Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

APRIL, MAY, JUNE SCHEDULES HERE

Thanks classicstarlets for this great thread. Now,until I expire or TCM expires, I will know how to get to that info quickly. By the way,if you are on the west coast just enter pst instead of est.

No, you cannot just substitute pst for est in the URL!

When I tried to do this and paste the resultant URL into my browser, it *still* came up with EST. In about one year, I suppose, the TCM programmers will find a way to bring up the schedules for something *other* than EST. But then, this is par for their course.

Musikone

(not expecting the correct answer)

Here is an addition to my recent reply in this same thread.

Even if one is able to get schedules in other than EST, there is still no brief description of the movie, which we got on the old schedule before the "improved" version was sneaked in here before anyone could object.

And yes, I am still objecting and will continue to object ad infinitum until we get an improvement *without the quotation marks.*

Musikone

(on a sour note)

Disregard it saying Eastern Standard Time; it still looks like 3 hours earlier for me by using pst.

You are right on this particular point--just regard the continuing programming errors, which is what this is. It is of course better than being faced with a misguided (ignore the longtime TCM base), aggressive marketing approach to selling DVDs, which is what has got us here. Hurried for time, I complained after seeing this prominent statement after I substituted "p" for "e" in the URL (where does this come from?) which was given for the new monthly schedule. My error notwithstanding, making available the schedule in all time zones, albeit more work than simply clicking the mouse once at a highly visible spot within the schedule listing (the older, tried-and-true way of doing things), does not come close to resolving the ongoing schedule issues.

As I have already stated, there is no brief description of each item on the list. It is *UNACCEPTABLE* to be have to return to different (and very disgusting to those of use who have come to expect something far superior, over a period of years) schedule page to be able to view these descriptions. There is no substitute for having these descriptions present along with the information that is now being coughed up by those who have come up with this bad joke.

Also extremely important is the matter of printing the schedule. Just as the statement that all times are Eastern is in error, so is the prominent word "PRINT" at the top of the listing. When I click on this word, I am taken to the standard webpage error message; i.e., the schedule cannot be printed. When I make out my viewing schedule for the days, weeks, and/or months ahead, I do it from printed schedules. Therefore, in my opinion, a schedule which cannot be printed out is virtually useless. Just another programming error?

I recall that I was always able to print out the schedule as it formerly existed; i.e., before the new "improved" version with a continual procession of programming errors.

Musikone

TCM did not bring back what was deleted in the headlong rush to this new format. Read my last post (just made) for a description of what is still lacking from the schedule.

Save your compliments for TCM until they have corrected these obvious omissions, both in intent and in programming errors.

Let us wait and see what new programming errors show up when the current error that prevents the schedule from being printed is corrected to reflect the intent.

Musikone

Who in the world changed the format of the monthly schedule? What TCM offers now is absolutely horrible. This isn't simply another case of some old **** that can't get along with the 'new-fangled' way of doing things. . . No, Really-it's horrible!! We like full descriptions - We like the option of pulling up a whole month's schedule in one fell swoop. I print up every month without fail. I'll assume that this is a maneuver to get us all to purchase the TCM magazine. Aaargh-change it back!!

It's also still all screwed-up as to which films are letterboxed and which ones aren't.

Who was it that gave the TCM website an award? They often refer to their "award-winning website."

There is someone at the door - they want their award back.

I think that the explanation as to why so many beloved features of the website have been gutted is that TCM outsourced the revision of the site to AMC. :)

I don't care.

The only reason I needed it back is that it's easy to scan through and it provided access several months ahead.

On the old schedule the plot descriptions didn't matter to me, all I'm interested in is who made the thing and maybe who's in it. I probably already know what the movie is about or I could just as easily find out on wikipedia, IMDB, or any number of websites (which is exactly what I did even when the descriptions were there.)

I don't need to know when something is letterboxed or not.

I'm smart enough to subtract 2 hours from EST to get my Mountain Time (8:00 PM means 6:00 PM - VERY difficult...)

As for printing: COPY & PASTE

All I can say to you, Jonas, is that you have a whale of a lot of "dont-cares"!

Don't ever take on a job which involves paying attention to details. People who are concerned with getting the details right (not apparently the TCM programmers who have screwed this up so badly) *DO* care.

Musikone

(a "detail" person)

I pay attention to important details.

It's clearly a work in progress: They'll eventually get you what you want - I already have what I want. It's not the end of the world.

It is wrong to reach an eminently logical conclusion based upon the overwhelming number and intensity of complaints voiced here against the new format at TCM.COM. These numbers fail to reflect the path that we are on, due to marketing considerations. Namely, a marketing decision was made, rightly or wrongly, that the number of lost DVD sales from longtime classic movie enthusiasts who are very upset with the misguided dumbing-down of this format will be more than counter-balanced by additional DVD sales from new arrivals who have discovered the attraction of a type of movie (ill-defined) quite unlike that to which they are currently accustomed.

However, an unforeseen (by an aggressive marketing department) response occurred. When this new format was sprung without warning upon an unsuspecting support base, the instantaneous firestorm of criticism surely prompted some second thoughts about its decision to adopt a new (and insulting) format, well before this new format's effect upon TCM's total DVD sales becomes known.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Surely the longtime support base for classic movies far exceeds the number of newly acquired (and hence not yet firmly committed) "enthusiasts." It follows that, if a disgruntled longtime base fails to buy DVDs from TCM, TCM's total DVD sales will decline--not what TCM expected from its marketing calculations. Whether or not TCM seeks to correct its mistake by a painful, slow tinkering around the edges, as now appears to be likely, or by a quick (albeit highly embarrassing in real-time) backtracking remains to be seen.

It has taken many long years for TCM to acquire a base of goodwill and earn respect for its [former :-(] award-winning web site. How much of this capital is TCM willing to spend in the interim period before the inevitable housecleaning?

Why not *NOW,* before this capital is depleted?

Musikone

[Al is in Wonderland!]

[where things are seldom what they appear to be]

What happened to the three month schedule? I used to depend on it, and prepare a schedule of my own of which movies I wanted to catch. Now there's only the current month. Is this temporary? Will it be fixed. Please, someone at TCM give us an answer. And, by the by, I'm siding with those who don't care for the site makeover. It's hard on the eyes. The old format may have looked somewhat stodgy, but it was easy to read.

Paste a copy of the (recently provided) description-less schedule WHERE?

Of course, if the PRINT icon at the top of the schedule would properly reformat the schedule so that it is suitable for printing, I could print the result. As it now stands however, clicking on this icon gives an error message which states that there is not a web page with the expected schedule reformatted for printing.

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are seldom what they seem to be

> {quote:title=pakrin wrote:}{quote}

> NOW .... how do we change it to MST time zone?

In the URL address for each month, change est to mst in the address.

But it is too much to expect that the day, whatever that may be, should always begin at 12:00 AM, regardless of the particular time zone!

When I change the URL to reconcile the schedule with my time zone (pacific), the first entry on the list is at some random time, rather than properly being the time of the first movie that is shown *after midnight on the preceding day!* Apparently whoever is programming the schedule cannot understand these complicated facts of life in the time zone. Why, then, is this person *still* on the job screwing up the schedules? Maybe this is because he/she is making the minimum wage. That's it!

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are not what they seem to be

The link on the Print button in the April schedule takes you to a pdf of what's coming up in March.

So that's a problem.

I too miss the sentence descriptions of the films. But I'm glad we still have the top-billed stars, director, letterbox information, etc.

Yes, this is a *HUGE* problem; this is not the accepted result of clicking on a PRINT icon for text being displayed upon the screen! The fact that it is happening illustrates the total incompetence of the someone who is creating the schedule which we need to organize our movie viewing. Clicking on this icon is *supposed to* reformat the schedule so that it is suitable for printing. Period.

When this click instead brings up THIS MONTH ON TCM, a replica of the information in the Now Playing Guide, this Wondrous result is unacceptable. Someone should inform someone about the purpose of this PRINT icon.

Do you get the point? All of these anonymous "someones" hanging out here when they should be out on the beach doing what they know how to do (I assume)?

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are *not* what they appear to be

Whatever happened to all those promises of a month ago that the old monthly schedule formats (with plot summaries, and all on one page) were going to be restored and posted two months in advance, at least as an option? And why is this taking so long to "fix"?

Edited by: AndyM108 on Apr 11, 2011 9:34 AM