Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you could have lived in any era which would it be and why.

Old_Hippy

Myself, I find that I would have (I think) liked a couple of different ones, one being a lover of westerns that era appeals to me as well as the late 30's/40's era...a time when life was simpler and had a true meaning to it such as family values as displayed in one of my favorite movies " A Christmas Story".

Ummm, that's a tough one....

IF I had the ability to transport myself through time, and was able to understand ALL languages, I'd love to be able to "Time Travel" to ALL the important historical events that I've read and been told about so that I could witness them first hand.

Like the time traveler in H. G. Wells The Time Machine, I'd also like to travel far into the prehistoric past, and into the distant future to see what becomes of us.

But to be locked into a specific era for a lifetime... I think that I would want to be one of those hardy French Voyagers in North America during the relatively tranquil period of the early 1700's. I'd love to explore the virgin territory of what would become the border region of the United States and Canada; see the natural flora and fauna of the Great Plains, the headwaters of the Missouri, the Rockies, and beyond. I'd like to intermingle with the various native American tribes, trap and trade and live as pristine and primordial existence as I could.

Of course, in order to maximize my appreciation of what once was, I'd have to retain some of my memories of what it would eventually, all to quickly, become.

I've re-watched a number of movies recently which take place around the turn of the 20th century -- 1895-1910: I Remember Mama; Maurice; The Happy Years; Ah, Wilderness!; Also of course Every Day's a Holiday, my favorite Mae West movie.

I'm not sure I'd want to live in that period, but I find the very late Victorian and the Edwardian periods very attractive in some ways.

Well I don't think any era is truly perfect but I am going to say a more modern era than most: the 70's.

Why because at that time most of the Classic stars/directors were still with us & I could have a chance to appear on Match Game. This is a dream of mine that now can never be realized.

Although I suppose the 60's wouldn't be a bad choice either then maybe I could have seen the Beatles live (and I still would be around to appear on Match Game in the 70's). :)

Edited by: Kinokima on Apr 10, 2011 2:15 PM

*Well I don't think any era is truly perfect but I am going to say a more modern era than most: the 70's.*

Kinkoma,

I grew up in the 1960s/1970s and fell in love with classic films in the late 1960s. They were everywhere back then, on network television, on the late show, the afternoon matinee shows and more. The stars were all over the dial as well. Sitting down with Johnny Carson to actually talk and not just hawk their latest movie, talking with Dick Cavett, Joey Bishop and in the afternoons talking to Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas.

They came out for the Academy Awards each year and made that award show more glamorous and special then it has been in recent years.

They were on game shows like Match Game, Hollywood Squares and all over television series from *The Virginian* (in the 1960s) to *Ironside* to *Love Boat*.

The downside was, until the late 1970s at least, there was no way of recording them so you had to watch them when they happened because there was no guarantee they would be rerun.

I can't tell you the number of times I faked being sick to stay home and watch a movie on the afternoon matinee show.

But that combined with the movies that were being made in the early to mid 1970s and it was a blast from a film buff's perspective.

As for me, the era I would love to be able to go back to would be the silent era from film making from the 1920s through to the height of the dream factories in southern California.

That would be fun.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> The title implies an era other than which we actually experienced. In that case, I would say the "roaring twenties", with the flappers, speakeasies, Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, bathtub gin, and on and on and on.

Hi finance! And with prior knowledge, you could continue avoid the the roughest parts of the Depression, maybe?

My favorite period would be the Forties to early Fifties.. but I agree with Old Hippy, the 40s. For me, it was a simpler time, yet filled with so many changes. I feel so in touch with movies like The Best Years of Our Lives, Letter to Three Wives and The More the Merrier.

I guess that's another thread: *Movies that strike us like Deja-Vu...*

Edited by: casablancalover on Apr 10, 2011 4:32 PM

It should not surprise you all to find out that I like to see myself as a pioneer woman. Of course, when I think about how those long skirts would get in the way of my daily life or having to shoot a horse instead of change a tire-if I could drive-I realize that divine providence put me in the right time and place. How else could I get the chance to meet any of you in a few weeks?

I surely missed being out of touch last night. I didn't know if was my system or TCM and couldn't get in until about a half hour ago after I e-mailed TCM again about an hour ago. I have to eat crow. It's up again and that's what matters.

I have often said the 1820s because I love the fashions of the time---the one time people wore awesome clothes that pretty much looked good on everyone. But then I wouldn't have electricity and I'd probably be a poor beggar. Probably during the 40s. Yes I know the war was hard, but I love that music and those movies, and I wouldn't want to live through the 20s or 30s. This is only if my eyesight would be good, because honestly, in any other time period I'd be blind as a bat. So I guess I'm lucky I live now.