Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

Perhaps it's this endless winter (I reside in Bismarck, ND: "The Place Custer Died Trying To Escape") or maybe because my R hip is killing me, but there are those whose performances or SOMETHING I can't stand!

1) Frank Morgan (although he was perfect in "The Great Sinner"). Those silly, stammering goofy gags of his makes me, well, gag.

2) Edward Everett Horton. His work in "The Gay Divorcee" was quite repellent and his voice is sheer fingernails on the chalkboard.

3) Eve Arden and her EVERYTIME wisecracking delivery is corny and boring.

4) ANYBODY who plays drunk comically, especially Van Heflin (even though it somehow earned him an Oscar nod, once).

5) She is NOT an actress, but (sigh) Cher...giving her a Best Actress Oscar was a crime.

I'll think of others. Tell me how wrong I am. But I know you have yours!

As Edward Everett Horton might say, "Oh my!" Several of us have a thread praising him going on simultaneously in this same forum.

Others have expressed warm and fuzzy feelings for Frank Morgan. He was a great foil to William Powell in "The Great Ziegfeld." The scene where he comes to visit his old, ill rival, while trying hard to cover up his own falling on hard times, remains touching.

It goes to show how much tastes can differ. On another thread, I saw someone describe "42nd Street" as "tasteless," and Warner Baxter's acting as over the top. I have different notions of "tasteless," and think that Baxter turns in a great performance as a manic-depressive (or "bipolar," as we've been taught to say), driven taskmaster. I suspect his performance will ring very true with others who have ever worked with someone like his character.

So I guess I will wait until a day comes when I'm feeling really cranky (and they do come) to produce my "little list," a la Gilbert and Sullivan. Meanwhile, spring is on the way, Bismarck. It should arrive in six weeks or less, where you live.

Loretta Young irritates me. I don't think she's a good actress and don't like her style/manner. In more recent times, I don't like Christopher Lloyd. His kind of broadness might suit a vaudeville stage, but I find it excrutiating in the movies.

Cher. By all means, Cher. I get that she is very popular and so are her films, but to give her an Oscar? I very much disagree. Stick to singing.

Yeah, June Allyson is pretty irritating most of the time. You have to wonder why she became even a second tier star. The one exception for me with Allyson is her performance as the young step-daughter in *The Secret Heart*, in which she was both irritating and sympathetic at the same time.

Of course my fave star I love to hate is...Katharine Hepburn ! Although I do like several films of hers', for the most part I find her unbearably smug, affected, and just too, too wonderful for words.

AGREEMENT(s) to you and Wonderly.

Allyson and Hepburn...both sexless nags with irritating voices.

Why the Academy loved Hepburn to the end of time will always be a puzzlement.

She was arrogant, plain-looking and her acting was overrated and underpowered.

What Spencer saw in her...maybe that contributed to his confused sexual preferences.

When you think about the actors and actresses of the past there was something about them that made them distinctive. They were subjects of parody by people like Frank Gorshin or Rich Little. In short, I cannot understand the popularity of a Johnny Depp or the less popular Ben Affleck who thankfully has gone into directing. I do like Russell Crowe ,Matt Damon, and Denzel Washington. These inane comedies that flood the market these days I abhor and unfortunately it rubs off on those actors and actresses who appear in them to their detriment.Well, whether you agree or disagree with me, I have had my say.

Lana Turner... plastic and humorless

Sandra Dee.... zero acting ability

Grace Kelly.... over-enunciating horror

june allyson, june allyson, june allyson,

kate hepburn, (sometimes) she is grossly over rated, for sure

just those 2 says it all!

i agree with these 3 "actresses" too

but also, one can add ingrid bergman(her sappy over the top love seens are ridiculous - especially in Notorious (check out her acting at the horse racing scene)

she was not that bad, though, ingrid was for the most part ok

but these three listed in the previous posting rate at the top!

Eddie Deezen, who out there don't want to ring his pencil neck.

Pee Wee Herman, who's charactor is irritating as hell. Hope he had rode that bicycle on "India's Highway of Death".

Many people love him, but Barry Fitzgerald makes me want to run screaming out of the room. You know the sniveling, vicious coward he plays in THE SEA WOLF? That's what I seen in him in all the roles where he's supposed to be adorable and charming.

I agree with Esther Williams, June Allyson and Kate Hepburn. I would add Ruby Keeler, Judy Holliday and Mercedes McCambridge to that list.

I beg to differ. She was totally believable in Mask and Silkwood and I can't imagine anybody else as Loretta in Moonstruck. She deserved that Oscar.

Johnny Depp is the best of the modern actors. He will try anything and usually gets it right. He seems to have his head on straight as well. I hope I get to see him "thank the Academy"

Edited by: wouldbestar on Mar 24, 2011 2:38 PM

I love it.This is one of those topics that can get people really going, but, we are all certainly entitled to our own tastes.. A few of my most 'irritating' :

Loretta Young

Harrison Ford

John Travolta

Dustin Hoffman

the oft-mentioned June Allyson

Angelina Jolie

Meg Ryan

Meg Ryan

and did I mention, MEG RYAN

As for some of the ones mentioned, Cher is the one I would really disagree with. I was first impressed with her work in SILKWOOD, then totally blown away by her performance in COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN ,JIMMY DEAN... Man, I thought she was fantastic in that. MOONSTRUCK may not be one of my favorites, but I thought she was wonderful.

Katharine Hepburn

Thelma Ritter

Zasu Pitts

June Allyson

Mercedes McCambridge

Can anyone imagine having all these dames in the same movie at the same time?

I hate to pile on June Allyson, but she is on my list too.

Along with...

Katharine Hepburn

Marlon Brando

Grace Kelly

Cher

Fred, apart from Zasu Pitts, it seems that you don't like ladies with deep voices! What are you trying to tell us?

I'm not a huge Kate Hepburn fan, but I'm really surprised that so many people on a classic movie board don't like her.

Very interesting.

I can't say the reasons aren't good in some instances.

Katharine Hepburn and Thelma Ritter have irritating raspy voices. Ritter could play only one role, and that was Ritter. She never played anything other than Ritter.

Zasu Pitts whines all the time. "Ohhh... ohhh my... ohhh... "

June Allyson always sound's like she has a cold.

Mercedes McCambridge sounds too masculine for me.

You do realize that the little (big) pervert PeeWee Herman in now on HBO with his own show? And I don't think it's geared toward children this time. Talk about insulting one's intelligence, one's sense of what's appropriate. I loathe, abominate, detest, and despise this little creep!