Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Farley Granger has died

lzcutter

The posters here at TCM City are usually quite good at posting the deaths of classic studio era stars.

Word is circulating around the web that actor Farley Granger, perhaps best known for his role in *Strangers on a Train* passed away over the weekend.

Update, looks to be true:

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting his obit:

"The actor played a likable tennis pro thrust into a murder exchange in Alfred Hitchcock's 1951 movie and documented affairs with Shelley Winters (pictured), Ava Gardner, Leaonard Bernstein and others in his 2007 memoir, "Include Me Out."

Farley Granger, who played the likable tennis pro who was thrust into a murder exchange in Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train in 1951, died Sunday of natural causes in New York. He was 85."

For more:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/strangers-a-train-star-farley-171994

Edited by: lzcutter because it looks to be true

Edited by: lzcutter for an update

Farley Granger was in my area a few years ago for a book signing. I couldn't get off of work to go, would have been neat to meet him. *Side Street* is a very good noir, not as well known, hope it gets shown as part of a tribute day.

> {quote:title=MissMichon wrote:}{quote}

> aww, I HATE that he died. I really wish we could keep all our classic actors and actresses here with us. :(

> I only saw him in Rope, and loved him in it. I hope I can see him in other things as well someday. I'll watch Rope in his honor tonight.

I've never seen ROPE, but think I should. I did see him in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, and SIDE STREET and thought he was great in all three.

RIP Farley Granger

I just watched "Strangers on a Train" last night. Farley was in my head the entire evening. Then I awoke to the news. It's terribly sad. I was going to send a picture in for him to sign, but I guess it's too late. Rest in peace, Farley.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Farley Granger was in my area a few years ago for a book signing. I couldn't get off of work to go, would have been neat to meet him. *Side Street* is a very good noir, not as well known, hope it gets shown as part of a tribute day.

Side street will be shown on May 19 @ 6:30pm. JR.

I've been thinking of him a lot lately since I just saw him on TCM last week in They Live by Night and two weeks ago in Strangers on a Train. Plus, I think I saw him in one other movie last week--can't remember if it was on FMC or THIS. And I saw Stewart Granger in Sodom and Gomorrah last week on FMC and was wondering if he was related to Farley Granger--it appears he wasn't, from what research I've been able to do, but it did keep me thinking about Farley Granger.

Robbie

I keep thinking of Farley in that TCM short interview where he was talking about working with director Alfred Hitchcock. Farley flubbed something up on the set and was embarrassed about it, he then said that Hitch came over to comfort him and said, "It's only a mooovvvieee."

Farley said it with a Hitchcockian drawl, then he laughed, and I laughed too!

He's one of those guys that I always liked in film, and seeing him in a few interviews made me think that he was a pretty decent guy all around.

I just googled him and realized that I've seen most of his early movies from "The North Star" (1943) - "The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing" (1955), but I had no idea that Farley was active in film up until 2001. I realize that most of those later appearances were probably small support roles or cameos for him, but still I'm going to have to keep an eye out now to see some of those films, when i can.

Regarding Stewart Granger, you are right they were not related, in fact his real name was James Stewart (also no relation) but since hollywood already had one Jimmy Stewart they changed his name to Stewart Granger, and the rest, as they say, is movie history.

I used to get confused about Robert and Elizabeth Taylor as well. And for awhile I had this idea that Katherine Ross was the daughter of Katherine Hepburn, but I can't remember where that thought came from.

In his book he said they were. They were going to get married at one point. But they called it off at the last minute (cant remember why now) They had a fight about something. I remember Shelley writing about him in her memoirs too......Just as well! They stayed friends.....He talked about Laurents in his book too......

RIP, Farley, you did good. He aged so well, great sense of humor. I enjoyed seeing him in the little piece they did on Alfred Hitchcock. If anyone noticed all the movies that have been mentioned he was in, have been shown on TCM, so why couldn't they do a tribute? I hope they do...