Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why No Shane?

Guest Dimeo, Nick

Guest Dimeo, Nick

I have never seen Shane I would of liked to have seen it in November when TCM runs their Every Great Western Except Shane monthly highlight. What is the reason for this? My theory is that the studio who owns the rights to Shane (I think it's Paramount) refused to lease it to TCM for their festival so TCM got back at them by using the awkward title for their monthly highlight. I don't know, I think this is a mystery that may remain Unsolved!

Nick, I can't believe that you never saw the classic western "Shane". I believe it was shown on AMC since they had the rights to some Paramount pictures through the years. Do yourself a favor and rent it on DVD or VHS...pronto.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

Good Lord, Nick, who cares? It's not like you can't rent it. Maybe one of their programming honchos hates Shane. Maybe they assume everybody in the Western world has already seen Shane. Does it really matter? Personally, I think the asterisk thing is pretty funny. You're sure to find something else worthwhile in 288 hours of Westerns. Me, I'm looking forward to catching the entries on Images' list of 30 Great Westerns. I've only recently developed an appreciation for the Western. And like you, I'm one of the few, the proud(?), the people who've never seen Shane.*

Well, I find it odd that they aren't showing "Shane," considering the fact that if you do a search of their film library, it says that they do have "Shane." Well, they must have their reasons, and, frankly, putting that "*Except Shane" onto the title theme will get more publicity to the movie than just showing it only once in the month.

Guest Dib, M'aud

I'm just curious why TCM makes a point of saying "Except Shane". It would be nice if they explained the comment somewhere in the website. "Shane" is a classic - if it is not going to be shown, and a point is made that it won't be shown - why isn't there some explanation?

Im sorry you have never seen "Shane", as it is an unforgettable film, with many vivid scenes of prairie life, the early battles between the homesteaders and the railroads, and beautiful performances from many fine actors. Jean Arthur and Van Heflin as the hard-working parents, Alan Ladd as the reluctant hero, Jack Palance as surely one of the most menacing bad-guys in any film anywhere, make up a film of so many superlatives it is hard to know where to begin. And, when the little boy who has grown to idolize Shane shouts "Shane, Shane" at the end, it is heart-breaking indeed. Ive never been a big fan of western films, as a genre, but this one is tops.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SusieLou

I'm curious too and I watch TCM more than any other channel and I haven't heard an explanation as to why they they have to say "Except Shane."... I'm not a big fan of Westerns.... although I have watched Shane and loved it. Just wondering.....too. Thank you. (Please pardon the punctuation... or lack thereof... my comma key is not working...argh!)