Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

So........is a particular thread "locked" (indicated by the little padlock symbol) simply to STIFLE honest, open debate here, or is there some intelligent, logically sound reason for the (seemingly)

random manner used for "policing" these boards???

If you are referring to the spate of locked threads about problems with the upgrade, the Mods are doing that because there are existing threads already in General Discussions about the schedule problems.

One of the things the Mods are trying to get people to do is post the problems they are encountering here in the Tech Thread, primarily in the "Problems with Upgrade" thread. They are asking that folks read the thread to see if their problems have been already been posted. If not, they want you to post in that thread so that they can keep track of the new problems people are encountering.

As to why they lock other threads, I'll let them address that.

*"So........is a particular thread "locked" (indicated by the little padlock symbol) simply to STIFLE honest, open debate here, or is there some intelligent, logically sound reason for the (seemingly) random manner used for "policing" these boards??? "* - mdemoswirr

The locked threads are a means to limit the number of postings about problems with the recent software upgrade. As 'lzcutter' wrote, it is meant to avoid duplicate threads and keep such posts in a single thread.

While that is understandable, you'd think WebAdmin could show the common courtesy of explaining that reason and directing the poster where to continue the discussion when locking the thread. To do it without explanation - especially to new members who are posting for the first time - is confusing, frustrating and a poor reflection on TCM. And TCM values its viewers and the membership here much higher than has been demonstrated by the folks at WebAdmin.

Kyle In Hollywood

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy does not appear to be as common as we'd like it to be.

Locking up threads without explanation verges upon Gestopo tactics to prevent membership dialogue about these issues.

There appears to be little in rectification resulting from the endless problem thread began by Izcutter, and the shear number of comments there make it extremely burdensom to wade through.

However it does attempt to concentrate a large number of member comments, complaints, observations, suggestions, and criticisms (constructive and otherwise), into a single, less conspicuous thread....

This is after all a general issues forum. If those of us wish to start separate or parallel threads on similar subjects within it then I believe we should be allowed to do so. In fact multiple threads about the same subject only amplify the importance and significance of that issue to the TCM members which the lipspeak of this Website professes to serve.

It should tell those in charge that *WE THE MEMBERS ARE VERY DISPLEASED WITH THIS SO CALLED "UPGRADE" (which is really a downgrade) AND A SIGNIFICANT AND GROWING NUMBER OF US WANT BACK THE OLD FORMAT*.

*DELETING POSTS WITHIN A THREAD*

There were Two posts just prior to this one from *Ollie_T*, one from myself and one from another poster who replied to mine, that have been deleted as if they had never existed by the Web administrator without explanation.

I referred to *hlywdkjk's statement "you'd think WebAdmin could show the common courtesy of explaining that reason (regarding locked threads)."* I commented that "common courtesy" may not be as common as we'd wish it was.

I made a side reference to Gestopo tactics that hinder open communication and dialogue among members et al. The second poster made a rather humorous statement and implied surprize that it has taken this long before a member here posted any such similitude.

The main gist of my reply to *mdemoswirr* was an observation that a single thread for all comments, suggestions, criticisms (constructive and otherwise) is a two edged sword.

Whereas it does allow the administrators a single thread for such issues, such a single thread with the volume of comments can become burdensome for the membership to wade through to see if someone else has made a similar comment on the same subject.

Also, by funneling all the unsatisfactory statements into a single thread the overall discontent with this so called "upgrade" becomes less conspicuous...

I observed that this is, after all, a GENERAL ISSUES forum and commented that I saw no harm in members making multiple posts on the same issue.

In fact to a responsively concerned website that would be advantageous in telling them that many of their members were now unhappy with with the "Up/Downgrade" foisted upon them and were voicing their deisire for a return to the functionality of the previous format as soon as possible.

If a majority of voters voiced their dissatisfaction for a new act or law to their representatives, more likely than not the offending act would be repealed.

I thought that my post was rational and reflectively unoffensive. Offering constructive criticism for what is going on.

However, after the insidious nature of its unexplained removal, I can only conclude, to my sincere dismay, that some threads are being locked or deleted as well as individual posts being deleted within threads as an act of policing within these boards for the explicit purpose to disuade, curb, discourage, and inhibit member/viewer open dialogue and remove any post that might encourage comment/discussion between members that admin has deemed verboten. In particular regarding open disatisfaction of the "UPGRADE."

If this thread continues without being locked or this post deleted, I will be very, albeit pleasantly, surprised.

Edited by: Stephan55 on Mar 27, 2011 6:06 PM

Edited by: Stephan55 on Mar 27, 2011 6:07 PM

Ha!

I found my deleted post and the deleted reply in my email account!

I repost them now in their entirety to allow anyone to make a comment as to why these individual posts should have been removed from this thread?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy does not appear to be as common as we'd like it to be.

Locking up threads without explanation verges upon Gestopo tactics to prevent membership dialogue about these issues.

There appears to be little in rectification resulting from the endless problem thread began by Izcutter, and the shear number of comments there make it extremely burdensom to wade through. However it does attempt to concentrate a large number of member comments, complaints, observations, suggestions, and criticisms (constructive and otherwise), into a single, less conspicuous thread....

This is after all a general issues forum.

If those of us wish to start separate or parallel threads on similar subjects within it then I believe we should be allowed to do so. In fact multiple threads about the same subject only amplify the importance and significance of that issue to the TCM members which the lipspeak of this Website professes to serve.

It should tell those in charge that *WE THE MEMBERS ARE VERY DISPLEASED WITH THIS SO CALLED "UPGRADE" (which is really a downgrade) AND A SIGNIFICANT AND GROWING NUMBER OF US WANT BACK THE OLD FORMAT*.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCM member *Rich* replied with the following Header & comment:

*You say Gestopo, I say Gestopo, Let's Call the Whole War Off!*

------------------------------------------

Ausgezeichnet! (translation: excellent!) The first Nazi reference. Wonder why it took two weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member comments as to why these 2 posts should have been deleted are appreciated...

That is unless they are deleted again????

Edited by: Stephan55 on Mar 27, 2011 7:24 PM

*This thread will be locked to keep all issues and concerns in one destination.*

*Thank you*

Why even have a General Issues board, since you do not really have a forum, but a single thread, started by a single member, that everyone must place all of their comments, observations and suggestions into so that they can be apparently easily ignored by you?

It would seem important to handle everything and the easiest way is to do in one thread. Look at all the threads that have been locked and how redundant they are. Frankly, I think people were just coming in without looking at anything and starting new threads that could easily fit in other threads. It's just easier to deal with rather than ignore.

Granted, it's easier to deal with a problem/s if they are all layed out in an organized fashion.

However, when there is a plethora of issues how does one triage, or sort through them for a priority, or order of treatment?

One thread, a single poster for each individual problem only tells you that poster is experienceing that particular problem.

There are a host of variables, is it them or us causing the problem. i.e. as most cable providers will assert it is almost always at the patrons end: faulty box, faulty PC, faulty hook-up/wiring, etc. etc. The problem is almost never the result of the providers faulty delivery system, faulty regional hub, down cable line, or somebody not monitoring a system for the best reception or signal, etc. and more often than not they rarely admit that the problem lies at their end and not yours. God forbid that can of worms.

Many posters writing about the same concern ligitimizes that problem and eliminates such variable speculative confusion.

"Duplicate" posting from different members is not necessarily a bad thing, on the contrary it can also be quite useful as a triage tool.

More posters writing about a specific concern amplifies the significance of that issue.

Like an alarm clock that grows ever louder until you wake up and shut it off, those multiple posts scream for that issue to be addressed! Like an irritating squeaky wheel that's saying "Hey, over here! Oil me first, please!"

When resources and time is limited you want to address the most important issues first.

This allows you to gauge member concerns and proritize the order of problem solving.

More posts from members on one issue means that concern should take priorty over fewer member posts on another issue.

So long as the members concerns are, in fact, your priorty in the first place.

If not then all this is moot anyway and you might as well just lock up and delete threads and posts to make them easier to ignor.

This is not rocket science here. If what they are dishing out smells, looks, feels, and tastes like it, then more often than not, that is what it is, if you get my meaning....

Another reason why members (myself included) are now duplicating posts in multiple threads is for the very reason that so many threads are being locked and not allowing a continuing discourse.

we all need a place to vent our own particular slant on what's going on.

Stifling membership views in this manner only contributes to and elevates the existing frustration level.

It is no way to enliven an open discussion forum.

it is, however, a good way to kill one!

The only reason why I've stuck with it here thus far is because I value TCM far more than I do the inconsiderate persons now administering this Website!

All things pass away, I am hoping that TCM will endure what is now happening to it, and will one day soon shake off these shackles and regain itself.