Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

0'TOOLE ONCE AGAIN SNUBBED BY "OSCAR!"

All on here know the legendary Peter 0'Toole has yet to win an Oscar & not even an honorary statuette! AFI also ignore's him for some reason His work in "Lion in Winter" is also magnificent, as is of course "Lawrene..." Nobody mentione s this & he;s 79! Please give me/us your thoughts & what a "Pvt. Screenings" that would be, huh. THANX

Nominated For:........... Lost To:

1962-"Lawrence of Arabia" ..... Gregory Peck "To Kill A Mockingbird"

1964 "Becket" ..... Rex Harrison "My Fair Lady"

1968 The Lion in Winter" ...... Cliff Robinson "Charly" ????

1969 "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" ..... John Wayne "True Grit"

1972 "The Ruling Class"...... Marlon Brando "The Godfather"

1980 "The Stuntman" ...... Robert DeNiro "Raging Bull"

1982 "My Favorite Year" ...... Ben Kingsley "Gandhi"

2006 "Venus" ... Forest Whitaker "Last King of Scotland"

He won an "Honorary Oscar" in 2003. He told the Academy that "He was still in the game and would like more time to win the lovely **** outright"

I truly hope he does. I also think he is one of the "Greatest" ever.......

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 14, 2011 12:13 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 14, 2011 12:15 PM

Eight nominations is pretty good or a record to be proud of along the idea that O'Toole remains considered a great actor over the long haul of his career. However, if I were to pinpoint one year he should have won, it would be 1968, for "The Lion in Winter." It was rather a surprise he didn't take home the "Oscar" for his grand performance as "King Henry;" even better than his first performance as this historical king in "Becket." O'Toole is one of five performers to have been Oscar nominated for playing the same role in two different films.

I totally agree about "A Lion in Winter". I can't count the times I have seen that film and I never tire of watching his and Hepburn's performances.The entire cast is wonderful, but those two reach perfection along with the script and direction. As much as I an a fan of Cliff Robinson, O'Toole should have been a shoo in.....

I agree.... As good as O'Toole is in *Becket*, stealing the film from Richard Burton (no easy task), O'Toole is magnificent in *The Lion in Winter.* As as mentioned, it's a film I can watch over and over again.

O'Toole lost to Gregory Peck in 1962 for "To Kill a Mockingbird". "The Lion in Winter" was 1968 and his competition that year was Alan Arkin in "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", Alan Bates in "The Fixer", Ron Moody in "Oliver" and Cliff Robertson in "Charly".Cliff won.....

if I were to pinpoint one year he should have won, it would be 1968, for "The Lion in Winter."

For me it's 1969. As much as I like John Wayne, The Duke never equaled O'Toole's inspired "Mr. Chips." It's his best performance, and to go out on an admittedly ridiculous limb, the best acting I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=drednm wrote:}{quote}

> O'Toole won an honorary Oscar a few years ago.

One doesn't win an honorary Oscar (or anything else). The whole point is that it's not in any sense competitive. O'Toole was simply given the Oscar by the Academy for his body of work.

• 2 weeks later...

*Do you know any more about when the interview will take place & aired?*

The interview with Peter O'Toole will take place at the end of April during the second annual TCM Film Festival.

The Luise Rainer interview took place last year during the Festival and aired on TCM in January of this year.

If TCM follows a similar pattern this year, the O'Toole interview should air next winter.

Another vote here for O'Toole's Henry II in The Lion in Winter! He and Kate had such wonderful chemistry. He was a little young for the role--Henry was 50-ish and O'Toole was only about 35--but he pulled it off with ease.

O'TOOLE ON CHARLIE ROSE:

Here's a link to all eight appearances since 2000--

http://www.charlierose.com/guest/view/60