Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with the Upgrade

I see that we're back to the glitch where by clicking "MESSAGE BOARDS" in the upper left corner takes you to the TCM home page rather than to the forum home page. This happened for a few days a couple of weeks ago.

Fred:

Due to your assistance, I have revisited the mechanism by which font size is determined in a *printout* of the TCM monthly schedule. This schedule is supplied in the pdf format, which does not permit the designed-in font size to be changed, unless done so using Adobe Acrobat prior to printing. Yet the procedure which you have presented does indeed provide the means to do this without the use of Adobe Acrobat.

This font-size-changing mechanism is built into the Internet Explorer browser, in the Page Preview feature. The pdf page can be expanded or shrunk to fit within a specific percentage of the printing paper size. This will hereafter be referred to as the shrink-to-fit (STF) percentage. In effect, this STF setting changes the font size on the printed page. Combined with margin adjustments (the space between the paper's edges and the corresponding edges of the pdf page), the readability of the printed page can be balanced against the number of pages required to print the entire schedule, whilst at the same time ensuring that no characters are cutoff. This is the purpose of the browser Page Preview.

When I printed the TCM June schedule, I had not fully studied the pdf printing browser adjustments available in Internet Explorer. In particular, I do not know what STF percentage I was using at that time. That 36 page printout was very readable, the font size for the one-line movie descriptions appeared to be 10 point, and no characters were cutoff at the right margin. This result suggests that the STF percentage was 100.

I printed the July schedule on July 1, adjusted the margins but ignored the STF percentage. There were now 28 pages which had a very small font size, appearing to be 8 point for the movie descriptions--outside the generally regarded "readability" range. Having failed to appreciate the implications of the STF percentage, I assumed that the pdf font size used in the June schedule had been shrunk from 10 points to 8 points in the July schedule! As I now know, this assumption was erroneous. My new July printout (just made) appears to match the June printout in font size, at 100% STF.

My apologies to Izcutter and Kyle in Hollywood for my intemperance in this matter of font size. My thanks once again to Fred Dobbs for jarring me into learning exactly what I am doing when I print out one of these TCM schedules. My continued contempt for those who have made this web site "upgrade" a catastrophic failure and lack of concern for those who are paying TCM's bills!

There is an interesting article currently posted at:

http://www.convertpdf.org/change-font-in-pdf.html.

It claims to have a solution to the fixed-font pdf by using a separate application to do exactly what Internet Explorer does in its Page Preview adjustments. Can these people be unaware of these Internet Explorer adjustments?

Jeremy

We are also back to not being able to recent posts when we check a member's profile.

Including our own! Yet some posters are not experiencing this. Is it just a few of us? Can't this be resolved?

SCSU, how are you doing with this issue today? I still can't access it.

Good Grief,

I return to the states after a sojourn in europe, find myself in western alaska and discover that there isn't even a time zone in the schedule acknowleging the 49th (or 50th) state/s....

Robert Osbourne is on "vacation" (i hope) and Robert Wagner is standing in as a "temporary guest" host (i hope)...

Fortunately this Alaskan community provides TCM access, but (as previous members have already mentioned) I find that i now can't access either my own or any other members previous posts by simply clicking on their, or my own, name :(

It appears that these member boards and the schedule are still as buggy and degraded as when i left them 3 mos ago, and this "wonderful," "upgrade" is now several months old.

The overall membership still appear as disappointed and ignored as before, and problems introduced by this overwhelmingly unpopular makeover continue to persist.

Ahhhh... it's so nice to come home and find that everything is just as you left it.... so comforting...

Except that now i can look out my window and see... russia??? oh, pardon my mistake, that's only visible from further east in wassilla... ;)

> Robert Osbourne is on "vacation" (i hope) and Robert Wagner is standing in as a "temporary guest" host (i hope).

Stephan,

There was an announcement last week from TCM that Robert O is taking a break until October. He had minor surgery, is doing fine and after his recuperation, he will take a vacation.

In the meantime, friends of Robert O and of TCM, including Tippi Hedren and Jane Powell, will be acting as weekly guest hosts until Robert O's return in Oct.

Here's a thread about it:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=160702&tstart=0

Thank you Izzy, for the RO update & the links.

My current connection is as slow as molasses, but I was finally able to read through them.

It's been said that "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

I find it very true for me, esp. in this case.

The last couple of years I've noticed his voice quavering a bit, and like others, I've been concerned about his state of overall health. I hope that Mr. Osbornes sx was truly minor and that he has a full and speedy recovery and a very refreshing extended vacation...

Most everything else on TCM is replaceable, this petty technical BS, etc. can come and go and is relatively minor annoying stuff to b**** about when we haven't got anything better to do or say.

But the TCM personalities, those shown in the classic movies that are no longer with us... Robert, Ben, Alec, & guest hosts, and the people that write on these boards, are irreplaceable human beings that have become like extended family for many of us.

As others have said, I will now be able to enjoy the flavor of the different guest hosts, so long as I know that Robert is coming back to us!

Mr. Osborne occupies a special place in my heart and for as long as he is willing and able he will always be welcome in my home... wherever that home may be.

i now can't access either my own or any other members previous posts

NOT HAVING THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. There are always options. But I'm tired of learning new things. I want things to stay the same!

• 3 weeks later...

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}Now that things have quieted down, and I am finally able to figure out rich text without screwing up post after post, I hate to even suggest one more thing that could possibly screw things up further.... but....

>

> Are we ever going to get the quote feature back?

>

Probably.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}:D

>

> OK. Where is it?

When you reply, make sure you use the Rich Text button, then look just to the right of the smiley icon and you'll see "quote bubbles" like in comic strips. Click on that. Then when you respond to the quote, make sure your response is a few lines below the quoted box (and not in the box as well). Otherwise, your response may show up in the quoted text.

Jackie,

If you hit reply and in your reply box go to the Rich Text tab...the second to last icon is the quote function (two "balloons"). Unfortunately, if you want to break up the quote, you have to then switch back to Plain Text. It's a pain.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}:D

> >

> > OK. Where is it?

> >

> When you reply, make sure you use the Rich Text button, then look just to the right of the smiley icon and you'll see "quote bubbles" like in comic strips. Click on that. Then when you respond to the quote, make sure your response is a few lines below the quoted box (and not in the box as well). Otherwise, your response may show up in the quoted text.

Thanks, everyone. I thought I looked everywhere, but missed the stuff to the right of the smileys. I appreciate it!

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}Jackie,

> If you hit reply and in your reply box go to the Rich Text tab...the second to last icon is the quote function (two "balloons"). Unfortunately, if you want to break up the quote, you have to then switch back to Plain Text. It's a pain.

Yeah, I've noticed that if I post pictures, if I go back and forth between rich text and plain, the picture ends up all screwed up, with half the URL sticking out of the photo. That really bugs me.

I finally figured out this week that you can pre-set to whichever text style you want by using the "always use this editor" thingy - up in the right hand corner. I know, it's obvious but somehow I missed this function, probably due to sensory overload after the 'upgrade'. :D

I decided to use plain text as a default because it doesn't mess as much stuff up as rich text does.

• 1 month later...

The site is still broken in plenty of ways. :(

* The monthly schedule is WAY out of date. It looks like the short films haven't been added all month and the major schedule changes for today's tribute don't show up at all.

* The Remind Me page dates/times aren't showing up in Firefox (3.6.22 on this computer) but do show up in Opera (11.51). The useless slide-onto-the-screen animations for the Remind Me box work in Firefox, but the Remind Me box comes up with blanks next to the selection bubbles where the dates and times should be.

* The browser navigation bug added AFTER the "upgrade" to Remind Me pages is still present. If you open a Remind Me page/box on the screen, even if you close it you have to hit back TWICE in the browser to get back to where you were before. The first time you hit back the '#' character is cleared from the address bar but the page doesn't change. The second time it actually goes back. This is not a browser bug, this is a bug in the code for the Remind Me boxes.

* DVS audio availability is still missing from the new monthly schedules.

* The forum STILL keeps forgetting that users are already logged in and STILL kicks users back to the forum index when they try to reply to a post after being idle on the site for a short time.

* The attempt at cramming future air dates into a space below the oversized film title doesn't always work properly on the DB pages. Aside from the fact that you have to click on something to see three air dates, seeing four (which does happen sometimes) is impossible because the text gets cut off and the arrow for viewing more dates apparently only toggles between top/bottom views instead of scrolling up and down.

* There are still some films that are airing letterboxed that are mislabeled on the web site. For example, the films Maurice (1987) and Savages (1972) recently aired and were letterboxed but weren't labeled that way on any of the TCM schedule pages. There have been others recently but I don't remember the titles off the top of my head.

Just wanted to mention these since this thread has gone rather quiet. I'm sure other problems are still around that are bothering other users.

While you're taking requests, I'll pass one on. (At least I think it hasn't been mentioned.) On threads with more than 1000 posts if you select any page it loads fine. If you select another page it loads with a comma in the number in the heading (address bar) causing a blank page to come up. It would be helpful if each page loaded without reworking the address bar.

Someone was nice enough to point out a work around some time ago but it would he helpful to fix it. As in the example below the comma should not be in the 5150.

[ |http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=116507&start=5,150&tstart=0]

movieman1957,

I can tell you the dev team absolutely knows about that one, as I had the chance to report it personally. I've not heard any ETA on a fix, but it's on their list of things to do.