Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yoo Hoo Mrs Goldberg

sfpcc1

I just saw the documentary *Yoo Hoo Mrs Goldberg*. It was about the radio, TV, (and one movie) character Molly Goldberg and the woman who created her. My question is does anyone remember the Radio or TV show or seen the movie. It's not repeated add infenitum like I Love Lucy and I've never seen any of it. Maybe it's to dated or the kinescopes are missing.

The show you're talking about was from a time when ALL humor was ethnic, everybody got roughed-up equally, and everybody laughed!

Showing Jewish stereotypes in this dull, politically-correct age? Ain't gonna happen.

WITH ONE EXCEPTION: Arabs are allowed to be ridiculed and stereotyped. In fact, there was a book around a few years ago wherein the author looked at EVERY movie Hollywood ever made depicting Arabs...there was not ONE example of an Arab with a job and a family (which is the reality). They were ALL thieves, oil sheiks, harem whores, camel jockies...

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}

> I just saw the documentary *Yoo Hoo Mrs Goldberg*. It was about the radio, TV, (and one movie) character Molly Goldberg and the woman who created her. My question is does anyone remember the Radio or TV show or seen the movie.

That show, and also "I Remember Mama", were the first two TV shows I ever saw, sometime around 1949. In the early days, there used to be TV sets in bars, cafes, patios of drive-in restaurants, etc.

I remember one episode where Molly told the story about getting her grandsons a "Hanukkah Bush" in December since all their friends at school had special trees in their homes for the holidays in Brooklyn. It was years later before I understood what the story meant.

The TV show was mainly just folksy family talking and some minor humor. The movie was on TCM or AMC several years ago.

For those interested I just discovered the Jewish Television Network is running episodes of this series from the later years. The last time I saw some of these shows was on a local station when I lived in San Diego in the 1980s. Also, I have seen two episodes of the program on VEOH,COM. The prints on JTN look quite good considering they are from circa 1954. Incidently, the series used no laugh track.

One thing I remember about ":The Goldbergs" was Molly { Gertude Berg } talking out of her window to the camera or the neighbor.

I remember "Mama" starring Peggy Wood very well, based on the George Stevens classic "I Remember Mama"

> {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}

> Arabs are allowed to be ridiculed and stereotyped. In fact, there was a book around a few years ago wherein the author looked at EVERY movie Hollywood ever made depicting Arabs...there was not ONE example of an Arab with a job and a family (which is the reality).

What about those old TV sitcoms from the 1950s, like "Ali and Harriet", "Allah Knows Best", and "Leave it to Mastapha"?