute a sensible effort to resolve these two issues by heading off in all directions at once in the thoughtless, random fashion that is so common in this tightly controlled (i.e., censored) and frustrating discussion forum.

ICcritter

[Cool Classic Critique]

I have a question for you......

Are you the same person who has posted the same post three or four different times now on this thread?? Because if you are then you should know by now that if the administrators think you are doing something that they do not agree with or have a problem with, then your post will be deleted without explanation.

And another thing.....

This just goes to show everyone how easy and forgiveable the administrators are at allowing former members of this board who have either been kicked off the board the chance to come back yet once again under a new user name and continue to do the things that have gotten them in trouble in the first place.

A general note to the administrators......

Why not institute some policy that prevents the same users coming back over and over again by some kind of safeguards that would not allow them to come back as different user names once again? Surely this individual who I am replying to is the same individual who was here yesterday and several days ago and yet is here again under a new user name and yet might be gone again later today.

I just do not understand why you are so willing to let certain threads die, lock up other threads, delete threads and then kick off the message board certain individuals and yet you do nothing to prevent these individuals from coming back yet once again as a new user name.

Surely there must be some way to prevent this from happening?

I mean, I have been posting here with the same user name for over four years now, and yet I have never felt compelled to use another or different user name. Why these other people feel the need to do so must be because thy feel the need to be heard I guess.

Edited by: fxreyman on Jun 1, 2011 5:24 PM

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> This is at least his fourth time posting the same comment. He didn't even bother to change the signature.

I believe that this deranged person just wants a lot of undeserved attention. You have all fallen into his trap by giving him what he wants! The answer to this problem is very simple. Why not leave his post up on the board instead of taking it down time and time again, and after that just ignore it? Does the continuous presence of this post here cause any injury? Or is this a matter of principle? I really don't get it.

anamarye

This has been an ongoing problem, Anamarye.

It has happened a huge number of times over the years. Some members get out of control and start spewing vitriol, slandering other members, complaining about every little thing, picking fights . Then they get banned and rightly so, and yet, there is no way to get rid of them. This is just one more example, though a rather tame one.

Wendy (JackFavell) was correct with her reply to you.

This has been an ongoing concern for many of the members who communicate here on the message boards for years. There just does not seem to be a pressing need for the administrators here at TCM to control posters who use and continue to use multiple user names on the message board.

On other movie sites there is a waiting period before you can actually start to post where the admins have decided to do as much checking on your identity as they can. I have read on this message board that there really is not much that the admins can do about this issue here. But I have also read that this could be handled much differently than it has been handled here, its just that the admins here do not want to tackle this issue.

We have been told from time to time that it could be a technical issue, or some other software issue and that the admins can not solve this problem of posters using multiple user names.

I say phooey. They are just too lazy to tackle this issue head on.

As far as your concern of giving this poster more attention, I would say that the opposite could happen. By pointing out that he is a multiple user name poster, that in of itself will help others stay away from him. Maybe even cause him to post less inflammatory posts. To be honest some of his posts have not been too bad. But some of the posts apparently have caused enough problems that the admins have decided to kick him off the board..... what is it now four times?

His presence here does not cause any injury to members here, it just reinforces the idea that the admins can not do anything about the situation and we all wished that they could do more.

It is hardly falling into a trap as it is more calling him out. Somehow he thinks if he posts it often enough they'll let it stand, I guess. Well, no.

Being so demanding on this topic has hardly taken him where he wants to go. It has only succeeded in having at least three previous names banned.

It's a schedule for heaven's sake.

As for the presence of the post causing injury I think the moderators see it more as heading off a potential fight at the very least. A different tone may have brought a different result.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> It is hardly falling into a trap as it is more calling him out. Somehow he thinks if he posts it often enough they'll let it stand, I guess. Well, no.

I have seen *no good reasons* why it should not stand.

>

> Being so demanding on this topic has hardly taken him where he wants to go. It has only succeeded in having at least three previous names banned.

Demanding? I see; the truth hurts--or maybe.

>

> It's a schedule for heaven's sake.

>

> As for the presence of the post causing injury I think the moderators see it more as heading off a potential fight at the very least. A different tone may have brought a different result.

This is a really telling argument. Heading off a potential fight? With whom? The MODERATOR? Yes, in point of fact. So the purpose of this forum is not for one user to debate logically and/or forcefully with another user. You hit it on the head. The moderator's purpose here is to avoid criticism of TCM and its recent management.

Nice comment. Thanks.

ICcritter

[Controversial Classic Crittercism]

Note: this post courtesy of Renee

Thank you, Renee. Apparently you have now got my message!

In my opinion, two monthly-schedule issues remain to be resolved, if the needs of those experienced in viewing televised classic movies (from TCM) are to be met. Experienced viewers normally wish to schedule their movie viewing long (perhaps even three months) in advance, and often record these movies, either temporarily for delayed viewing or for building a permanent private archive. Basically, these needs are met by planning movie viewing using a printout of a schedule created at the TCM web site and furnished routinely, without qualification, to all visitors to this site.

Issue #1

Among other things, this printout must contain the starting time and date for each movie on the list. Four schedules are required, corresponding to the four USA time zones.

Issue #2

At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down SCHEDULE menu.

CONCLUSION

That was really easy, wasn't it?

As a point of departure for a possible debate, but *only* on these two specific issues, I am inviting anyone who disagrees with either of them to step forward and state the nature of his/her disagreement. Although anyone who is registered to participate in this forum may post anything that he/she desires, within the web administration's rules, I will not respond to any poster who argues to the effect that "this (i.e., what you deem to be necessary) is contrary to the way that things have always been done by TCM," or that "doing it this way will be too expensive," or that "this will take too long," or that "this is not worth the effort." Etc.

In point of fact, such an argument is company(TCM)-inspired. It is a thinly disguised attempt to evade, by obfuscation, the desired focus upon the most pressing need of the moment. This is a *viewer-oriented* focus upon the desirable function of a schedule for use in preparing future viewing of TELEVISED movies that are currently being promoted on a TCM web site that is simultaneously selling the same movies on DVD. TCM is walking a delicate tightrope here, and there is general agreement that extraordinary measures are required to pull this off successfully.

Hence TCM's business model and where it is headed is a legitimate (for the non-business-oriented viewers of classic movies) subject of an entirely different debate from that which I am proposing. Yes, I also have my opinion on this much more complex matter, which has many (and worrisome) implications. I will not shy away from such a debate, if it can be properly channeled--which I seriously doubt. That is, I do not wish to dilute a sensible effort to resolve these two issues by heading off in all directions at once in the thoughtless, random fashion that is so common in this tightly controlled (i.e., censored) and frustrating discussion forum.

IC critter

[Controversial Cool Classic Crittercism]

_Issue #1_ - *Among other things, this printout must contain the starting time and date for each movie on the list. Four schedules are required, corresponding to the four USA time zones.*

*DONE.*

The monthly printable schedule contains all that relevant information and is available formatted for each of the four time zones in the U.S. It was implemented weeks ago.

_Issue #2_ - *At any point in time, three completed monthly schedules (the current month along with the next two months) must be available to all visitors to the TCM web site from the drop-down SCHEDULE menu.*

According to WebAdmin, TCM will only provide upcoming months' listings through the daily listings schedule page. "(T)he three month schedule is only available as described".

See here -

http://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8521689#8521689

There will no longer be advance printable monthly schedules accessible through the TCM website. (The only exception may be possible access to a schedule for the upcoming month which will be made available during the last few days of the current month. This may be implemented at a future date.)

This is a deliberate decision on TCM's part. Whatever their reasons, it is the state of affairs for the forseeable future.

Keep in mind, this thread is meant to alert WebAdmin and TCMDigital to _technical_ issues with the Message Boards. It is not intended to discuss editorial decisions. Those "problems" should be taken up in other threads. There are two or three threads in other Forums touching on this very subject.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Jun 2, 2011 8:19 PM

When you go to the *full TCM schedule*, then change to the *weekly schedule*, if you look at the tabs on the bottom they say the *next day*.

When you click on that it does not show the next day after the week you are looking at.

Those tabs need to be changed to *next week* so you can view the schedule week by week and the schedule should stay in a weekly format.

Also when you click on next day in the weekly format it does not even keep track of the week you are looking at.

Note to the administrators:

I have noticed a generally slower message board this morning. No other web sites I have gone to is experiencing a slow down.

Also I have begun to notice that in the web banner at the top of the page that the movie morlocks logo has been duplicated and now appears over the words "MOVIES". You might want to look into this.

Thank you.

Fxreyman

• 2 weeks later...

I, and others, have been requesting links to printable schedules for the next two months, that would be July, and August right now, since this is June. We have been able to access these, using links people have posted, and altering month dates in the addresses. *Well, now those are gone!*

This is beyond frustrating and aggravating, *This is maddening, and ridiculous!* We have less than two weeks to go in June. *Right now* I would like to print the whole month schedule for July, look it over, and make notes on what I want to record, and watch. *But TCM has made this impossible!*

Okay, there was an "upgrade," which screwed up a lot of things, and repairs have been very slow. *BUT WHY CONTINUE TO REMOVE FUNCTIONALITY FROM THE SITE?* Please, cut it out, and fix it!

Amongst many others, there is a very peculiar sort of error in the monthly schedule; it has been there for a very long period of time. I can hardly believe my eyes on this one! But then, these continuing errors (if one wishes to call them that) have been all too common in my recent experiences at the TCM.COM web site.

Every movie start time in this schedule (I assume that it is also there in the schedules for the following months that have been posted somewhere in these forums, without an official blessing) which begins with a "9" is erroneous, with regard to the AM or PM! Whenever it is supposed to read "AM", it reads "PM", and vice-versa.

It is strange that no one here has reported this multiplicity of erroneous start times yet. Perhaps there have been attempts to report this, but they have been deleted by the Web Administrator who, as you all know, works very hard to prevent such adverse criticism from being posted on the message boards. off the message boards. Alternatively, and very possibly, this sort of simple error is being made by web site programmers who lack the competence to perform their assigned task. This is difficult for me to imagine in a web site that sports an "award winning" claim! I can see nothing that justifies this claim. If this were indeed a programming bug, it would have been corrected a long time ago. This must mean that such glaring errors are not considered to be serious by those who are responsible for the design of this web site. In Britain, the general population would never tolerate such an attitude toward sub-standard performance.

I must question whether it is worthwhile for me to struggle along here with the gross incompetence at the web site TCM.COM, demonstrated over such a long period of time, when all that is required is to hire personnel with basic web programming skills and put them to work reconstructing this web site to its previous (and long-term) state of excellence.

Jeremy

> Every movie start time in this schedule (I assume that it is also there in the schedules for the following months that have been posted somewhere in these forums, without an official blessing) which begins with a "9" is erroneous, with regard to the AM or PM! Whenever it is supposed to read "AM", it reads "PM", and vice-versa. It is strange that no one here has reported this multiplicity of erroneous start times yet.

Jeremy,

Not sure what schedule you are referring to. That problem did exist after the upgrade but people did mention it and the problem was fixed. I just checked the daily, weekly and full monthly schedule from the pull-down menu on the top banner and the am/pm problem you cite is not there.

Perhaps you are working from older copies?

TCM,

Can you please just change the website back to what it was before the "upgrade"?

Please seriously consider and evaluate the benefits both to TCM and to its viewers of doing this. The old website was more functional and easier to use and view. People writing to these forums have continuously had difficulties and complaints about the new site since it came out.

A sensible response to this would be for TCM to acknowledge a couple of things: (a) its customers like the old site better, (B) the consensus of opinion expressed on these forums is that the old site (especially the schedule) was more functional and easier to use. After taking notice of these facts, it would make sense (as a business decision for TCM) to just get out the templates for the old site (or at least the schedule), and then change at least the schedule part of the site back to what it was.

Many TCM fans would be much happier that way.

Thanks for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Remind Me" page is broken again so that no dates are showing. Apparently the developers had the time to add useless slide-onto-the-screen animation effects for the Remind Me box, but the box itself is broken. Really, is there any limit to how stupid these people are?

Also, it's still the case that if you use the Remind Me feature and close the box, you have to hit back TWICE in the browser to get to the previous page. Of course, the nice click-anywhere-outside-of-the-box-to-close-it feature that was there before (even after the initial "upgrade") is still not working.

> TCM,

>

> Can you please just change the website back to what it was before the "upgrade"?

All we got out of this latest downgrade is the Rich Text function, which doesn't work, and we lost the quote-marks function, which used to work but doesn't now.

But they won't go back. They have a policy of not going back once they've downgraded the board.

• 2 weeks later...

>I am using Firefox. I am hoping that I won't be told I have to use Internet Explorer in order to use >the Remind Me feature at the Database.

>

>The problem should be fixed so that no matter what browser one is using, they can use the >Remind Me function without a problem.

I agree. The same with the time zone changer on the main Schedule page.

Fred,

I have asked Izcutter to compare the font sizes on the June and July monthly schedule printouts and tell us whether or not these sizes are identical. This is very easy to determine, simply by printing out a given page of the schedule for both of these months. I assume that (and you) have already done this with the June schedule in the past, and can now print out a selected page from the current July schedule.

Despite this simplicity, Izcutter cannot seem to get this type of printout in order to see whether the font sizes for July are smaller than the font sizes for June!! I do not understand his inability to make this determination.

Can you make this comparison, Fred? I see no way that the font sizes for July can be smaller than the font sizes for June unless the schedule design format has deliberately been changed, without regard to the issue of time zone availablity.

Maybe we can get a straight answer from you on this question--if you can still manage to read the printout for July. Perhaps you should enlist Valentine to make the same sort of test. Thank you for your attention to this big mystery!

Jeremy

> Despite this simplicity, Izcutter cannot seem to get this type of printout in order to see whether the font sizes for July are smaller than the font sizes for June!! I do not understand his inability to make this determination.

As I answered in the other thread this evening, using Firefox, I don't have any difference in font size between the two month's schedule and the font size is quite legible for my mid-century modern eyes.

On the monthly menu, disregard the TCM print icon.

Go to the top of the page an look for the IE print icon. It's a picture of a little printer.

Just to the right of that is a small down arrow. Click that and then click on PRINT PREVIEW.

Then click on the symbol for VIEW FULL WIDTH.

You can then change the type size by clicking on the down arrow where it says SHRINK TO FIT. You can enlarge the type size or reduce it.