Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crime Doctor

realdemp

I am adicted to TCM. It is rare that TCM plays something that I am not willing to watch over and over again. It is also very rare when TCM plays something that I have not watched over and over again. Today, I just finished watching a Crime Doctor series; something I never knew existed. You have made my week. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Keep up the good work.

TCM has been rocking the house!

The Crime Doctor series became one of my very favorite when they first introduced this (along with other Columbia series films such a The Whistler, The Lone Wolf, and Boston ****) a few years ago, thanks to their Columbia/Sony lease.

But this one is my favorite of them all from Columbia, and it might be my favorite of all such mystery series of films. Warner Baxter is simply fantastic, the mood and atmosphere is incredible, and every story draws me right in and keeps me glued to the screen! These are B flicks, but some of the very best!

I agree, thank you, TCM!!

It is rare that TCM plays something that I am willing to watch over and over again. It is also very rare when TCM plays something that I would see fit to watch over and over again.

This is one of many good reasons for me to build my own TV-recorded archive (this is not a violation of the copyright law as long as the copy is not distributed or used within the "fair use" provisions of the law) of TCM movies so that, once and for all, I can avoid repetitively watching those movies which I have already seen, but may not remember this for sure. Of course, I will remember having seen North by Northwest, for example, without the need for searching my archive :-).

musikone

doing constant battle with that hearty TCM virus "Repetitis Persistens"

For those who recorded the first of the "Crime Doctor" movies, was that Broderick Crawford or Paul Douglas playing one of the prisoners? The IMDb credits don't list either Crawford or Douglas in the credits.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> TCM has been rocking the house!

>

> The Crime Doctor series became one of my very favorite when they first introduced this (along with other Columbia series films such a The Whistler, The Lone Wolf, and Boston ****) a few years ago, thanks to their Columbia/Sony lease.

>

> But this one is my favorite of them all from Columbia, and it might be my favorite of all such mystery series of films. Warner Baxter is simply fantastic, the mood and atmosphere is incredible, and every story draws me right in and keeps me glued to the screen! These are B flicks, but some of the very best!

>

> I agree, thank you, TCM!!

Love me some CRIME DOCTOR. Now when will we see the three without "Crime Doctor" in the title...especially SHADOWS IN THE NIGHT, featuring George Zucco?

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> For those who recorded the first of the "Crime Doctor" movies, was that Broderick Crawford or Paul Douglas playing one of the prisoners? The IMDb credits don't list either Crawford or Douglas in the credits.

I think that Paul Douglas was too big a name from his radio work, if this was a smaller role. Was it a speaking role???

Seeing that the first Crime Doctor was made in 1943, I don't think it would be Broderick Crawford, since he joined the military in 1942...I have seen him in films before then, but he had a fairly big role in Larceny Inc, in 1942....

CRIME DOCTOR'S DIARY was the last in the series, released in 1949, two years after the previous entry, and 2 years prior to the sad passing of the great star, Warner Baxter. I watched this one last night, it's a very good entry and one with an interesting twist. Some great players as well, such as Robert Armstrong as a gangster with heart, and the lovely dame Adele Jergens, as well as Lois Maxwell who many recognize from her famous role in James Bond films. Also Whit Bissell who sings in the film!!! For real? For real! You can sort of tell that Warner Baxter is not feeling all that well, but I feel he gives a stellar performance nevertheless. This is one of the better entries in the series, IMO!

CRIME DOCTOR'S STRANGEST CASE was the second in the series and I caught this one as well. I am not sure I thought it was the strangest case, but it was a very good one, featuring a young Lloyd Bridges.

This is a GREAT series! I hope that it may make a DVD set release someday soon!

Mark, I'm with you on high-hopes for a DVD Series Release We did get the fun TORCHY BLANES as a boxset a year or so ago... but THE LONE WOLF is still my #1 choice and CRIME DOCTOR is slated #2. Or maybe THE SAINT or FALCON?

I see the Brits have released four of those (Saint/Falcon? - I completely forget now - it's George Sanders, anyway) on DVD. Apparently they can, but North America is restricted from George.