Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MOVIE QUOTES

bansi4

The American Film Institute is at it again. They are preparing a list of the Top 100 Movie Quotes of all time to air on CBS in June of 2005.

Of course some memorable quotes that will make the list are:

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

"May the Force be with you"

"Here's looking at you, kid"

"You ain't heard nothin' yet"

OK...lets see how many famous one liners we all can list that perhaps will match the AFI choices. It should be fun.

Mongo

Great find Mongo! This promises to be a lot of fun. Here is some more info from AFI's website:

This year, the jury will be asked to choose up to 100 movie quotes from a comprehensive list, including entries such as "Here's lookin' at you, kid" (CASABLANCA), "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" (GONE WITH THE WIND), "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" (SHE DONE HIM WRONG), "May the Force be with you" (STAR WARS), "Houston, we have a problem" (APOLLO 13), "Snap out of it!" (MOONSTRUCK), "You can't handle the truth!" (A FEW GOOD MEN), "I'll be back" (THE TERMINATOR) and "Show me the money!" (JERRY MAGUIRE).

Due to the extensive number of memorable movie lines in American film, jurors may also write in votes for up to five quotes that may not already appear on the ballot.

The jurors have been asked to consider the following criteria in making their selections:

MOVIE QUOTE

A statement, phrase or brief exchange of dialogue spoken in an American film.* (Lyrics from songs are not eligible.)

CULTURAL IMPACT

Movie Quotes that viewers use in their own lives and situations; circulating through popular culture, they become part of the national lexicon.

LEGACY

Movie Quotes that viewers use to evoke the memory of a treasured film, thus ensuring and enlivening its historical legacy.

AND

Chronologically, the ballot spans from 1927-with the first full-length sound film, THE JAZZ SINGER: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!"-to 2002 and "My precious" from THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.

CASABLANCA has seven quotes in AFI's ballot, making it the most represented film.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is the second most represented film with six quotes.

Humphrey Bogart has 10 quotes on the ballot, the most represented male actor. Al Pacino and the Marx Brothers follow with six quotes each and Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, James Stewart and Jack Nicholson are all represented with five quotes each. Funnymen Woody Allen, Peter Sellers and Mike Myers each have four quotes represented.

Bette Davis, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland and Vivien Leigh each have four memorable movie quotes on the ballot.

Billy Wilder is the top represented writer with 13 quotes, some co-written with I.A.L. Diamond, Charles Brackett and Raymond Chandler. Frances Ford Coppola has nine quotes represented, with seven coming from THE GODFATHER Trilogy. Mario Puzo, Coppola's collaborator on THE GODFATHER trilogy, has a total of eight quotes. Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch each have seven quotes (all from CASABLANCA), followed by Woody Allen with six and Cameron Crowe, William Goldman and Stanley Kubrick with five quotes each.

1939 is the most represented year with 19 movie quotes. 1942 has 17 quotes and 1980 has 12.

You can download the list of 400 nominees at http://www.afi.com/Docs/tvevents/pdf/quotes400.pdf

Here are 50 out of the 400 which I think should be in AFI's top 100. Initially, I had over 90, but almost half were post-The Godfather ... so I used 1972 as the cutoff date to make my post easier to read;- )

All About Eve - ?Fasten your seatbelts. It?s going to be a bumpy night?

Arsenic and Old Lace - ?Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops.?

Casablanca - ?Play it, Sam. Play ?As Time Goes By.?

Casablanca - ?... the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans ...?

Casablanca - ?here?s looking at you, kid?

Casablanca - ?Round up the usual suspects?

Citizen Kane - ?Rosebud?

Cool Hand Luke - ?what we have here is a failure to communicate?

Dinner at Eight exchange between Marie Dressler and Jean Harlow about reading a book

Dirty Harry - ?You've got to ask yourself ... ?Do I feel lucky?? Well, do ya, punk??

?Bond, James Bond?

Frankenstein - ?It?s alive?

Godfather - ?I?m going to make him an offer he can?t refuse?

GWTW - ?I don?t know nothin? ?bout birthin? no babies?

GWTW - ?As God is my witness, I?ll never go hungry again?

GWTW - ?tomorrow is another day?

GWTW - ?Frankly Scarlett ...?

Grand Hotel - ?I want to be alone?

I?m No Angel - ?Well, it's not the men in your life that counts, it's the life in your men.?

In the Heat of the Night - ?They call me Mr. Tibbs?

It?s A Wonderful Life - ?To my big brother George, the richest man in town!?

King Kong - ?It was Beauty that killed the Beast?

Knute Rockne - ?Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper.?

Maltese Falcon - ?The stuff that dreams are made of.?

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - ?When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.?

Mildred Pierce - ?... alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.?

Mister Roberts - ?... I just threw your stinking palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crud about no movie tonight??

On the Waterfront - ?I could?ve been a contender?

Patton - ?... no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country ...?

She Done Him Wrong - ?Why don?t you come up and see me sometime?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - ?Who is the fairest one of all??

Some Like It Hot - ?Well, nobody?s perfect?

Sons of the Desert - ?here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!?

Spartacus - ?I?m Spartacus. I?m Spartacus?

A Star is Born - ?Hello everybody. This is Mrs. Norman Maine?

A Streetcar Named Desire - ?Stella?

Sunset Boulevard - ?I am big. It?s the pictures that got small?

Sunset Boulevard - ?All right, Mr. DeMille, I?m ready for my closeup?

Tarzan - ?Jane. Tarzan. Jane. Tarzan?

The Third Man - ?In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, and they had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.?

To Catch a Thief - ?Do you want a leg or a breast?

To Have and Have Not - ?You know how to whistle ... just put your lips together and blow.?

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - ?Badges? We ain't got no badges! ...?

White Heat - ?Top of the World?

The Wizard of Oz - ?I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.?

The Wizard of Oz - ?and your little dog, too?

The Wizard of Oz - ?lions and tigers and bears, oh my!?

The Wizard of Oz - ?pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?

The Wizard of Oz - ?there?s no place like home?

The Women - ?There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society -- outside of a kennel.?

Some of my favorites from the Three Stooges shorts...

Scotsman: Are you laddies by any chance from Loch Lomond?

Curly: No, we're from Lock Jaw, nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk.

(from "Pardon My Scotch")

Larry: Hot dog! When it comes to cookin' I'm the cat's meow!

(from "Malice in the Palace")

Society lady: I hear you've travelled a lot. Are you familiar with the Great Wall of China?

Curly: No, but I know a big fence in Chicago.

(from "In the Sweet Pie and Pie")

Lady: Wouldn't you gentlemen like to sit over there, it's much more comfortable.

Larry: Ain't she hospital.

Moe: That's where I'll put you if you don't be quiet, come on.

(from "Sweet Pie and Pie")

Hotel man: This bed goes back to Henry VIII.

Curly: That's nothin, we had a bed that went back to Sears-Roebuck the third. Hmmm.

(from "Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb")

Larry: Wanted - grave diggers, good salary, apply...

Moe: No, no; too too morbid.

Curly: The morbid the merrier, nyuk nyuk

(from "If A Body Meets A Body")

• 3 months later...

A favorite of mine:

from Auntie Mame

"There's an awful lot of fal de ral here about the Knickerbocker Bank and some Mr. Babcock who's been appointed your trustee, and.....oh, I get it, I have the responsibility and your trustee has the authority."

• 2 months later...

Here are some of my favorites:

You're gonna need a bigger boat.-Jaws

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is The War Room!-Dr. Strangelove

Mmmm, Juicy Fruit.-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.-2001:A Space Odyssey

Ho ho ho, well if it isn't fat stinking billy goat, Billy Boy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles. If ya have any yarbles, ya eunich jelly thou.-A Clockwork Orange

cutters333

The AFI ain't done a quote count down yet??? Well I site more like to watch that than the countdowns on E! and VHI. A quote that comes to mind, well it is not really a quote, a name-Ramone. Biscuits! this is what happens when you get on the computer late at night when you should be in bed! The Grant and Curtis movie with the pink sub that movie and the character Ramone or Curtis saying Oh, Ramone and you know no good is coming up well it is good for the ship and bad for everyone else. This movie also has one of the funniest visual scenes where the native man is blessing the sub I roll everytime I see it. Man, how embarassing not to remember the title!

I love the prayer Jimmy Stewart gives at the beginning of Shenandoah well almost he gives praise for their food although they grew it themselves and picked it and plowed it but he gives grudging praise to the Lord. I get tickled when I hear it and Stewart delivers it with such a way you'd think the Lord wouldn't dare argue with him.

Stellaaaaaa!!!! - Marlon Brando from Sreetcar Named Desire.

"I could've had class, I could've been a contender, I could've been somebody instead of a bum which is what I am, let's face it....it was you charlie" - Marlon Brando - On the Waterfront.

Checked the AFI list but didn't find these, can't believe they weren't included:

"I was a cello player in a marching band" Woody Allen (I think) from 'Take the Money and Run'

"We're walking, we're walking, we're stopping" Bonnie Hunt from 'Dave'

"My father drank beer...in the morning...after that he drank anything" Deborah Kerr from 'An Affair to Remember'

"Is Nick working on a case?" (actor unknown to me)

"Yes... a case of scotch...help him out." Myrna Loy from 'The Thin Man'?

"What can I say? You *****d up...you trusted me!" Tim Mathison (Eric Stratton) from 'Animal House'

and also "Eric Stratton, damned glad to meet you."

I think these are accurate but welcome any corrections.

Dianne