• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Noah's Ark" (1929) Late Sunday PM and Early Monday AM 3/27-28

FredCDobbs

12:15 AM EASTERN TIME MARCH 28

Air times in other time zones will be earlier and will be at night on March 27

Noah's Ark (1929)

An American playboy's discovery of honor and courage during World War I parallels the biblical story of the flood.

Contains two stories, one a modern story and the other the Biblical story.

A good classic old silent with some sound segments. Good special effects.

Dolores Costello, Noah Beery, George O'Brien. : Michael Curtiz.

100 min, TV-G

Fred's 5 Star rating for silent film buffs.

This is a BIG ONE! It was for its time, the most expensive production in Hollywood. The film was re-released in 1957. However, at least 75 minutes of footage was cut with only the silent segments featuring the story of the Ark and the great flood. The sound or talking portions involving the modern story were cut and a narration was utilized. The original (full length) 135 minute version is today believed to be lost. The film has only been partially restored at 100 minutes of footage. This is indeed a rare treat for any film buff!

> {quote:title=MovieProfessor wrote:}{quote}

> This is a BIG ONE! It was for its time, the most expensive production in Hollywood. The film was re-released in 1957. However, at least 75 minutes of footage was cut with only the silent segments featuring the story of the Ark and the great flood. The sound or talking portions involving the modern story were cut and a narration was utilized. The original (full length) 135 minute version is today believed to be lost. The film has only been partially restored at 100 minutes of footage. This is indeed a rare treat for any film buff!

Thanks for the information.

I saw the re-release in 1957 or '58, when I was in high school. An independent theater advertised it and showed it in a small city where I lived in Mississippi. This is one of the few silent films available to theater audiences back in the 1950s, although we were able to see some silent films on TV from the Killiam collection, on a syndicated weekly television program.

This movie hasn't been shown on TCM since at least 2004, and maybe 2003. Anyway it has been a good number of years. Though it was released by Warner Archive on DVD-R just a few weeks ago. Something that I never expected to happen at this time.

The magnificent sets are highly derivative of Michael Curtiz earlier 1924 Epic, *MOON OF ISRAEL,* chronicling the story of Moses. Like that production, *NOAH'S ARK* was originally planned to be set all in Biblical times, with no Modern Parallel to the Great War. But the film was in an out of production for so long, that changed. The tacked on long after the fact goat-gland dialogue sequences, sadly spoil what could have been one of the great Silent Masterworks in my opinion.

I personally believe that the highly paid Broadway based voice coach's deliberately attempted to derail many a successful movie actors career by making them look ridiculous. Dolores Costello's voice has obviously been sabotaged and exploited, because in reality she sounded nothing like that.

Nevertheless, I am really pleased that Chuck Tabesh was able to finally get this picture back on the schedule. The Flood sequences are truly astonishing. Can't wait to read peoples comments later on.

Blast, not able to post any Lobby-Cards here yet!

*LATE TONIGHT*

9:15 PM Pacific Time, March 28

10:15 PM Mountain Time, March 28

11:15 PM Central Time, March 28

12:15 AM Eastern Time, March 29

*Noah's Ark (1929)*

An American playboy's discovery of honor and courage during World War I parallels the biblical story of the flood.

Contains two stories, one a modern story and the other the Biblical story.

A good classic old silent with some sound segments. Good special effects.

Dolores Costello, Noah Beery, George O'Brien. : Michael Curtiz.

100 min, TV-G

There was a modern day sequence tacked on to the original TEN COMMANDMENTS which I find very interesting and moving in itself. Like the way they redone the original story of Moses part they should remake and update the modern story portion. My idea is to have it done with an all black cast in todays world. The story concerns two brothers, one good and one bad and their mother who suffers their differences. The mother a very religous woman is killed in a church that was built by her bad son, a corrupt architect. Throw in modern rap and gospel music you'd have a terrific picture.

> "Noah's Ark", coming up next! Yay!

I got Fred! I recorded it last night to my DVD! Great Looking Copy! Shall now add it to my silent film collection. Can't thank TCM enough for having the foresight to airing a rare and beautiful film! They just don't come around like these very often.