Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone see "A Cantebury Tale"?

FredCDobbs

What a weird old British movie! I loved it. I love weird old British movies!

Man, that American had an irritating accent.

Did everyone get the joke about the British guy who said he had a brother in America who lived in "Butt City" Montana?

Quite often, the first time anyone sees the word "Butte", they pronounce it "Butt". LOL. It's actually pronounced "Buute", long u and as if it had only one t. A butte is a small mesa, like those buttes at Monument Valley in "The Searchers".

A much wider butte is called a mesa, and a much wider mesa is called a plateau. (plaa-toe). Mesa is the Spanish word for table, and a mesa looks flat on top like a table top.

Anyway, this was an odd British film, and I've got to watch it again to try to figure it out.

I caught this on TCM a while back and have been waiting for it again. Great movie. Especially crazy to see how much the whole city was bombed just yards away from the miraculously untouched cathedral. Amazing how close we came to losing that awesome cathedral forever. How I love that place.

Nope but I recorded it. I love Powell & Pressburger as a rule. Except oddly enough one of their most popular *The Red Shoes*. I really need to revisit that one.

But anyways I am looking forward to it. They are probably my favorite Classic British directors.

Thanks, everyone. All good comments.

I was fascinated when they showed the bombed out areas near the cathedral. A lot of young people might not know what the "moved" signs were for. I learned that from some other British movie in the past.

Where the German bombs destroyed businesses and shops, the areas were cleaned off and the companies moved to some other part of town, and they placed signs on their old property telling their customers where they had moved to.

And of course Dennis Price was the great star of "Kind Hearts and Coronets".

The first time I saw The Red Shoes I didn't care for it, because I didn't like modern ballet music. But the second time I got myself in the mood of the music students of the 1940s, and I tried to see the film through their eyes, and listen to the music through their ears and minds. Then I liked the film and I still do. The color is beautiful. Moira Shearer makes it seem as if it is really the shoes that are controlling her at the end of the film.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> A much wider butte is called a mesa, and a much wider mesa is called a plateau. (plaa-toe). Mesa is the Spanish word for table, and a mesa looks flat on top like a table top.

>

You should go to Venezuela, where you could visit some tepuis. :)

A wonderful off the wall film. I watched it last week on Netflix and was completely surprised with it. Terrific characters and scenery. Loved the difference in languages bits between the American Sgt and the British civilians. The chevrons upside down or right side up, torch or flashlight, "That's not a torch that's a searchlight".The quote from the American Sgt about tea to his friend' It's a habit you fall into....like marijuana " to which the friend replies "I don't like marijuana either".

The role of the American Sgt Bob Johnson was played by a real soldier stationed in England John Sweet. Burgess Meredith was to have played the part, but the producers decided to go with an unknown.

A bit of trivia.. Margaret Mitchell, author of "Gone with the Wind" was on her way in Atlanta, Ga to see this movie when she was killed by a drunk driver.....