Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DOES TCM HAVE LEGAL RIGHTS TO "THE GODFATHER?"

Spence,

The majority of new films were for last month's *31 Days of Oscar*. As for *The Godfather* and *Godfather II*, TCM was able to show the fillms in the summer of 2006, quite unexpectedly as it caused a last minute change in the schedule, and it appears to have been a one-time only broadcast as I don't recall either film being shown again.

Last year it was announced that AMC has exclusive rights to THE GODFATHER and the sequels through December 31, 2019.

"The Godfather is recognized as one of the greatest sagas ever told on film," said Tom Halleen, AMC's Senior Vice President of programming and scheduling. "AMC is proud to be the exclusive long-term basic cable home to this incredible franchise, for the next decade. The Godfather acquisition, as well as our ongoing commitment to quality original series, underscores AMC's promise to provide the best stories on television. The latest investment further represents AMC's commitment to continually expand *its extensive movie library.*"

Couldn't resist the bolding above. :)

While I deplore the way AMC shows films (commericals inserted mid-speech), I think *The Godfather* gets enough coverage. I wouldn't want TCM to get hold of it, think of all the time that would be taken up at the expense of other films! So I'll cope with AMC's faults rather than have all those hours taken up on TCM with a film about which one might soon say, "enough already!"

Also, I live in NYC and don't get TCM in HD; I do get AMC in HD. So perhaps that compensates a little for AMC's flaws.

Fortunately I have a copy of THE GODFATHER on DVD and THE GODFATHER SAGA on VHS. I'm also in NYC, but you couldn't pay me to watch AMC with its 50% commercial load (ad time is half the length of the movie airing) and the bombardment of promos on the bottom of the screen while the movie is airing.

26 months ago I swore I would never watch the channel again and it's one New Year's resolution that I've kept. I had watched the 80-minute MACHINE GUN KELLY in a two-hour slot which meant 40 minutes of ads for **** extenders (two different brands), **** pumps (possibly Medicaid approved) and finger-tip vibrators for women. I suppose they missed a bet by not offering Machine Gun Jelly for such occasions.

Every break had the same ads, they just mixed up the order of them, although some played twice within the same pod. I'm no prude, they could have been selling swamp land in Florida and Schaefer beer as WCBS used to do in the wee hours, the repetition was annoying and the breaks long enough to have me forget what i was watching in the first place.

Then when we returned to the movie, the bottom quarter of the screen had little animated characters telling me that a new episode of MAD MEN was airing next week.

> {quote:title=myidolspencer wrote:}{quote}

> TCM has been airing a lotta' newer flix, but never hear of the legendary "Godfather" or "Godfather, *Part 11?"*

You mean there are eleven of those danged things now? :(

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=myidolspencer wrote:}{quote}

> > TCM has been airing a lotta' newer flix, but never hear of the legendary "Godfather" or "Godfather, *Part 11?"*

>

> You mean there are eleven of those danged things now? :(

Yes, the latest installment has Michael Corleone donning a hockey mask and killing people at random.