Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sidney Lumet (1924 - 2011)

hlywdkjk

A great director who turned out some of the finest films in the last 50+ years. Another major talent who never won an Oscar for directing. His "12 Angry Men" is such a classic, along with "The Verdict", "Dog Day Afternoon" and "Network" to name a few of his. A long productive life...R.I.P. .

This is indeed sad news.

I was so hoping he could be at the Film Festival this year talking about *Network*.

Up in heaven tonight, Paddy is buying the rounds tonight for Sidney Lumet.

I had no idea. What a very talented man. How versatile is the filmmaker who makes the intimate TWELVE ANGRY MEN, the ironic NETWORK and the frenetic DOG DAY AFTERNOON? It's that urban intensity I remember him for; SERPICO is another example. But it's Fonda and his fellow jurors, proving once again that less is more, that holds the biggest place in my heart. If there's a Sidney Lumet masterpiece, this is probably it. We've lost one of the best directors of a generation.

*The Verdict* was Lumet's masterpiece in my estimation. Others may give *Serpico* or *Network*. But Paul Newman's subtle portrayal of an alcoholic lawyer was perfection. Mr. Lumet directed it with a fine hand. Charlotte Rampling, James Mason and Lindsay Crouse round out the cast.

I do hope we'll get a whole day of Mr. Lumet's films to celebrate his life on TCM.

Rest in peace.

No one yet has mentioned The Hill (1965), one of Lumet's very best, with a brilliant opening. The camera movements are amazing, and the performances are outstanding. This film needs to be much better known.

Like the rest of you, I hope that TCM will do a tribute. Long Day's Journey Into Night apparently has never been shown on TCM.

b3rry, welcome to the boards. The Verdict is indeed well-acted, and I'd add Julie Bovasso as another performer who deserves a shout-out. My pleasure in The Verdict is marred because I know enough about the world of litigation to recognize what's improbable and what's just wrong. However, that's not the fault of Lumet or the actors, who really deliver.

How's this? Perhaps TCM could mix in some of the familiar and less familiar Lumet films in the next year. The schedule's usually set about six months in advance.

Don't you *know* whether or not you are looking forward to a tribute to Sidney Lumet in the near future? If *you* don't know, then who does?

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where (as exemplified by the *question* to which I responded), things are *not* what they seem to be

In the mid 90's Sidney Lumet Directed a film called *Critical Care* about end of life treatment.

It was a comedy in the vein of Network, but it also had a vibe that was creepier than your average horror movie. This movie showed up on Comedy Central, (too new for TCM) but was barely released.