Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

Fred, I'm confused. I can understand KH's turning down "Bride." But did I understand you to say she turned down Anthony Perkins' role in Psycho? Was the role originally for a woman? Perkins is one who could definitely irritate, but I love Psycho. Please help me out here. Thanks.

This is a question for Fred, not a response to Asco. Has something happened with the reply- to- thread post? Not complaining, just asking.

Edited by: jbh on Mar 26, 2011 3:53 PM

Edited by: jbh on Mar 26, 2011 3:55 PM

> Another modern actor who is good (as long as he's sober) is Robert Downey Jr.

I don't know; I thought Downey was a riot in [*Less Than Zero*|http://justacineast.blogspot.com/2008/06/lost-weekend-is-now-screwball-comedy.html]

Edited by: Fedya on Mar 26, 2011 9:33 PM, to point out that apparently you still can't hyperlink text in General discussions.

> {quote:title=jbh wrote:}{quote}

> Fred, I'm confused. I can understand KH's turning down "Bride." But did I understand you to say she turned down Anthony Perkins' role in Psycho? Was the role originally for a woman? Perkins is one who could definitely irritate, but I love Psycho. Please help me out here. Thanks.

:)

I was just joking. The bride and Perkins were both creepy to me, and so is what's her name.

I asked someone else this and didn't get a reply; What films roles has Depp done that you really like; that you believe are really good action good work?

Hey, I also like the guy and he has that element of bad boy charm but I admit I'm very disapointed with him when I look at this actual work. A few good roles but mostly camp movies. In the last 10 years I don't see any serious acting from the guy. Mostly just a disney camp actor.

But we seemed to have switched over to current actors. For some reason I thought it was mostly going to be about actors from the "classic" era. You almost need a separate thread for actors people find irritating today .

HER FELLOW SWEDE, MISS GARBO, HAD PERFECT FEATURES, CHECK OUT INGRID'S PROFILE, GG WAS PERFECT FROM EVERY ANGLE AND THOSE ARE THE WORDS OF MGM'S CAMERAMEN, IN PARTICULAR, WILLIAM DANIELS, INGRID WAS BEAUTIFUL, YES, BUT IN A DIFFERENT WAY, SHE WAS NOT PERFECT IN THE SENSE OF ALMOST LOOKING LIKE A STATUTE, HAVE YOU EVER CAUGHT GARBO IN MATA HARI??????????????????????????????????????/

Neither of those lovely Swedish ladies irritate me, but I find Bergman to be totally different from Garbo. Not comparable at all. I tend to compare Garbo to Dietrich, and although I like Garbo, I LOVE Dietrich. I believe Garbo had more formal training, but somehow I think Dietrich is just transcendant. For me, there is nothing on screen equal in radiance to some of Dietrich's scenes, particularly in the Von Sternberg movies.

Bergman, on the other hand, is from a slightly later period and made different kinds of films; a much more rounded character (literally AND figuratively); less a symbolic icon.

yes, i agree, although, Garbo is still considered to be the most beautiful and photogenic actress ever on the screen, and yes, she had some formal training she had a scholarship to the Swedish institute of acting, i believe Bergman was formally trained also, GG also did stage work, but Bergman was a different style, Garbo is know for being subtle, remember, she also made the great and difficult transition from silents to sound, that alone is a great accomplishment!

Maybe that's why some people watch TCM, because they find current actors irritating. I myself don't know the current actors well enough to be irritated.

Oh, johnbabe, I wasn't actually comparing Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman, their common country of origin notwithstanding. They're very different, from different eras, and I like them both. I just brought up the sacred name of GRETA GARBO to tease you, in a friendly way. I knew if I mentioned the mysterious one's name I'd get a reaction ! (Does this make me a troll? ) :)

Neither of those ladies irritates me. I do prefer Ingrid, and although I said I wasn't comparing them, since it's come up, I would go so far as to say, Greta's cold, Ingrid's warm. I know Garbo made many steamy love scenes etc,, but Ingrid Bergman comes across as warm and human, Garbo as cool and goddess-like.

Anyway, I had to come to Ingrid's defense - you were dissing her performance in that wonderful scene from *Notorious* .

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 28, 2011 10:58 AM

The one actress that I can not stand is Greta Garbo.

Oh man. Where do I begin? Overrated looks, can't act, boring screen presence...Ha! Ha! Haaa!!!!

I just wanted to annoy her loyal subjects.

No seriously, BIG fan of Garbo, Bergman & Dietrich. I call them my (3) euro-babes:D

Now the real irritants:

actresses:

Shirley Maclaine

Audrey Hepburn

Grace Kelly

Julie Andrews

Barbara Stanwyck - her movie career only. LOVE her on the BIG VALLEY.

Maureen O'Sullivan

Faye Dunaway

Shelley Winters

Julie Christie

Meg Ryan

Gwyneth Paltrow - BIG fan of her mom though.

actors:

James Stewart

Marlon Brando

Gary Cooper

John Wayne

Fred MacMurray

Peter Lorre

Sylvester Stallone

Clark Gable

Gene Kelly

Fredric March

Garbo is the textbook example of a star who was "discovered" then manufactured.

Look at her pictures from Sweden prior to being sent for by MGM...you wouldn't bother to throw rocks at her!

But Thalberg and Mayer wanted to make a point: they could make ANYBODY a star. She was starved, the fat rubbed off her daily, teeth reconfigured then the makeup, hair and lighting geniuses in Culver City did their magic.

She could act...a little.

Edited by: Ascotrudgeracer on Mar 28, 2011 1:30 PM

Barbara Stanwyck was the actress I thought I didn't like. That was up untill yesterday, when I watched 'Stella Dallas'. I now realize it has been the characters she's played that rubbed me so wrong.( Which probably speaks well of her acting). Always being the gruff, out spoken, female in the group. Stella Dallas actually brought tears to my eyes yesterday, the character she played I found so sad, I empathized with her. I believe it was watching Barbara Stanwyck in this role that made me discover it wasn't HER I didn't like, but it has been the characters she has usually played that has always made me so uncomfortable. By the way, Greta Garbo has long time been one of my fav's, probably for very shallow reason's, I've always thought she was very beautiful, and always loved her laugh. I'm not a critic of acting, as what I know about about acting couldn't fill a single page. I am however a great critic on movies!

Actresses who irritate me: Doris Roberts and Julia Roberts (wonder if they're related?). And Jane

Lynch (the commercials she does for Xfinity). Plus Cher. But the fewer mentions of her on this site the better.

Kathryn Grayson. I cannot watch a movie with her in it. I just can't.

Gene Kelly also rubs me the wrong way. All that mugging.

As you can imagine, ANCHORS AWEIGH is my idea of pure torture.

Runners up: Greer Garson (a star...why, exactly?)....and Walter Pidgeon, who puts me right to sleep the minute he opens his mouth.

I could never stand Gene Kelly...always thought he acted so goofy, but you nailed it.

He was always mugging for the camera, trying (badly) to steal scenes.

Oddly, I liked him in "Inherit the Wind." He was pretty good in that.

For me, James Mason ruins every movie I see him in. When Fredric March takes the fatal swim in the 30's "A Star is Born", I feel like something precious is being lost. When Mason does likewise in the 50's version, my thoughts are "go jump in the lake" and "good riddance". That blase weariness of his leads the league in tiresome to me.

Haha great thread! I'm so relieved to see I'm not the only one who can't stand June Allyson.....Ingrid Bergman, Jane Wyman, AUDREY Hepburn, and Mickey Rooney and Van Johnson....UGH!

In modern film, only Benicio Del Toro makes my skin crawl...