Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't take Pan and Scan anymore

squeakie

I'm sure this must have been brought up before, but there is this "filler" segment that TCM has been running for as long as I can remember about "Pan and Scan." It may be OK the first or second time through, but the explanation of Pan and Scan given in the segment is so lame, drawn-out and repetitive that a second-grade elementary school student would be offended by its lack of informative content. Am I alone on this? I love TCM, but this segment drives me crazy. It lives!!! It can't be killed!!!

TCM is constantly getting new viewers and many of them come from a life time of watching commercial TV where most people loathe "those damn black bars". and pan & scan is the norm. The purpose of that filler is to explain the differences between pan & scan and letterbox formats and to educate them as to why it's TCM's policy to, whenever possible, show a film in it's original aspect ratio.

TCM's hope is that the new viewers won't be so quick to change channels every time the see a film in letterbox. It's important for TCM to do that and I don't think that they really expect anybody to watch it every time it's shown.

Having said that, "pan & scan" has been running for a number of years now and it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea if TCM made an updated version with different clips and directors.

I have seen that "pan and scan" thing many times, and though it's gotten old, I'm more sick of seeing movies getting pan and scanned. ARG. Now that the TVs are rectangular, movies are being pan and scanned on the top and bottom instead. :( So now they need to update the "pan and scan" thing to be about not fitting movies into that horrendous rectangle that TVs are in the shape of, but that no movie is, Arg.

Designers?

You are perverting the meaning of design.

This word is not in the vocabulary of those who viciously trashed the TCM website. Trashing was the only design involved here, not anything like thinking, which is what one normally associates with the word "design."

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things (like design) are *not* what they seem to be

I still don't understand this pan and scan thing. What am I missing? Maybe I hate the segment so much that I don't pay attention whenever it is on. Is this the one where they show Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and show the smaller screen and what it looks like with a longer screen? Maybe I'll just google what pan and scan means unless someone here wants to explain it to me. I have a very short attention span when it comes to technical stuff.

> {quote:title=SoCalGal16 wrote:}{quote}

> I still don't understand this pan and scan thing. What am I missing? Maybe I hate the segment so much that I don't pay attention whenever it is on. Is this the one where they show Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and show the smaller screen and what it looks like with a longer screen? Maybe I'll just google what pan and scan means unless someone here wants to explain it to me. I have a very short attention span when it comes to technical stuff.

A pan and scan means the film printing machine (for a regular standard full screen 4:3 TV picture print) scans (left or right) on a wide-screen film copy, to show the actor on the right side of the screen and then the actor on the left side. Whereas a wide-screen or letterbox version shows them both on the wide screen at the same time. One could also call this "panning" left and right to get both people in the 4:3 image, but it is not the camera doing the panning, it's the film printing machine.

What we wind up with when we have letterboxing, is the missing top and bottom of the screen, which was never photographed in the first place. We see that as black bars at the top and bottom of our TV screens.