Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SOUND OF MUSIC

BloodhoundMan

I just finished screening SOF; I haven't seen it in at least ten years. And there's a prominent credit in the opening credits that I don't know, in spite of my encyclopedic knowledge of musicals (I used to play piano in a swell supper club in NYC). It reads "With the Partial Use of Ideas by Georg Hurdalek." Betcha never noticed that one. Neither did I. Anyone know who this guy is, and what he contributed to the film? I don't believe his name appeared in the credits to the preceding Broadway musical. Thanks for answering.

"I look up; I look down."

He was a German screenwriter. If I recall the bonus feature material, there was a German film, non musical, about the Von Trapp family and Hurdalek was likely the writer of that film.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> He was a German screenwriter. If I recall the bonus feature material, there was a German film, non musical, about the Von Trapp family and Hurdalek was likely the writer of that film.

Exactly. Hurdalek wrote DIE TRAPP FAMILIE, which was based on the original book. It was also the story, which Paramount originally optioned for Audrey Hepburn to do an American version in the 1950s, later owned by Fox, when they eventually bought the rights to the Broadway musical. There are moments in his original screenplay, which Ernest Lehman used for THE SOUND OF MUSIC.