Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear Heart Glen Ford and Geraldine Fitzgerald

annelovestcm

I watched this movie today and am really shocked at the scene where Glenn Ford's character just has a "nooner" with Barbara Nichols' character

it just didn't seem to fit in with the movie

and he was getting married to a woman whose kid was about 5 years older than what he had thought?

weird movie

it was fun to see both the actresses who played Alice Kravitz in Bewitched

> {quote:title=annelovestcm wrote:}{quote}

> it was fun to see both the actresses who played Alice Kravitz in Bewitched

Alice Pearce was my favorite Gladys Kravitz. She had a way of twisting her mouth that was funny all by itself, before she even said anything. She had excellent facial expressions that could be very comic, reminding me a little of Carol Burnett.

Almost all the original actors on Bewitched were my favorites--Alice Pearce, Dick York, Robert F. Simon. Dick York could get these wild-eyed looks that Dick Sargent could never top. The only replacement actor I actually liked better than the original was Kasey Rogers.

Alice Pearce did alot of work on Broadway. She was in the original production of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the great show that was butchered by Hollywood to make the 1953 film.

I'd file this one under the hesitation movie. The characters seem to take three

times as long to do things as they should. Order the damn lunch, take care of the

darn suitcases, don't hem and haw for ten minutes. Geez. There are some good

moments, but there's also a lot of empty space. And as charming as a nosy, eccentric

postmaster may be, a little goes a long way. I didn't see how Ford would get out

of his marriage plans with so little time left on the clock, but he did. Even for

Hollywood, that was quite a stretch.

Geraldine Fitzgerald was just a few years older than Ford, so I'm sure the people

in makeup could have handled that.

I failed to see anything of comedic material in this movie. It was hard to get past Glenn's greasy hair (and was he really considered a leading man?), and I've never seen Geraldine in a "comedic" role. She was a wonderful actress and could be so sultry, so scary, and make you completely forget she was there, as she became her character (Summer and Smoke). Comedy must have changed a great deal. . And I agree, why the quiicky with the brassy blonde? And Angela was also showing her age, as were Glenn and Geraldine. What a waste of time.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> Alice Pearce did alot of work on Broadway. She was in the original production of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the great show that was butchered by Hollywood to make the 1953 film.

A lot of film versions do not live up to the Broadway originals. The film adaptation of Jerry Herman's Broadway musical Mame with Lucille Ball cannot hold a candle to the original Broadway version with Angela Lansbury, although at least the film has originals Bea Arthur and Jane Connell (who, in keeping with the Bewitched theme we have going here, played a number of interesting characters on Bewitched, including Martha Washington, Queen Victoria, Mother Goose, and Witch Queen Hepzibah).

I also would have preferred Broadway original Ethel Merman in the film version of Gypsy, despite liking Rosalind Russell a lot (who was in an earlier version of Mame called Auntie Mame).

Robbie

> {quote:title=moviesrgr8 wrote:}{quote}

> Geraldine Page was the leading lady in this film, not Geraldine Fitzgerald. Miss Fitzgerald would have been a bit long in the tooth by 1964 to play against Glenn Ford.

Not being too familiar with either, except knowing they both have done some great work, I keep getting these two actresses mixed up myself.

Robbie

Archived