Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
clearskies

Edward Everett Horton

Thanks so much for posting this. Somehow I don't ever seem to think "youtube" for odd sites. I got a kick out of it.

To answer the questions about EE Horton ever in a dramatic role, I've seen him a few times as a romantic leading man!

I was lucky enough to see a rare silent film (fragments) starring Horton as the romantic leading man two women were fighting over! It was the LOC recovered portions of 1925's BEGGAR ON HORSEBACK. Apparently the last 3 of it's 7 reels had been lost to nitrite melt and unrecoverable.

It was a remarkable film because as you say, he emotes so much through his face. It was odd not hearing his famous voice, but I think we all "heard" it in our heads reading the cards. It remains as one of my most favorite Cinefest moments not only because of my beloved Horton playing a playboy, but the psychodelic drug inspired scenes in the last reels were unbelievably clever for the time.

Maybe his persona was perfect for silents, but coupling that face & voice just made him "too much" for talkies and he was downgraded to supporting charactor actor. But how wonderful a charactor actor he became!

I adore Edward Everett Horton. Would love to see that silent you mention, TikiSoo. Sounds like a trip.

EEH is my favorite thing in so many 30s comedies, e.g. Holiday, and that's saying a lot for a film that also features Lew Ayres and a free-wheeling Cary Grant. He had wonderful timing and delivery, and his face was fantastically expressive. And then there was that gorgeous voice. I heard him first on Fractured Fairy Tales when I was a kid, and then later I got a big kick when I recognized him by his voice in films. I think I made a bid for him during Summer Under the Stars one of these years. But of course I don't run anything.

BEGGAR ON HORSEBACK...the psychodelic drug inspired scenes in the last reels were unbelievably clever for the time.

I assume this was based on George S. Kaufman and Marc Connelly's clever, and bizarre, play. I'd love to see that on stage.

how cool to see all the responses to this thread. I too grew up "watching" him on Bullwinkle & Friends and was pleasantly surprised to find , years later, that he was actually a movie actor from way back. And, I, too, had totally forgot about the F Troop appearances. What nice memories.

I'm currently staying at my daughter's place on Long Island & they had a copy of "F Troop" which we put on last night. However...& this is a BIG however, it appears to be a bootlegged copy (shame) & kept freezing. I did get a glimpse of EEH as Roaring Chicken but we got so fed up that we had to turn it off. Gonna get it from Netflix when I get back home. Thanks for the tip.

Hope the Horton fans caught the silent EEH in the clip from the 1925 "Beggar on Horseback" last night around 10:30 p.m. It was a wonderful, and technically amazing for the time, dream sequence. Even without the use of that distinctive voice of his, Horton was a great comic actor.