Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Theme of the month: American Civil War Movies

I am a non-American who is absolutely fascinated by the American Civil War. It's a huge topic, it had such a profound and enduring effect on the United States as a country, a culture, a concept. It's one of the most powerful and intriguing aspects of American history. And now TCM is featuring an entire month of movies about it.

Step up, folks...any favourite films about the Civil War, any comments about this iconoclastic event in your nation's history?

( by the way, I specified American Civil War because there are several other famous civil wars in history, the Spanish Civil War (1930s) and the English Civil War ( 1640s) among others.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 1, 2011 8:12 PM

You are absolutely right that this sesquicentennial _should_ be the focus of a lot of attention. Many in the United States view the Civil War as _the_ pivotal event in U.S. history. In any case, it is a watershed as far as U.S. society, laws, nationhood and identity are concerned, with repercussions being felt down to the present day.

I only joined these boards relatively recently, but early on someone directed me to a _long_ (over 15 pp.) discussion of "Birth of a Nation," which is just one example of how this conflict and its aftermath have been portrayed in films. How wonderful of TCM to show so many others, and what a great opportunity for history teachers (and film history teachers) around the country and across the world.

My personal favorite? That would be Ken Burns' ten-part documentary _The Civil War_. I'm imagining PBS will be rebroadcasting it sometime over the next four years. I couldn't wait and re-watched the VHS tapes I made when it was first broadcast, over twenty years ago.

The American Civil War has always fascinated me. It's one of the reasons I majored in history and that period remains one of my favorite to research. My family like so many others in this country was personally affected so whenever reading or watching something about the Civil War, I remember my great great great grandfather who served in the 7th NC and survived (along with 2 others in his family) and the 19 family members who did not.

My favorite Civil War Movie would also be Ken Burn's documentary, but I love most of the ones I've seen and am always looking to see more.

Rodney Sauer confirms that Buster Keaton's *THE GENERAL* will be shown on TCM for the first time with the new score by his Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra. Replacing the maligned Alloy Orchestra score that TCM has aired the film with for the past 8 years. So very good news there. On the downside, it could have been the Carl Davis score, which is now default on the current Kino DVD and Blu-ray. Or even the Robert Israel score, which is track number 2. But I have yet to hear the Mont Alto one myself, so it will be all new to me.

To bad we couldn't have gotten a debut of Raymond Griffith's *HAND'S UP! (1926),* this would have been the perfect occasion.

I 'd never heard of *Hand's Up !*. I just looked it up, and it does look as though it would have been an interesting addition to the Civil War theme this month. Maybe it was a "rights" thing again. :(

Although TCM does show *The General* relatively often ( ie, w or 3 times a year or so), for some reason I've never seen it all the way through, except years and years ago in a film class. This time I'll have to make a point of catching it from the beginning.

I agree with those who said they liked the Ken Burns documentary about the Civil War. I love it, I think it's incredibly well done. I too had videotaped it back in the 80s (! ) No wonder I couldn't find the tapes when I wanted to watch it again. I ended up purchasing it at a local DVD shop - it was not inexpensive, but I figure it was well worth it. Plus, I love the music from that series. I have the CD.

They're showing *Gettysburg* (1993) on Monday April 25th, at 10:15. This is a great film about the Civil War, very detailed, great actors, and very well scripted, showing how complex and emotional the feelings around the war were. It has some very thoughtful and moving speeches from characters on both sides of the war.

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 1, 2011 7:22 PM

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I 'd never heard of *Hand's Up !*. I just looked it up, and it does look as though it would have been an interesting addition to the Civil War theme this month. Maybe it was a "rights" thing again. :(

Yes, HANDS UP is a Paramount film and they still hold the copyright to it. :(

I 'm surprised this hasn't taken off. I know there are a lot of civil war buffs out there (Doesn't seem appropriate to say "fans".) Maybe abbreviating the thread title and putting it in block caps will help.

Here is a link to the TCM article about their Civil War programming this month:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/373965|0/The-Civil-War-Mondays-Wednesdays.html

edit: hmm, it looks like this connection isn't working. Just go to the home page and when the" Civil War" display comes on, click it, you'll get the article.

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 2, 2011 12:16 PM

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Not an American film, and not often considered a Civil War picture, but the Civil War surrounds the film and its characters, so I think it definitely counts.

The way Leone shows the wounded soldiers, their withered faces and ultimately their dead bodies along the battlefield is a great symbolism of the war.

If you have interest in the Civil War, may I reccomend the movie "C.S.A.". Just a warning, it is the most politically uncorrect movie since "Birth of a Nation". "C.S.A." is an British TV mockumentery about America if the South won the Civil War, complete with fake commericals.

The only problem with Civil War movies is you know what the ending

is going to be. No suspense at all. I was watching PBS last night and

some stations have already started to rerun The Civil War. It must

have begun last week. Check local listings, etc. C.S.A. is hilarious.

It's not so much politically incorrect as politically relieved.

Since this is a pivotal event in American history, I am planning a more

interactive way to celebrate. I and a few others are staking out the path

of Sherman's march to the sea and subsequent trip through South and

North Carolina on a few acres owned by one of our fellow enthusiasts.

We will mark the more important stops along Uncle Billy's route with a

daily bonfire and a nightly barbecue. The Christmas time capture of

Savannah will be a highlight of our celebration. We're also working

out a reggae version of Marching Through Georgia. Can't wait for the

festivities to kick off in Fall 2014. Gonna make Georgia howl, yawl.

I am, at this moment, about 20 blocks from a statue of a Confederate infantryman, which greets all who enter the local courthouse. The Ohio river, next door, was a key factor in wartime strategy. Being a border state, Kentucky was occupied by both armies at different times. It's not unlikely that I lay my head at night where soldiers in blue AND gray did the same.

The movies. GWTW is probably the best. I like the Keaton film. Like Disney's version of the same story. THE HORSE SOLDIERS is fine. Frankly, I haven't seen many great ones. BAND OF ANGELS is OK. SHENANDOAH. But "Scarlet and Rhett and a cast of thousands" is hard to beat.

I loved when President Carter attended an AFI event. He said something like, "We loved going to movies when I was young. We saw GONE WITH THE WIND, and thrilled to the burning of Schenectady!" Paraphrasing.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/03/21/tcm-to-commemorate-150th-anniversary-of-the-civil-war-with-month-long-programming-spotlight-in-april/86431

TCM Commemorates the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War

Mondays and Wednesdays in April (all times shown are Eastern)

Monday, April 4 ? Civil War Epics

8 p.m. Gone with the Wind (1939)

Midnight Raintree County (1957)

Wednesday, April 6 ? Life on the Home Front

8 p.m. Friendly Persuasion (1956)

10:30 p.m. Band of Angels (1957)

12:45 a.m. Of Human Hearts (1938)

2:45 a.m. Little Women (1949)

Monday, April 11 ? Civil War Silents

8 p.m. The Birth of a Nation (1915)

11:30 p.m. The Coward (1915)

1 a.m. The General (1927)

2:30 a.m. Grandma?s Boy (1922)

Wednesday, April 13 ? Civil War Comedies and Musicals

8 p.m. A Southern Yankee (1948)

10 p.m. The Littlest Rebel (1935)

11:30 p.m. Advance to the Rear (1964)

1:15 a.m. Golden Girl (1951) ? TCM premiere

3:15 a.m. General Spanky (1936)

Monday, April 18 ? Civil War Westerns, Part 1

8 p.m. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

10:30 p.m. Major Dundee (1965)

1 a.m. The Horse Soldiers (1959)

3:15 a.m. Escape from Fort Bravo (1953)

5 a.m. A Time for Killing (1967)

3:30 a.m. Uncle Tom?s Cabin (1927)

Wednesday, April 20 ? Civil War Westerns, Part 2

8 p.m. Alvarez Kelly (1966)

10 p.m. Virginia City (1940)

12:15 a.m. The Siege at Red River (1954) ? TCM premiere

1:45 a.m. Great Day in the Morning (1956)

3:30 a.m. Hangman?s Knot (1952)

Monday, April 25 ? Stories from the Battlefield

8 p.m. Glory (1989)

10:15 p.m. Gettysburg (1993)

3 a.m. The Red Badge of Courage (1951)

Wednesday, April 27 ? Politics and Postwar Reconstruction

8 p.m. Abraham Lincoln (1930)

9:45 p.m. Tennessee Johnson (1942)

11:45 p.m. Drango (1957)

1:30 a.m. The Romance of Rosy Ridge (1947)

3:30 a.m. Count Three and Pray (1955)

*They're showing Gettysburg (1993) on Monday April 25th, at 10:15. This is a great film about the Civil War, very detailed, great actors, and very well scripted, showing how complex and emotional the feelings around the war were. It has some very thoughtful and moving speeches from characters on both sides of the war*.

I like the movie Gettysburg. However, the impression is left with many viewers Gen. Robert E. Lee sent Pickett and his men to a certain slaughter.

Remember, there are over 30,000 books written about the War of Northern Aggression and anything I state is conjecture like many others.

Longstreet badly served Gen. Lee and did not move with alacrity and vigor to carry out Gen. Lee's orders allowing the enemy to fortify and concentrate its forces.

He was on the verge of being insubordinate and sulked when his plans were not accepted for the attack or when he presented his grand plan to Jefferson Davis and his cabinet.

General Lee sorely missed his quarterback Gen. Stonewall Jackson. Stonewall took the ball and ran with it for Lee. His daring and fearless attitude toward the enemy was unequaled.

I've come to be intrigued by the idea Jeb Stuart was ordered to attack the Union rear during Pickett's charge and was met and checked by none other than George Custer resulting in the Union victory on day three of Pickett's charge.

I've never believed Lee would be foolish and waste his men needlessly.

"If I had had Stonewall Jackson with me, I should have won the battle of Gettysburg."

General Robert E Lee

Edited by: JakeHolman on Apr 2, 2011 8:48 PM

Edited by: JakeHolman on Apr 2, 2011 11:19 PM

> {quote:title=johnpressman wrote:}{quote}

> If you have interest in the Civil War, may I reccomend the movie "C.S.A.". Just a warning, it is the most politically uncorrect movie since "Birth of a Nation". "C.S.A." is an British TV mockumentery about America if the South won the Civil War, complete with fake commericals.

It's a topic that several sci-fi/fantasy authors have taken on. Harry Turtledove's book, _How Few Remain_ begins a series of books leading up to WWII in which the North and South are two separate countries; Winston Chruchill took on the subject in "If Lee Had Not Won the Battle of Gettysburg,: Ward Moore used time travel to fix things in _Bring the Jubilee_. I haven't read it on principle, but Newt Gingrich, writing w/ William Forstchen wrote one too.

Alternate history is fascinating--the authors look at various "pivot points" in history (like the Civil War) and figure out how the world might have turned out differently if, say, the Spanish Armada had defeated Elizabeth's English Armada and Spain ruled England or where the Stuart kings were never deposed by the Georges or where the Carthage wins the Punic Wars.

My favorite Civil War film is *An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge*, 29m, made in 1962, based on an Ambrose Bierce short story. I wish TCM was showing it.

That _is_ a good film. I remembered seeing it aired as a "Twilight Zone" episode and have now been able to confirm that it was, although a French short subject that was not made for the series. By the time I saw it, I had already read the Ambrose Bierce story; this added to the thrill.

Surely TCM could find time to insert it into the schedule as a short?

Given the terrible slaughter that both sides experienced, there many great ghost stories associated with the War -- entire armies of the dead marching through towns in the night and so forth. But does anyone know of any good scary movies that have been based on these tales?

> {quote:title=nitratefiend wrote:}{quote}

>... Given the terrible slaughter that both sides experienced, there many great ghost stories associated with the War -- entire armies of the dead marching through towns in the night and so forth. But does anyone know of any good scary movies that have been based on these tales?

There must be some Civil War ghost movies kicking around...I know there are a lot of ghost stories connected with the War, but whether any of them were made into a movie or not, I cannot say. One would think so.

I know when I was in Savannah last fall, there were ghost stories galore, some, though not all, related to events from the Civil War. Of course, Savannah suffered far less than the other cities in the South, because when Sherman finished his March to the Sea there, the good citizens of Savannah yielded their fair town to him, on condition that he not burn and destroy it as he had so many other cities and plantations in the South. Sherman agreed, and made a "Christmas present" of it to President Lincoln.

Alternate history is fascinating

I'm working on one about the 1984 playoffs. Steve Garvey oversleeps and misses the final game. The Cubs win and go on to The World Series. How do you like it so far?

*The Tall Target* may have not made it to the Civil War line-up for this month, but it is playing Thursday June 30, at 9:45 a.m.

I think it must be worth checking out- I see it's directed by Anthony Mann.

> {quote:title=nitratefiend wrote:}{quote}

> Given the terrible slaughter that both sides experienced, there many great ghost stories associated with the War -- entire armies of the dead marching through towns in the night and so forth. But does anyone know of any good scary movies that have been based on these tales?

Well, there is the Herschel Gordon Lewis film, *2,000 Maniacs*, but that's probably not exactly what you are looking for.

You never know, what with the way all the sport teams are playing. The Fates seem to like the Underdogs this season and is lettting them move into the spotlight. So Cubs and all the other teams who haven't been their in a long while either.