Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
moviemary

Tarzan's Mate Legal Age ?

According to records, she was 19 when she did "Tarzan". Seems her and Johnny carried her Jane and Tarzan role off the screen also in the early 1930's for a while when they had an affair.....

When TCM aired this recently, I was amazed how physical the scene is where he picks her out of the water and carries her off in soaking wet clothes, next to his big, muscular bare chest. As a swimmer, he was probably one of the few movie stars of that day fit enough to look convincing in a scene like that. I'm not at all surprised to hear he swept her off her feet in real life, too.

In 1940 Johnny was appearing in"Billy Rose Aquacade " shows. From New York to San Francisco, his swimming pardner was a young Esther Williams. Esther states that as soon as they swam across the pool and out of sight of the audience, Johnny was all over her. She said she had to be really on her toes when he was around. I guess even the water couldn't keep his "Tarzan" hormones under control. But Esther in a bathing suit, who could blame him. But Esther laughed when she recounted the story.....

I figure she was 21 in 1932 when she co-starred in Tarzan the Apeman.