Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Mankiewicz, I Love You

1968B2

Anyone catch the bit Ben gets to do in TCM's March Programming highlights, where he credits his great granddad Herman for writing "Citizen Kane," and ONLY Herman Mank (NOT the Oscar statuette grabbing Mr. Welles, as our latter would've wished eternity to believe)? The great-grandson also rises. Thank you, Ben. You did good.xoxo1968B2

Hey, somebody beat me to it with that thread title.

If I let Ben know how much I like *All About Eve* will I get my long-awaited date with him? I have to pass a skill-testing question first? Quote a line from *All About Eve* ? How about:

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night !"

*If I let Ben know how much I like All About Eve will I get my long-awaited date with him? I have to pass a skill-testing question first? Quote a line from All About Eve ? How about:*

*"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night !"*

MsW,

Concerning the date with Ben M, I suspect that MrsBen (Contessa Kellogg) may frown on that. They seem to be very happily married.

Sorry.

Though it's pretty certain that Herman Mankiewicz did the bulk of the writing, it's an injustice to both posterity and his collaborators to assert that Welles and associate producer John Houseman didn't have a major hand in the shaping of the story.

Beyond this, it's also dishonest to ignore the all-too-obvious fact that KANE's story and structure owe a tremendous debt to Preston Sturges's screenplay to 1933's THE POWER AND THE GLORY.

You can't talk about Citizen Kane without hearing Mankiewicz's name, this is an old story, no big deal. Mankiewicz had nothing to do with any of the visual aspects of Citizen Kane - the reason why the film is actually admired. It's the bold visuals of Welles and Gregg Toland that make the film, what really amplifies the depth of the film (not to mention Welles' crafting of the sound design, the editing, performance, among the general mise-en-scene.)

Mankiewicz used the flashback structure again in A Woman's Secret and...it's no Citizen Kane to put it lightly (despite being handled by the other major star of the Wisconsin constellation, Nicholas Ray - this was a plain studio assignment for him and it shows.) It is clearly a simple structural device, nothing like what we see in Citizen Kane. His brother Joseph, a better if still problematic writer in general than Herman, also liked to use the flashback device and it too tends to lack real purpose. I wonder why that is...

Herman Mankiewicz's forte was dialogue, wit, as a story man he isn't as impressive. That Mankiewicz's body of work doesn't reflect Citizen Kane in the way Welles' work absolutely does only affirms how much influence Welles had on the project.

Mankiewicz wrote the shooting script (and that's an important distinction, the _shooting script_ - that doesn't mean there wasn't a ton of development and planning prior in which Welles was heavily involved) it doesn't change the fact that Welles is very much the creator of the film itself. No one else at the time could have done it.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Concerning the date with Ben M, I suspect that MrsBen (Contessa Kellogg) may frown on that. They seem to be very happily married.

Haha, that certainly didn't stop my ex from dating others!

> *If I let Ben know how much I like All About Eve will I get my long-awaited date with him? I have to pass a skill-testing question first? Quote a line from All About Eve ? How about:*

> *"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night !"*

> Concerning the date with Ben M, I suspect that MrsBen (Contessa Kellogg) may frown on that. They seem to be very happily married.

>

> Sorry.

Well, I was thinking of a platonic date, of course. Mr. Osborne and the guy Ben's always riding around with in a convertible could come along as chaparones.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 12, 2011 9:41 AM

*So, who's Tom Brown, other than Ben's convertible buddy? I watch TCM faithfully, and I don't remember any Tom Brown*

Ms. W,

Watch the credits of the next *Private Screening* or any of the documentaries that air that TCM produces. You'll see his name.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I believe Contessa Kellogg is the former

Princess Lucky Charms, and she's been around the grocery aisle more

than once. And even in the happiest of Tinsel Town marriages, Splitesville

is only a starlet away.

> {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote}

> I wouldn't be too concerned. I believe Contessa Kellogg is the former

> Princess Lucky Charms, and she's been around the grocery aisle more

> than once. And even in the happiest of Tinsel Town marriages, Splitesville

> is only a starlet away.

spit.gif

icon_smile_clap.gif

Why won't picture links work?