Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is your favorite Cinematography

I like the works of Lee Garmes, James Wong Howe, William Daniels, Ernest Haller, George Folsey, Harold Rosson, just to name a few. All of them worked so well with the black and white palette.

Ray Rennahan is a favorite of mine for Technicolor photography.

Gregg Toland for *The Grapes of Wrath*. I bought a new tv recently. Took the DVD of *The Grapes of Wrath* with me to the Sony showroom, because there is no other film with such sublime black and white cinematography. Good to check tv quality!

--I adore Tolland, esp Citizen Kane of course

--Freddie Young for all of his David Lean epics---gorgeous!

--Joseph Walker's early Capra films are beautifully photographed as well

--Daniel L Fapp for in West Side Story (though I should credit Jerry Robbins for the dance photography)

James Wong Howe was the first cinematographer who ever caught me eye and made me want to know more about him and the art of cinematography.

Others I have relished: Greg Toland, William Daniels, Bert Glennon, Winton Hoch, Nestor Almendros, Sven Nykist, Lazlo Kovacs, Conrad Hall, Vilmos Zsigmond and Bert's son, James, are the ones that come to mind right now.

Freddie Young for Doctor Zhivago. Even if the movie failed to make an impact with the critics, it has in time become a classic and the cinematography by Young as directed by David Lean was second to none in 1965! Sure, "The Sound of Music" might have won the Academy Award for best picture, but Doctor Zhivago was the real winner along all the technical lines there are to filmmaking, especially the way Freddie Young shot the motion picture and he managed to take home a well deserved "Oscar" for his efforts!

Don't forget John Alcott for Barry Lyndon and The Shining. I would also remember Georgi Rerberg for The Mirror and Staker. Don't forget Giorgos Arvanitis and Andreas Sinanos for Eternity and a Day as well as The Weeping Meadow (Sinanos only). There should be a special hello for Tilman Buttner for Russian Ark.

Count me with Sprocket Man in the Jack Cardiff camp. Color cinematography at its best. Freddie Young is another great choice. For brilliant work in a single film, Ted Scaife for The Kremlin Letter deserves a look.

Among the many black & white cinematographers, no one has mentioned Oswald Morris, another favorite. The Hill is an excellent example of his work.

Did anyone mention Stanley Cortez (The Secret Beyond the Door)?

I don't know the name of the cinematographer but when I think of cinematography, I always think of The Great Gatsby. The movie has a radiance, a shimmer, an other-worldly feeling that makes it lovely to watch. And Robert Redford didn't hurt. There are so many stunning films where the location almost nullifies the story itself. Wish we could see all of them on the big screen again. Those were the days!

Edited by: jbh on Mar 25, 2011 7:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet mentioned is Haskell Wexler. He was either the cinematographer, or DP, on lots of great films. He is probably best remembered for *Medium Cool*, but he did lots of films you know, like *Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?*, and *The Thomas Crown Affair*. My favorites are *The Loved One*, *One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest*, and *Bound for Glory*, which has one of the longest takes ever done with a Steadicam, not long after they were invented. Fred hates that one... :P