Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MOVIE QUOTES

Claudette Colbert in the Palm Beach Story....

"Anyway, men don't get smarter as they get older. They just lose their hair."

"You have no idea what a long-legged woman can do without doing anything."

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here goes the opinionated new person again...

Loved all the previous lines and wanted to add a few more:

**From "The African Queen"

Rose: "Nature, Mr Alnut, is what we were put on this earth to rise above."

the german captain: "...I now pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution."

**From Dracula (1931 version)

Dracula:"I never drink...wine."

**From "All About Eve"

Margot: "Bill's 32. He looks 32. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men."

Bridie: "What a story. Everything but the bloodhound's snappin' at her rear end."

Bill Sampson:"Many of your guests have been wondering when they may be permitted to view the body. Where has it been laid out?"

Margo Channing:"It hasn't been laid out, we haven't finished with the embalming. As a matter of fact, you're looking at it - the remains of Margo Channing, sitting up. It is my last wish to be buried sitting up."

Lloyd Richards:"You've developed a certain cynicism since you've been married to me."

Karen Richards: "I developed that cynicism the day I discovered I was different from little boys!"

**From "Stage Door"

Jean Maitland:"Do you mind if I ask a personal question?"

Terry Randall:"Another one?"

Jean Maitland: "Are these trunks full of bodies?"

Terry Randall:"Just those, but I don't intend to unpack them."

Jean Maitland: (about another girl) "Hold on. Gangrene just set in."

**From "The Lion in Winter" (one of my all time favorite movies, I'll have to restrain myself...;0))

Eleanor:"How dear of you to let me out of prison."

Henry II: "It's only for the holidays."

Prince John: "Poor John. Who says poor John? Don't everybody sob at once! My God, if I went up in flames there's not a living soul who'd pee on me to put the fire out! "

Prince Richard: "Let's strike a flint and see."

Eleanor: "I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy. I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops...were dazzled."

Henry II: "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once. "

Eleanor: "What would you have me do? Give out? Give up? Give in?"

Henry II:"Give me a little peace."

Eleanor:"A little? Why so modest? How about eternal peace? Now there's a thought."

Eleanor: "Henry's bed is Henry's province, he can people it with sheep for all I care... which on occasion he has done."

Eleanor: "Henry came down from the north with a mind like Aristotle's and a form like mortal sin. We shattered the commandments on the spot."

Henry II: "...it's heavy...Eleanor! You've brought me my tombstone! You spoil me."

Eleanor: "I never could deny you anything."

OK, OK, just one more, I promose...

Eleanor "Good good Louis. If I'd managed boys for him instead of all those little girls, I'd still be stuck with being Queen of France and you and I would not have met. That my angels, is the role of sex in history."

I'd add some more, but I think I used up my quota with that last one...

In Panama Hattie, just recently shown, I believe it's Alan Mowbray who has a rather provocative line, "This could be the beginning of an obnoxious friendship." Both this movie and Casablanca were made the same year leading one to wonder which line is the chicken and which is the egg.

luxo- about that line " This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship- I was watching a news short on TCM a month ago or so, and it was from the 30's ( I always want to know the year something came out, so I look at the roman numerals at the start of the short) and he said something about two animals and said " Looks like the start of a bee-autiful friendship" and I instantly went " Heh- I thought Casablanca started that!". Obviously it was in use before Casablanca, but maybe it made it more famous.

shainabluegirl, you're absolutely right. In fact, the line would probably be just another cliche were it not for Casablanca. Just have a legendary actor say it at the end of a legendary movie and it transforms from a cliche to a classic line.

Robert DeNiro's "You talkin' to me?" mirror exchange in Taxi Driver

Monty Python and the Holy Grail-"It's only a flesh wound"

Monty Python and the Holy Grail-"Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

I could go on and on with the Monty Python quotes...

"I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings. And I don't mind your ritzing me, or drinking your lunch out of a bottle, but don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me."

"This is an all-or-nothing proposition, ain't it? If we make a find, we'll be lightin' our cigars with hundred dollar bills. If we don't, the difference between what you put up and what I put up ain't enough to keep me from being right back where I was this afternoon, polishing a bench with the seat of my pants. Put 'er there, pard."

In The Ex-Mrs. Bradford:

[brad and Paula in the morgue]

Paula Bradford: My goodness, that looks just like a refrigerator. What is it?

Dr. Lawrence Bradford: A refrigerator.

And one of my favorites....from The Thin Man movie:

Reporter: Say listen, is he working on a case?

Nora Charles: Yes, he is.

Reporter: What case?

Nora Charles: A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him.

One of my other favorite quotes is a one-take scene in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, where Jean Arthur is drunk and talks about Jimmy Stewarts character..and then spontaneously says that she wants to get married to Diz!

"Diz you're a good egg!" I say that quote to everyone, of course replacing the name!

Tabitha

That "-wise" business must have been a big part of business-speak in the 1950s. In 1955's It's Always Fair Weather, Dan Dailey sings an entire "grey flannel suit breaking down from the strain" song called "Saturation-Wise," and it's pretty funny stuff (not surprising, coming from Comden and Green!).

Here's one from The Gay Divorcee with Astaire/Rogers. They are discussing Geology and the nosy waiter butts in..

Waiter" You know,I have always had an unnatural passion for rocks"

Astaire- " Well,you oughtta be ashamed."

Subtle, but really funny if you think about it!

• 2 weeks later...

From the adventures of Robin Hood

Lady Marian Fitzswalter: Why, you speak treason!

Robin Hood: Fluently.

From what I'm told this quote doesn't translate into German, so anyone watching it in that language gets some thing like do you know what you say is treason, and then Robin Hood says I Know. Thats not exactly what they say when its translated but I can't remember what they actually say at the moment. Anyway I have a friend from Germany, and she didn't understand it when I said it in English. I had to explain it to her, then she got it and thought it was very funny.

This one from "Picnic" always tickles me - Rosemary has been hounding Howard to get married and wants an answer -

Howard: "Ah....well.... Rosemary ..."

Rosemary: "Ah... well.... is a hole in the ground, Howard!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first are from Bette Davis:

"I'd like to kiss you, but I just washed my hair" - Cabin in the Cotton

"You sound like a book, and a very cheap one" - The Great Lie

And:

"Will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?" -Myrna Loy in the Thin Man

And:

"You don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything and you don't have to do anything. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and ? blow." - Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not

And I love this one from Singin' in the Rain:

"Long people have short faces, and short people have long faces. Big people have little humor and little people have no humor at all" - Donald O'Connor

And:

Bogie: ?White-water rapids!?

Kate: ?I never dreamed...?

Bogie: ?I don't blame you for being scared. Nobody with good sense ain't scared of white-water.?

Kate: ?I never dreamed that any mere physical experience could be so stimulating!? - The African Queen

I also like these from Joan Crawford.

"Oh, I'd love to be in the movies." - Grand Hotel

"I can be very unreasonable."

[Van Heflin to Joan]"Louise, be reasonable." [Joan slaps him] "Well, that's fairly reasonable."

- Both are from Posssessed (1947)