Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

i totally agree with you, it has happened to me too, especially with Queen Christina, i never remember seeing Garbo except as a child when my mom took me to see the re-release of Camille, but when i started watching TCM i became a new fan of many of these stars, it is like i was seeing them when they first came out, thank goodness for TCM and the films!

I'm of French Canadian ancestry, and I hate Jim Carrey. William Shatner also gives me a pain. Jerry Lewis (not Canadian) is another person I find distinctly unfunny.

I don't care for Sinatra in most of his films except From Here to Eternity, Man with a Golden Arm, and Manuchurian Candidate.

Other annoying people -- Meg Ryan in anything after Sleepless in Seattle. I remember watching "Kate and Leopold" being continuously annoyed at her lips and hair, and unable to figure out why Hugh Jackman wanted her. By the way, Jackman is a favorite of mine, but hate all those stupid action pictures he's in. Liam Neeson is another one. Why do good actors accept lucrative but lousy material?

Sometimes I like actresses with slightly irritating or raspy voices -- Jean Arthur, Glynis Johns.

Can't stand Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, but like her with Chevalier. I also like Chevalier and Charles Boyer -- I guess that's the French part.

I don't care for Claudette Colbert after about 1942. It seems as if she fakes a kind of girlish quality that doesn't work anymore.

I don't think much of Lana Turner as an actress. I think "The Postman Always Rings Twice" is the only thing I can tolerate her in.

Miriam Hopkins was a great actress, but gets on my nerves at times (and apparently her directors' and co-stars, too!)

I don't care for some of Judy Garland's work after 1945.

Robert Taylor is an attractive bore.

Some of Norma Shearer's performances are mannered and "actressy". Her early 30s work holds up better than her later work.

I tend to agree with you; I'm a big fan of Warners and their stars and then RKO, and then Paramount. MGM did some nice comedies (I love Powell Loy), but otherwise I like the grit of a Warner picture way more than the MGM glamor. Funny you mention Harlow because I'm not really much of a fan of hers. Now I'm more of a fan since I saw all of the movies TCM showed this March. To me Harlow didn't fit MGM; i.e. I would of liked to see her in a Warner movie with say someone like Bogie or Cagney (yea she did do Public Enemy with him but she was still in the learning mode then). But her movies with Gable were good (i.e. they made a good team since their characters fit well together).

Of call the MGM stars I like Joan Crawford. Joan was also a hard women and thus she added something to those MGM movies that they really needed in my view.

> {quote:title=ninafan wrote:}{quote}

> HANDS DOWN!! It has to be Gwyneth Paltrow. I am sorry, BUT-In almost every movie she has the same facial expression-similar to that of a very small infant having a really good bowel movement. UGH, and that lazy voice of hers. How did she win an Oscar?

...and she's going to play Dietrich. OY.

I agree with some already mentioned, like June Allyson (those bangs! and that goofy grin!) McDonald and Eddy, Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler and Mickey Rooney and have to add Mae West after 1934, Greer Garson (except Pride and Prejudice) Shirley Temple (as a young child--she was better as a teen)and Raquel Welch.

Moderns:

Kristen Stewart (the girl from the Twilight series) and

Jim Carrey (except The Truman Show )

Adam Sandler (who hasn't been funny since "The Hanukah Song")

Keanu Reeves (even his name is annoying)

Aston Kutcher (ditto)

MacCauley Culkin

Each and every Reality "star"

Julia Roberts. She has ruined the close-up. I guess men like her, and that's what she's all about. But the close-up of the mouth, that has to go, of course, from one yard to the other, has got to be the only reason why men like her. It's embarrassing, and I'm sure men have to be bored w/it by now. After her, hands down, Ben Affleck. Again, the close-up. Ok, they give him one. Probably because he doesn't know how to take acting direction, and then, there we are, stuck w/watching him in close-up, not knowing what to do, for sometimes it seems an eternity. An eternity because he doesn't know how to act. He needs the same director he had in that movie where he played George Reeves, and that's it. For the rest of his acting life.

No, no, no! Did I just read Paltrow's playing Dietrich? Can you say rollover in your grave? JEEZ! How much did she pay for that part! First off, and tell me I'm not the only one on this, but don't you have to have a modicum of SEX APPEAL to be able to pull off Dietrich? Or did I miss something in all my years and devotion to any Dietrich/von Sternberg movies? She's not going to re-create the club kiss in "Moracco," is she? Tell me there's a God! Can you imagine, if you dare, Cooper having to pull off a scene opposite GP? Would she have a club in her hand? Dietrich was about seduction, in case you don't catch my drift, and I'd like to know from where, at this late date, GP thinks she's going to pull that out of. I have to go, I feel a little queasy, don't tell me anymore . . .

I wish that someone would post a photo of a small infant having a very good bowel movement, so I could get some idea of what that facial expression looks like.

> {quote:title=1968B2 wrote:}{quote}

> No, no, no! Did I just read Paltrow's playing Dietrich? Can you say rollover in your grave? JEEZ! How much did she pay for that part! First off, and tell me I'm not the only one on this, but don't you have to have a modicum of SEX APPEAL to be able to pull off Dietrich? Or did I miss something in all my years and devotion to any Dietrich/von Sternberg movies? She's not going to re-create the club kiss in "Moracco," is she? Tell me there's a God! Can you imagine, if you dare, Cooper having to pull off a scene opposite GP? Would she have a club in her hand? Dietrich was about seduction, in case you don't catch my drift, and I'd like to know from where, at this late date, GP thinks she's going to pull that out of. I have to go, I feel a little queasy, don't tell me anymore . . .

"The as-yet-untitled film will air on the BBC in the UK and HBO in America."

Part of me wants to see it--it's like a train wreck--you don;t want to look, because it's bound to be horrible, but you just have to...

> Julia Roberts. She has ruined the close-up. I guess men like her, and that's what she's all about. But the close-up of the mouth, that has to go, of course, from one yard to the other, has got to be the only reason why men like her. It's embarrassing, and I'm sure men have to be bored w/it by now.

Don't forget that annoying cackle of hers. Lay the freaking egg already!

Polly Moran. A few years ago, I watched much of Marie Dressler's SUTS day, including the films she did with Moran ("Prosperity", "Politics", etc.). As much as I adored Dressler, that's how much I couldn't stand Moran. She played so broad and wasn't much beyond a vaudeville comic. I also have the same complaints about Patsy Kelly.

Edited by: rbfrys on Apr 1, 2011 12:15 PM

I guess I'm also of the camp that prefers Warners,RKO's. and other stars to MGMs, except for Tracy, Gable, Harlow, Powell, and Loy. After the 30s, MGMs product seemed pretty bland. Warners seemed to have an energy and grit that kept things interesting.

Certain actors -- Stewart Granger, Ralph Bellamy, Joseph Cotton, Richard Widmark in supposed comedies -- not really appealing to me. Among women, June Allyson, Jane Wyman and Ruby Keeler. And TCM's recent Hal Roach Studios tribute exposed me at last to Harry Langdon, and I simply didn't find those shorts funny -- I guess he was successful because at the time there really wasn't much competition.

But -- irritating! Except for "Some Like It Hot," Marilyn Monroe. Except for "Terms of Endearment" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," Jack Nicholson.

> Julia Roberts. She has ruined the close-up. I guess men like her, and that's what she's all about. But the close-up of the mouth, that has to go, of course, from one yard to the other, has got to be the only reason why men like her. It's embarrassing, and I'm sure men have to be bored w/it by now.

Pre-"Erin Brockovich," I felt much the same way about her (of course, back then, People magazine jammed her down our throats in much the same way they do Jennifer Aniston now). Since then, I've come to respect her as a decent actress.

And the close-up -- "what she's all about"? In Julia's defense, she's always had good legs.

My informal polling on Julie Roberts is that women 'like her' way more than men do.

Mags like Maxim rate her very low just like Sarah Jessica Parker (who was rated the lowest star viewed as being 'hot' by the media that men clearly say is not).

As for Roberts I feel she does good acting and to me she is a likely character, but she isn't no great beauty. Both women have a great sense of style but for many men that isn't of much interest.

Did somebody mention Marie Dressler?-----Irritating!. By now, virtually every actor in classic Hollywood has been panned by someone as being irritating, with the possible exception of Asta.

In fact, just as I didn't see anyone come to Madonna's defense ;-) , is there anyone who's been spared in this thread? Any actor or actress so universally admired/beloved that no one could find anything bad to say about them?

Did anyone mention Ronald Reagan?

Bonzo?

Faye Wray?

King Kong?

Sonny Bono? (I saw Cher mentioned, way at the very beginning.)

Mighty Joe Young?

Beverly Garland?

Can we all agree on exempting these? (Since it's April 1.)

I hope we can exempt Beverly Garland, for her outstanding performance in Curucu, Beast of the Amazon and so many other great films of that marvelous ilk; as well as her tv work, which includes Cookie LaRue on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Please leave her out of this!

The top of my irritant list includes the already mentioned Hepburn, Wayne, Sinatra, and Temple.

I see that many of my favorite actors and actresses irritate others... :P

Other major (personal) irritants I didn't see listed:

Doris Day

Liza Minnelli

John Travolting

Richard Benjamin

Any actress that lets out a sigh during dialogue with a actor. Dont believe I have ever seen a good actress use this "acting" technique. Very irritating.

-Nicholas Cage

-Tom Cruise

-Michael Douglas (I know....he's sick, but I just cant help it)

-Barbara Stanwyck (*Shivers*)

-Jennifer Lopez

-Cher

-Ben Affleck

-Cameron Diaz

-Drew Barrymore.

-Shia Labeauf (Or however you spell that kid's name)

-Megan Fox (Please......)

-Eddie Murphy (You're NOT an actor, buddy)

-Will Smith("I don't want to be an Icon.....I wanna be an Idea." Riiight. Okay, Will, these men in white coats are here to take you back to the hospital)