Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

In addition to her performances, which I love, the Great Kate supported the Progressive Party's Henry Wallace for President in 1948. She even read a speech on his behalf, denouncing HUAC, and in support of Wallace's use of the Hollywood Bowl for a campaign rally, which he had been denied. Similarly, when she was appearing on Broadway in Coco, Kate made a moving speech, onstage, in 1970, right after the students had been shot at Kent State.

Jane Fonda's political activities were her right to pursue, particularly in opposition to a war that now just about everyone sees as a foolhardy waste of American lives. I would be more concerned with the actions of Adolphe Menjou, Robert Taylor, Elia Kazan and their ilk, who would deprive American citizens of their right to free speech.

I had made a post some time ago about distinguishing an actor's PERFORMANCES from their off-screen life. You touch on a lot of this. Some people cannot seem to separate the two. I had taken this thread to mean performers whose WORK irritates me. I don't give a rat's a** what an actor's politics or bedroom antics are or are not. If I respond to the performances, that's fine with me. Granted, it's not always easy. I don't particularly LIKE knowing everything I know about an actor, but I can't let it stop me from enjoying the movies. (Btw, I've always had a love/hate relationship with Katharine Hepburn. But, I have to say, the joy I get from my favorite Kate perfomances (Holiday, Philadelphia Story, Alice Adams, Stage Door, Lion in Winter...) usually wins out.

> {quote:title=ennisdelmar2 wrote:}{quote}

> I had made a post some time ago about distinguishing an actor's PERFORMANCES from their off-screen life. You touch on a lot of this. Some people cannot seem to separate the two. I had taken this thread to mean performers whose WORK irritates me. I don't give a rat's a** what an actor's politics or bedroom antics are or are not. If I respond to the performances, that's fine with me. Granted, it's not always easy. I don't particularly LIKE knowing everything I know about an actor, but I can't let it stop me from enjoying the movies. ...

ennisdelmar, Yes, Yes, Yes ! That is exactly how I feel about this matter. I've said it many times here, but I think your comment absolutely nails it. Let's not let an actor/director's private life affect our appreciation of their work.

Ennis, I agree with you. I was responding to the preponderance of "Hanoi Jane" comments that found their way into this thread. But sometimes it's either hard to separate work from life (e.g. Von Trier's deeply offensive and stupid behavior at Cannes); or it's kind of nice to know that artists whose work you respect also share your values (whatever they are) in their "private" lives.

Allow me one "aside" related to your name. I think one of the best films of the 1980s was Reds. It was clearly head and shoulders above the Oscar winner that year -- the enjoyable Chariots of Fire. I think the Academy voters didn't pick Reds because they were reacting to the public perception of Hollywood as left-wing and didn't want to provide more "evidence" of that. Similarly, I think, when they didn't pick Brokeback Mountain a few decades later, it was because the voters were reacting to the public perception of Hollywood as gay. I think it's a shame those two great films didn't win the big award, and simply, I believe, due to politics. So politics and "art" do tend to go together, even if we don't want them to.

Btw, in the cases of both those movies, the films' directors (Warren Beatty and Ang Lee) won for best director -- that's fairly unusual, when the film doesn't win, and I think serves to support my point.

You're the "noir" man--I'm talking about the Negulesco noir classic: *Road House*.

In *Road House*, finance would have to be Ida Lupino and June Allyson would fill in for Richard Widmark. That might sound a little weird though.

Shelly Winters! Although she gets my mad respect with her talent, she may be too good at playing the whining, clinging white trash. Love to hate her (characters) : )

I was looking for a "Like" button like facebook has. I agree with both of the Shelly Winters sentiments here and I didn't notice this thread until after I posted. Her one role I didn't get the joy of despising her in was the Poseidon Adventure. Well, ok...maybe a little, but she was a hero.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> No problem. I played the Ida Lupino role in a Community Players production of THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT.

I auditioned for that part. Damn you!