Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Magnificent Seven

Calvera:

"If God didn't want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chico:

"Your gun has gotten you everything you have.Isn't it true?

Vin:

Sure.Everything. After a while you can call bartenders and faro dealers by their first names.Maybe 200 of them. Rented room you live in,500. Meals eaten in hash houses,a 1000. Home,none. Wife,none. Kids,none. Prospects, zero.. Suppose I left anything out?"

Chris:

Yeah. Places you're tied down to, none. People with a hold on you, none. Men you step aside for none"

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 25, 2011 4:53 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 25, 2011 4:56 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 25, 2011 4:57 PM

• 1 year later...

Britt - "Nobody throws me my own guns and says run. Nobody"

Vin - "We deal in lead, friend"

Harry- "A dollar bill always looks as big to me as a bedspread"

Lee - "One.There was a time when I would have caught all three"

O'Rielly - Naw, I'm just doing this because I'm an eccentric millionaire"

Chico - "Farmers. Their famlies told them we'd rape them"

Chris - "I've been offered a lot for my work, but never everything"

Calvera - "You came back. Why? For a place like this. A man like you? Why?"

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=Gorch wrote:}{quote}Does anyone have an opinion about which year this film was set in?

We might need to know where the American town the Mexicans come to is located. Texas was already a state after the Civil War but Arizona and New Mexico, which also border Mexico, came in much later and took longer to settle. From the comment made by Whit Bissell as the undertaker about the town "getting civilized" and that fancy herce I'd say about 1875-1880. James Coburn's Britt is also a Confederate veteran and looks about 35; Robert Wilke's calling him "Reb" in an insulting tone means it's not been all that long sinse the War's end. Thank you for the question, Gorch, I've lost count of how many times I've seen the movie but never thought of this before.

Star, I've been doing some research myself since I posted the question and I think the events in the movie were a bit later.

While they're riding the hearse, Chris and Vin discuss their whereabouts, Chris from Dodge and Vin from Tombstone. Chris asks if there's any action in Tombstone and Vin replies that things have all settled down a lot. Tombstone was formed as a city in 1881 and the gunfight near the O. K. Corral happened in October, 1981, but after that, the Earp and Clanton factions rode around sniping at each other for a awhile. So, to say things have settled down, I'd guess around 1885.

I know nothing about firearms, but I thought someone might be able to tell the year and make of some of the Seven's weaponry.

Also, are you sure Wallace calls Britt a reb? I don't recall that word being used.

> {quote:title=Gorch wrote: }{quote}Also, are you sure Wallace calls Britt a reb? I don't recall that word being used.

Not any more I'm not. When Britt is stretched out against the fence Wallace comes up to him I've always thought he called him "Reb". I listened to this a number of times on my home theater and agree he called him "Britt". So one theory of mine goes up in smoke.

Your post makes sense and I defer to it. Also there's a feeling that Chris and Vin feel their time is running out. Whether this is because of the danger of their profession or the job itself becomming passe in a "civilized" world I'm not certain of but they seem to be part of a fading "Wild West" If I'm right this time that fits in with your premise.

• 1 month later...

My favorite line in the film is not spoken -- it is right after the opening scene and Vin asked Chris: Where you come from? Chris just points behind himself with his thumb. Vin asks next, "Where you headed?" Chris just points ahead.I also like Vin's line: "I've been in some towns were the girls weren't pretty at all. In fact, I've been in town where the girsl were downright UGLY! But a town with no girls at all???"Lots of great dialogue in this terrific film!

Edited by: prc1966 on Apr 29, 2013 4:28 PM

• 1 month later...

Managed to see the blu ray of Mag 7 on a 1080i, 60 inch screen yesterday and was blown away at the details that I had never seen before. The colors, clarity and depth were amazing and it looked like it had been filmed yesterday - not in 1960. The restoration must have a frame at a time.

The TCM HD channel version looks pretty good, but this is beyond description.

Please see it like this if you ever have an opportunity.

• 1 month later...

Even though I have this film on Blu-ray, I watched it onTCM tonight. I'm a huge Mcqueen fan so this is part of my collection. I love the movie and I never tire of it! Great actors, Great score and the Great John Sturges! They don't make them like this anymore!

This is also one of my all time favorite films but I didn't catch Bill Hader's beginning introduction. Did he reveal any insights into it?

As many times as I've seen this movie, I always notice some new detail. One time I counted the onscreen deaths of the banditos and it amounted to over 50 plus there were several off screen deaths and some of them escaped. Much larger than the original 40 mentioned.

Gorch-Hi! Nice to meet you! Hader talked about how McQueen had only a few lines but manage to steal scenes with his bits of action. Also, when the movie ended he mentioned when he was in some restaurant in CA, that some man got up to play the piano. It was Elmer Bernstein, and he played the theme from the Mag 7!

Pleased to meet you, CB7. Thanks for the info.

I'm now in my '60s and saw Mag 7 when it first came out in 1960. Had already been a McQueen fan from Wanted: Dead or Alive - my younger brother and I had the toy Mare's Leg gun that shot white plastic bullets. We had wars that created a plastic bullet-ridden carpet in the living room that our parents had trouble navigating.

In 1972 I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio and saw in the paper that McQueen was filming "The Getaway" there. A friend and I went to view the filming at the train station and saw Steve sitting shirtless on a lawn chair facing the sun with a cooler in front of him. We were dressed in civies but were obviously in the army and Steve waived the loose security to let us come over.

He asked our names and where we were from. I'm from upstate New York and he said you must know Genesee beer. My friend was from PA and Steve said Iron City beer - both obscure local breweries. This was about 11:00 am and the cooler he had was full of iced bottled beer.

We told him how much we enjoyed Mag 7, Great Escape and everything. He nodded, told us good luck and sort of dismissed us. We left thrilled, but a little **** that he hadn't offered us beers from his stash.

Much later, I read about his aloofness and attributed this friendly gesture as a result of his new relationship with Ali McGraw.

Thanks again for the background.

Gorch, Great story! Did you get his autograph? I have his autograph but I never met him. I met his whole family a few years back in NYC. They were showing Steve Mcqueen films at Lincoln Center. I got to meet Chad and his wife and kids, Terri's daughter and Neile Mcqueen! All signed my Life Magazine cover of Steve nad Neile. Steve had a rough life as a kid that's why I think he acted strange sometimes. But he was very generous to kids and a good person.

As a matter of fact, I did much later buy Steve's autograph on ebay. I did a lot of research to make sure it was the real deal.

Eventually, I got autographs of all the Mag 7 and Eli Wallach. The last one was from Robert Vaughn. When Vaughn was publishing his autobiography, a mutual friend (Lee Pfeiffer from Cinema Retro) advised that Vaughn was looking for photos. Lee knew I had lots of memorabilia from Mag 7 and asked me to send some for Vaughn to consider. As a result Vaughn signed one thanking me.

Cinema Retro is planning a special edition about Mag 7 next year and a lot of my photos will be included.

Never met Steve's family. That must have been a rush.

CB7, sounds like you're as big a fan of McQueen as I am. If you haven't already found it, my friend Mike Siegel and his partner Andrew Antoniades, put out a coffee table book called "Steve McQueen: the Actor and his Films" in 2011. It's the best bio about Steve and the most image laden of them all.

I donated a bunch of stills and received a small credit for that in the book. It's fairly expensive but it is worth it. By the way, I don't get any remuneration from it.

Without being traitorous to TCM, try checking out the John Wayne Message Board and view their classic western topic and check The Magnificent Seven. I posted some very rare photos that may interest you.

Take care.

• 1 month later...

Gorch, Yes, I heard of book and plan on getting it. I have many McQueen books and I was trying to build up my Cagney collection so I didn't get around to getting that book. Gorch, do you visit mcqueenonline.com? I am a regular there. By the way, another Mcqueen book is coming out according to that site.

• 1 month later...

CB7 - I've visited mcqueenonline many times but never registered as a member. There's really nothing new I could contribute. Years ago I corresponded with Donna R. who was one of the early contributors, but that's about it. Of course, Mike entered a post there about his book when it came out.

• 1 month later...

sounds like you're as big a fan of McQueen as I am. If you haven't already found it, my friend Mike Siegel and his partner Andrew Antoniades, put out a coffee table book called "Steve McQueen: the Actor and his Films" in 2011. It's the best bio about Steve and the most image laden of them all.

Cheap Bed Covers

Cheap Sheets UK

Edited by: PaulTManuel on Nov 25, 2013 4:14 AM