Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucky Gable

JefCostello

Amazing how many movies he made with some of the most beautiful actresses and sex symbols in film history. That?s a fine list of leading ladies he got to kiss on the silver screen. What other actor can match this list? Grant? Cooper? Mastroianni?

Hedy Lamarr

Marilyn Monroe

Gene Tierney

Vivien Leigh

Sophia Loren

Grace Kelly

Ava Gardner

Jean Harlow

Greta Garbo

Lana Turner

Loretta Young

Jane Russell

Yvonne de Carlo

Doris Day

Myrna Loy

Eleanor Parker

I'd like to have seen him with Bette Davis or maybe Marlene Dietrich. Those two ladies rarely had a leading man who could match them on the screen--Spencer Tracy, Gary Cooper and John Wayne come closest for Dietrich and maybe Errol Flynn or Gary Merril for Davis.

Dietrich would have been a good addition to that list, especially in the 30's, when she was a leading sex symbol, albeit not as gorgeous as some of the women on that list.

Bette Davis would have been a good match for him in terms of the alpha female vs. the alpha male. They would have clashed pretty well on the big screen.

I guess my thread is about being envious of how many "hot" actresses Gable got to star with, and how I can't think of any other leading man who can match him in that regard.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> Dietrich would have been a good addition to that list, especially in the 30's, when she was a leading sex symbol, albeit not as gorgeous as some of the women on that list.

>

> Bette Davis would have been a good match for him in terms of the alpha female vs. the alpha male. They would have clashed pretty well on the big screen.

>

> I guess my thread is about being envious of how many "hot" actresses Gable got to star with, and how I can't think of any other leading man who can match him in that regard.

Gable did work with Dietrich -- but on the radio. In the first episode of "Lux Radio Theater" broadcast from Hollywood (June 1, 1936), they appeared in a story called "The Legionnaire And The Lady" (a retitled "Morocco"), with Gable in the Gary Cooper role.

Oh, and among the great actresses Gable got to star with, let's not forget his third wife. And Barbara Stanwyck, too.

Gable also worked with:

Constance Bennett

Norma Shearer

Joan Crawford

Marion Davies

Jeanette MacDonald

Mary Astor

Dorothy Mackaill

Helen Hayes

Rosalind Russell

Deborah Kerr

Anita Page

Carroll Baker

You all know he also "worked with" Loretta Young, right? He and Loretta have a child, which I only recently found out in watching a Gable bio. According to the child, she said she saw him only once when she was around l5, and he never admitted to her that he was her father. Loretta managed to hide the scandal, and later said she had adopted. However, when you see this woman in her youinger days, you can definitely see both her parents. She was quite beautiful. How sad she couldn't have known Gable.What happened to Gable's son by his fourth wife, who was born after Gable's death? Anyone know?

> {quote:title=jbh wrote:}{quote}

> You all know he also "worked with" Loretta Young, right? He and Loretta have a child, which I only recently found out in watching a Gable bio. According to the child, she said she saw him only once when she was around l5, and he never admitted to her that he was her father. Loretta managed to hide the scandal, and later said she had adopted. However, when you see this woman in her youinger days, you can definitely see both her parents. She was quite beautiful. How sad she couldn't have known Gable.What happened to Gable's son by his fourth wife, who was born after Gable's death? Anyone know?

He's still hanging around. Apparently he did a little acting, but never really made a career of it. No idea what he does for a living--maybe works for his father's estate?

> traceyk65 & jbh . . .

The son of legendary, King of Hollywood Clark Gable, named John Gable is still very much alive and well. After his celebrated birth in 1961 that many fans at the time believed to be Clark's only child, he lived with his mother on the 22 acre Encino, California estate that Clark had first shared with his third wife, beloved Carole Lombard. As young John grew up, he had for many years a secluded upbringing and wasn't allowed to venture out in public much. When he did, he was usually accompanied by his mother's family members and trusted employees of the Gable estate. Growing up, his favorite pastime was said to be fishing. Upon becoming a young adult, John showed no interest to following in the footsteps of his famous father. However, when he reached his 30's, he began to toy with this idea of perhaps getting into show business. It's all too logical that what gave him an open-hand or easy access was his namesake. Well, in 1990, a film producer by the name of Michael E. Forrell of "21st Century Films" decided to gamble on John's heritage! John absolutely had no kind of acting experience when he was cast in this western film entitled "Bad Jim." What makes his being in the film rather interesting from an historical point of view was that the star of the picture, actor James Brolin, had played his father Clark Gable, in the 1976 biographic film, "Gable & Lombard." The western was a reasonably well produced film with a pretty good cast that included Richard Roundtree, Harry Carey Jr., Rory Calhoun and Ty Hardin. The storyline was rather out of the ordinary; about a cowboy who buys outlaw "Billy the Kid's" horse and goes about robbing banks and then turns into a sort of "Robin Hood" character. When the film was released, it somehow failed to make any sort of respectable impression. It wasn't such an overall bad movie, but John didn't generate any important excitement the film company had hoped for, naturally on the grounds of being the son of a motion picture icon. John's inexperience or the lack of it clearly showed up on screen! There just wasn't enough positive publicly to exploit the issue of his legacy. His film career fizzled away and ended in one single stroke!

With few options available, he fell back on some family business ventures and some say he should have remained there! But, I guess the crazy lure of who his father was again came into another picture! It was 1994 and this time the NBC television network produced a TV movie on the life of novelist Margaret Mitchell that starred Shannen Doherty in the title role. Naturally, most fans know that Mitchell wrote "Gone With The Wind" that was Clark Gable's most famous motion picture! John however, wasn't really given any big role in the TV movie. In fact, he had what might be considered a bit part or even a walk-on! There was a little bit of publicity on the issue of John, but this too would fizzle itself away and the television movie wasn't anything so memorable. At this juncture, John must have come to realize his chances of making it in the business were next to none. The fact is that he had simply started late and he lacked the training or know-how that might have made the big difference. As strange as it might seem, John lacked the charisma, magnetism and the dynamic force his father had created on the motion picture screen. John would not be seen again, until 1996, appearing in a documentary about his famous movie star father.

John would try and make a few more rounds in Hollywood before finally calling it quits. Perhaps he came to realize he wasn't as energetic and fascinating as his father. There just wasn't enough of the old Clark Gable magic to rub off on his son. John then turned to motorbike racing and has since been active in this endeavor around Southern California. He has also been married twice and had two children with his second wife. Now single, he runs a nice little business in Malibu. I rather not say what or where his business is out of respect to his privacy. He remains today, as when he was child, out of the spotlight that might have been expected for him to dwell under. John just prefers to stay as relaxed as possible and lead a quiet life. He admits today that he could have never played or been the crown prince of Hollywood! One has to wonder, if John would ever consider coming on TCM and perhaps be a guest programmer? Of course, I wouldn't have to say which movie star would be appropriate for him to choose . . . Should I?

> JefCostello . . .

> Hedy Lamarr

> Marilyn Monroe

> Gene Tierney

> Vivien Leigh

> Sophia Loren

> Grace Kelly

> Ava Gardner

> Jean Harlow

> Greta Garbo

> Lana Turner

> Loretta Young

> Jane Russell

> Yvonne de Carlo

> Doris Day

> Myrna Loy

> Eleanor Parker

If you don't mind: I'd like to add lovely Susan Hayward . . .

> finance . . . I liked Loretta, but . . .

It's not so impractical to think that Loretta lack a bit of the comic fortitude that other actresses in Hollywood had, say like Carole Lombard, Roz Russell, Colbert, Ginger, Jean Arthur, Goddard or Harlow. I think Sprocket_Man hit on something clear, in relation to the overall image of Loretta that wasn't geared towards comedy and that she did lack this sort of diversity from an overall perspective as an actress. Of course, the choices she made or was given probably have a lot to do with this lack of really good comedic flare. She was a nice lady, attractive and a good actress, but I don't think such a great actress along this line of how you want to look at her career that in the process doesn't have much in the way of something so comically memorable to remember. The very strange thing about Loretta that is today somewhat forgotten was her winning the Academy Award. It's been considered by most in the business (from that time period) perhaps the biggest upset or surprise in the history of the Academy Awards. She was not the front-runner and yet somehow she received the necessary votes. As to what theories there are to Loretta winning have been too many to list or want to discuss. I guess it was just one of those crazy Hollywood things . . .

I'm not the world's most avid Loretta Young fan by any means, but after having watched a number of her films -- especially those from the pre-Code era -- I have to come to her defense. Considering her youth (she was 18 when "Platinum Blonde" was filmed, and was a teenager until January 1933), she was a fine actress, with sophistication, sex appeal and maturity that belied her years. (Her first lead role was in "Laugh, Clown, Laugh," a 1928 silent opposite Lon Chaney -- senior.) The increased exposure of her pre-Code work over the past 20 years or so has caused many to reevaluate Loretta's career, and realize she was far more than the prim Catholic type she appeared to be in the 1940s and '50s. (I'm also glad she lived to see her early work appreciated.)

As for comedic skills, she was certainly no Lombard or Loy in that department, but she made a few comedies that were okay ("Taxi!", "The Doctor Takes A Wife"). I'd certainly prefer to see Loretta in a comedy than, say, Joan Crawford (who, like Young, was best suited to dramatic fare); she had a deftness about her that Crawford lacked.

Dear MovieP: What a fabulous idea! I do not recall ever having seen Gable's son, in film or even a picture. He is still a young man, and I'm sure others would love to see him in a guest roll on TCM. You seem to have close ties with that community. Can you work some magic?

> jbh . . . In answer to your question. . .

> Dear MovieP: You seem to have close ties with that community. Can you work some magic?

I have been connected to the community for over 50 years. As for John, well for now, he probably isn't interested in the idea of being a programer on TCM. In asking him, he hasn't really said "no," while keeping us hanging on a "yes." I have to feel that the door on this question will remain open for some possible consideration in the future.

It's funny you mention "The Women," because about the only role Loretta might have been able to play was the Norma Shearer lead role and possibly that of Joan Fontaine's. Yet, I believe that Loretta was in every form and fashion *OUT CLASSED* by all those ladies of the MGM 1939 classic film! It isn't that I feel Loretta wasn't capable of some good acting, I just see her as limited in some respects to how her film career finally evolved. Of course, Loretta would go on to have a weekly, popular television series, abandoning her major film career. This was probably a smart career move and it allowed her an even bigger sense of success than when she was a major film star. Throughout the 1950's, Loretta was a house-hold idol among millions of housewifes, as her television show became so highly rated. Yet, for all her time in show business, I just don't see the overall seriousness to her dramatic career and that she was more a movie star for hire than a really solid bona fide actress. I have more feelings for Susan Hayward than Loretta, simply because Susan took some tough risks or chances with roles that I feel Loretta never did. While I do in some professional regard have to respect Loretta's status in Hollywood, her move to television signified that she could have never held on to that star status as long as others did in motion pictures.