Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"All About Eve"

bdprovalone

The dialog in this movies is great. In fact I cannot think of a movie with better dialog. So intelligent. There are some key scenes or sets that stand out. First there is the one in Margo's (Davis) dressing room at the start. Watch the reaction of all the actors when they are NOT speaking.

Then there is a famous party scene. Monroe as a bit part. This is one of the best movies from the classic era. George Sanders really stands out but all the players do.

They don't make them like this anymore (and they didn't make many like this during the classic period!).

You'll be hard pressed to find a better written film, at least from the non-visual standpoint. I could split hairs and say it's all talk. But so is MALTESE FALCON. So is DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Like those superb crime thrillers, ALL ABOUT EVE is one of the great ones. What a cast! Davis' best performance? Celeste Holm. And the great George Sanders! Was there a better actor in Hollywood?

I saw this for the first time last year, and I loved it. Bette Davis' character often acts horribly, but I can't help liking her. That says something about the humanity she shows underneath her bitter comments about Eve. Also, if anyone is interested in foreign films, Almodovar made a film partially based on the plot of this movie title 'Todo sobre mi Madre' (All About my Mother). Apparently All about Eve is one of his favorite films, and he was inspired by it to make his film. It's very good, though much more tragic.

Favorite line: "She looks like she could burn down a plantation"

• 1 month later...

Such an amazing film watched it last night for the millionth time. :) Cant get enough of Bette Davies' strong character in that but seriously hate the Eve character but think Anne Baxter is a really good actress.

"Fasten your seatbelts it's gonna be a bumpy night!" ----love it!

This is indeed one of the best movies of all time in my view and after a few so-so movies Davis showed that she still had IT.

As for the Eve character; well I hope you don't like her. If you did you would be in the same category as the George Sander's character and I'm sure that isn't the case. As he tells Eve they are a good match for each other, but thankfully not many other people.

I just saw both films, back-to-back- Obviously "Letter" is more cinematic and has more going on--but the material, the performances and the history behind "Eve" just drives most cinephiles crazy.

You could watch this film just to see the Edith Head Costumes. There's so much to get ahold of.

And don't even start with what the Marilyn groupies must see in this film.

For me, It's a must because my 2 favorite character actors: Thelma Ritter and George Sanders are outstanding, I believe Sanders got the Supporting Oscar for this movie.

But I think most fans of "Eve" are in love with the brilliant Mankiewicz dialogue. It's his very best, next to "Barefoot Contessa".

As as big fan of Eve, it is that brilliant Mankiewicz dialogue that is the main reason I love this movie. While Davis is my favorite actress, Sanders and Ritter also my top character actors (he did wini) the dialogue is so good in this movie that even with other actors I believe I would enjoy the picture.

Barefoot Contessa is interesting because of how flashbacks are used to tell the story from diffierent people and the repeat a scene from two subjective points of view.

THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA? Did I read that correctly?.............The Edith Head costumes were obviously not a big factor for me, in comparing the two films. One reason I liked THREE WIVES better is that the Margo Channing character sort of grated on me, just as did the Norma Desmond character the same year.......Paul Douglas was terrific, in his film debut..

All About Eve isn't a Bette Davis movie but a Joseph Mankiewicz movie since he wrote the screen play and was the director.

It would appear you haven't seen many Davis movies. While some of her famous roles are of hard women many are not; Kid Galahad, It's Love I"m After, The Sisters, Juarez, The Old Maid, All This and Heaven Too, The Great Lie, Now Voyager, Watch On The Rhine, Old Acquaintance, The Corn is Green, Deception, as well as many of her early 30s roles.