Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RhondaNY

Spotlight Pass Holder's Questions

We received the schedule today...so excited!

Are there additional events/programs for Spotlight Pass holders? If so, where would they be posted? Also, any advice on what to wear to the Vanity Fair party? Is it formal attire?

*"We received the schedule today...so excited!*

*Are there additional events/programs for Spotlight Pass holders? If so, where would they be posted? Also, any advice on what to wear to the Vanity Fair party? Is it formal attire?"* - RhondaNY

Hello "Rhonda" -

Have you received your "passes" in the mail yet? If so, I think the schedule of special events for Spotlight Passholders would be included with those materials. If not, then I think there is a registration at the Roosevelt on Thursday (There was last year) and you likely will be given a "Spotlight" itinerary then. I know Spotlight Passholders get all that great Swag! Be sure and pick yours up! I think there are many extra events just for passholders like yourself.

As to dress, be as "glamorous" as you want that night. But I wouldn't necessarily think of the dress as being "formal". TCM describes it as "Cocktail Attire" - or what you would wear if going to a really fun (and trendy) party. But I will also tell you that last year there were men in Tuxedo coats and women in their best gowns for the Opening Night Gala and After-Party. So it is up to you to define "glamorous".

Hope this is helpful.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks! No, I didn't see anything in the mail other than our passes. I was hoping to see the Spotlight events before we got to the hotel so that we could do some planning.

And thanks for the advice on attire. Oh....what to wear!!!! :) Can't wait!

*"Thanks! No, I didn't see anything in the mail other than our passes."* - RhondaNY

You're welcome.

No "itinerary" with the passes, huh? OK. Hopefully a rep of the FilmFestival will chime in and give you some better guidance on what special events you have awaiting you and when those take place. Definitely check back on this thread over the next few days to see if/when they have replied.

Kyle In Hollywood

There was a heavy sheet of paper in with the Spotlight passes when they arrived via Fedex. Check your envelope again. Perhaps it is still in there! It was pretty general, with information already available at the Festival website. However, one interesting addition seems to be the "daily, exclusive access" to complimentary Meet & Greet continental breakfasts Friday thru Sunday at the Roosevelt. Says TCM's own Robert Osborne and other special guests will be in attendance. Hope they start early! Hope this helps a little.

RhondaNY, this paragraph was included the letter I received from TCM with my Spotlight Pass:

"We are pleased to announce that Spotlight Pass holders will have daily, exclusive access to complimentary "Meet and Greet" continental breakfasts April 29-May 1 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. TCM's own Robert Osborne fnd other special guests will be in attendance."

Nice!

- Kathie

If I'm not mistaken, you will not find out the location of the Vanity Fair After Party until you pick up your gift bag. When I found out I walked down the street to find the location during the daytime, so that I wouldn't get lost at night. I guess they didn't want gate crashers so they didn't put it in the letter that came with the pass. I thought it was quite crowded last year and no place for us common folk to sit down. I hope they choose a bigger place this time.

Hi everyone-

Like last year, Spotlight passholders will receive detailed information about the Vanity Fair party with their gift bags.

TCM Classic Film Festival

Kyle et all who attended the opening night gala last year,

I'D VERY MUCH APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT, PLEASE.

Did many people really wear true cocktail attire (& dressier) last year, i.e. as the term is defined when used on invites to indicate the degree of dress for an event, rather than what people typically wear to cocktail parties these days?

I ask because most people I saw entering Graumann's last year and that I see in the photos from the gala appear to be dressed in attire typical of a nice dinner party or cocktail party. Except for the men in suits, I'm not seeing people in cocktail attire.

I'm finding that I can only fit into my casual clothing and some of my cocktail dresses, and they're on the very dressy end of cocktail attire. I fear that I'll be very over dressed in the latter or be under dressed and have no fun wearing the former. (Not that I wouldn't enjoy the event, of course. Just don't want to miss out on the fun of dressing the part.) I don't really want to buy something new but I especially don't want to be uncomfortably over dressed. I expected more people would heed TCM's request, if only because we have so little opportunity to wear cocktail attire these days. Am I getting the wrong impression from the few people I've seen? Did many people really dress in cocktail attire at the gala?

TIA,

Kristin

Kristin -

I am no fashion maven or arbiter of tasteful attire. It means little to me when you write "I'm not seeing people in cocktail attire." I'm not familiar with the term as a certain style. That's my shortcoming and not yours. If it helps, I think the recommendation is to find something between "formal" and "business casual".

If you would like a "guide" on what you might wear to the Opening Night Gala, how about thinking "What would Holly Golightly wear if she were attending the Gala in 2011?" If that is "dressier" than you expected and not already in your wardrobe, then I am sure what you do have that is closest to that idea would be fine. If what you have is "dressier" and you think you'll be overdressed, let it go. Make your choice of attire and "own it." Go have fun.

You will see all sorts of attire that evening. Whatever you decide, I think you'll be one beautiful rose in the bouquet of women on the Red Carpet.

If others can offer some guidance, please chime in.

Kyle In Hollywood

I didn't know what "cocktail attire" was last year so I winged it. On women, I saw everything from pant suits to sequin gowns. I wore a tea-length blue dress with cap sleeves and ruffles. A woman I chummed around with that evening wore what I would call a "party dress", which was an above-the-knee, strapless in black and white. The event seemed to lend itself to the "little black dress", but I'm not one who likes to look like everybody else so that's why I went with blue. I felt like I was more dressed for a wedding than a movie premiere though, so I felt somewhat self conscious, althought I'm sure not a single person thought one way or the other about how I was dressed. This year I'll be in blue once again, but I'm going with something slightly more sophisticated, at least I think it is. I think the key is to wear what YOU would wear to a cocktail party, and you can't go wrong.

*Did many people really wear true cocktail attire (& dressier) last year, i.e. as the term is defined when used on invites to indicate the degree of dress for an event, rather than what people typically wear to cocktail parties these days?*

Paging our social stylist, SueSueApplegate! Paging SueSue!!!!

RhondaNY and Kikilee,

On what to wear, I agree with Kyle; go as glamorous as you want that night! My husband will either wear his tuxedo or a white dinner jacket and I'll be in formal cocktail attire, but 1950s style, so you can go as dressy as you wish! And I love the idea, Kyle, of being one of the beautiful roses in the bouquet of women on the Red Carpet!

~Tracy

Kyle,

You actually have the perfect answer to this query.

I definitely dressed up last year. I had beads (albeit cocktail length) for my outfit. I always hoped that TCM would make this a formal event so that it truly would be red carpet formal. Alas, that never happened. I saw a mix of things: some long gowns, the beads and sequins, for sure. Also some fairly modest and low-key outfits. Personally, although I like the full-out glam direction, I respect the quieter mode. This is an event that I would not try to dress down for. Why bother? It's fun to dress up and go a little more glamorous on occasional events. How often do you have the chance to be on the red carpet? Go for it. Oh, for whatever it's worth: the most glamorous had the most publicity. You know I'm talking about some fellows from Chicago.

The Countess and Miss Lilacs, Lynn, were some of the great style setters of the glam set, and I definitely agree that "going all out" is also "going all out" to have a wonderful time!

If you don't wish to "get all dolled" up, there is no requirement, but half the fun is pretending you are at a "real" premiere, and there will be "real" screen queens and kings attending the screening as well as the Vanity Fair after party....

Last year, hair salon "Fekkai" treated Countess De Lave and Loves Lilacs

to a complimentary "do", and as I recall, you ladies were certainly complimented!!

Have fun, dress up, and don't forget your smile!

(Yes, I may be Pollyanna, and yes, I'm going to see Hayley Mills and *The Parent Trap* and/or Summer Magic* !)

Yay for Disney Musicals!!

One suggestion I would make to those going formal is to make sure you have warm-ish wraps regardless of whether you are attending the red carpet or you opt for the poolside screening. It was very windy and cool last year and I saw tons of poor ladies freezing in their finery.

Thank you all so very much for the helpful suggestions, the descriptions of your past and planned outfits and the kind words. I'm sure you're all right about dressing up as much as one wants for the full special experience. It's extremely helpful to learn your thoughts & plans, thanks, because the biggest part of my challenge was that I didn't know what I wanted. None of my outfit options are something I'm dying to wear, so going quite dressy wasn't a clear choice. Thanks to your great tips, I'm getting excited to wear something I couldn't most anywhere else. Even though I won't be wearing my ideal, I'm sure it will still be great fun to do it up.

My trepidation about dressing formally stemmed from not being able to get the embarrassed looks of some opera first-timers out of my head. Female newcomers to Chicago's and Detroit's opera houses sometimes dress like they see TV characters dress for the Met. Regulars usually show up wearing something in the range of jeans to business attire, especially in Chicago. That discovery turns some newcomers' excitement over their special sparkly party dress or evening gown into mortification. I didn't want to similarly miss-gauge (sp?) the degree of dress of this event because I won't be wearing something I adore to over-ride that feeling. (The 50's dresses I'm considering are lovely in and of themselves, IMHO, but my faves, those that best match my personal style and that are the most flattering, don't fit, darnit.)

Can't wait to see these outfits y'all have described. They sound fabulous!

Thanks, again!

-Kristin

{quote:title=kikilee wrote:}My trepidation about dressing formally stemmed from not being able to get the embarrassed looks of some opera first-timers out of my head. Female newcomers to Chicago's and Detroit's opera houses sometimes dress like they see TV characters dress for the Met. Regulars usually show up wearing something in the range of jeans to business attire, especially in Chicago. That discovery turns some newcomers' excitement over their special sparkly party dress or evening gown into mortification. I didn't want to similarly miss-gauge (sp?) the degree of dress of this event because I won't be wearing something I adore to over-ride that feeling.{quote}

As a frequent opera attendee, I'm rooting for the sparkly dressed neophytes. Wish I could've been there to assuage their insecurities; it's the bejeaned crowd who might want to think twice about attire (even if they're in the majority). I'm not a snob... okay, maybe a little... and I'd hate to see someone skip the opera because they only have jeans, but out of respect for the highest temple of musical theatre, it makes the occasion more special to "doll it up". I live in San Francisco and you'll see everything in the audience (from drag queens to bejewelled dowagers to students in denim) of the SF Opera. Some Houses have "dress nights" (Tuesdays in San Francisco; Mondays at the Met), when those in Orchestra or formal box seats might even attend black tie. As Mr. Astaire sang, "put a crease in your pant and a shine on your shoes"!

So now we're in Hollywood, a place also known for all kinds of attire. Costumes reign! Remember when Sharon Stone arrived on the Red Carpet in a Gap t-shirt? While Sophia Loren arrives in regal gown? It's time to get a grip on our suitcases and bravely bring exhibit our own style. Enjoy!

P.S. I hoping someone wears Bjork's Swan costume.

> {quote:title=JackBurley wrote:}

> .... out of respect for the highest temple of musical theatre, it makes the occasion more special to "doll it up". ...

>

> P.S. I hoping someone wears Bjork's Swan costume.{quote}

Amen! I'm a huge fan of Bjork, Helena Bonham Carter, et al who dress to their own very personal style (except outfits that are disrespectful to one's host).

I'm afraid I accidentally overstated the casual attire in effort to simplify my comments. On the nights I attend the Lyric in Chicago (Fridays, typically) most patrons are wearing business casual (old school business casual) to business attire. Extremely few people wear jeans. That said, I'm more likely to spot a pair of jeans than I am to find a sparkly evening dress unless the performance is preceded by some special event.

Detroit is a little different. It used to be just like Chicago but attendees have been stepping it up in the last few years. Business casual and business attire still abound but now a significant number of women wear evening attire. Most pair a sparkly top with a basic skirt and great shoes but I also see a good number of glitzy dresses. I looove it all. I'm energized by the celebratory quality of the dressier outfits.

The difference between the two houses works perfectly for me, I must admit. I've usually been trekking all over the city before a Chicago performance and opt for wool dress pants and a nice top that can be dressed up with killer high heels, fancy jewelry and a dramatic coat or shawl (accessories I can change in my car :o) Usually the weather, especially the wind, makes it difficult for me to imagine wearing anything but pants. Couldn't make it back to my car before the last opera and ended up wearing black sport shoes, doh, not that I expect anyone except those sitting next to me noticed. I literally had to sprint the last mile to make curtain.

I sincerely thank everyone for helping me get my head around this. My front runner dress probably treads into formal territory a bit but y'all have convinced me I shouldn't let that be a deterrent. I confess to scheduling my opera season tickets to include opening night in part so I can dress more festively. Opening night of this festival is such a unique opportunity to get the most of wearing a vintage party dress, it'd be silly not to embrace it.

Thanks, again!

Kristin