Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where to see B/W films in a theater

LadyJane31

I am looking for a place that shows b/w films in southern california.

Obviously we all have the same passions...where is a place for us to go and watch these films on a large screen, other then at the film festival. I am sorry but I dont have the $300 it takes to buy a pass :(

Oh bless you!!!! i have done searches after searches and couldnt find anything other than "the silent movie theatre" off of fairfax and they only play silent films on wednesdays....i work so i can't make it...

thank you for taking the time to share that info!!!!

If you get to NYC...do yourself a favor and hop on the Path train to Jersey City (about 10 mins from the west village)

Go to the astonishing Loew's Jersey. A REAL movie palace...as gargantuan as anything you've ever seen. Truly a magical place to see B&W movies.

Check their schedule...they only run films like once or twice a month (they are a non-profit). Not always B&W. But last month they did a small pre-Code festival, and they have shown THE THIN MAN, GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933, and other greats.

http://www.loewsjersey.org/

(The Egyptian is def the best place in LA to see them...though the auditorium is sadly stripped of most of its ornamentation, and is now pretty much a big ugly box with a scarab on the ceiling.)

The City of Angels can be a bounty of classic film screenings.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences hosts screenings almost every month. You can sign up for email alerts at their website.

www.oscars.org

The Los Angeles Conservancy is hosting "Last Remaining Seats" which is an annual Summer series that brings classic films to the downtown movie palaces.

www.laconservancy.org

The Hollywood Forever cemetery hosts an annual summer outdoor summer series of classic films that they project on Valentino or Fairbanks' crypt.

Hollywood Heritage hosts programs at the DeMille Barn on Highland and a summer series called "Silents Under the Stars" at the old Paramount Ranch in Agoura.

www.hollywoodheritage.org

The Egyptian and the Silent Movie Theater probably have the most eclectic programming.

LACMA has matinees and evening screenings.

UCLA has monthly screenings and in the summer their annual Preservation celebration.

Quentin Tarrantino bought the New Beverly awhile back. He gives the family that ran the theater for many, many years plenty of room for them to continue the programming the theater is renowned around Los Angeles for.

Hope that helps!

Edited by: lzcutter on Mar 30, 2011 9:11 PM