Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miss Marple

clearskies

I just read in "Slate Magazine" that Jennifer Garner has signed to do a new version of Christie's Jane Marple character. I don't understand why they can't leave the character alone, as Christie has formed her. Why a younger Miss Marple? The whole idea behind this more mature sleuth is to show that maturity brings wisdom (most of the time, anyway) & the insights gained come from life's experiences. There are so few roles (and role models) for mature women in Hollywood, there goes another one under the bus, alas! Just as bad as Hollywood's latest depiction of Sherlock Holmes, mentally ill my foot! Enough of this so called "artistic license," stop messing with the imposing literary characters. They have been around a long time for a reason. Updates are one thing, changing characters is another.

Not to worry--we Miss Marple Christie fanatics will simply boycott the whole project. Without the diehards--the thing has no base. When people do this sort of thing for a new audience, they always, stupidly, count on keeping the old base. They'll be in for a surprise--like the BBC when they hired Geraldine McEwan to be a "with-it", sloppily bargain basement dressed Miss Marple. And if that wasn't bad enough, they completely changed some of the plots. It flopped and they recanted with a more traditional portrayal by Julie McKenzie.

PS--Holmes did have some sort of mental abnormality--you can see that in Jeremy Brett's brilliant portrayals.

Edited by: cujas on Apr 11, 2011 3:06 PM

I seem to be having some trouble with this site, clicked on reply & was unable to type anything the last couple of days. Oh well...today's a new day. Thanks for the insight on trying to attract a new audience, wondered why McEwan looked so sloppy. As far as Sherlock goes, I was thinking brilliant (which might be abnormal to some) & perhaps eccentric, in the Jeremy Brett (a big favorite of mine) portrayal, not any kind of mental abberation. I was referring to the Benedict Cumberbach version, set in modern day London & another BBC production, where his brilliance was carried a bit too far & truly didn't seem quite normal, in fact, weird. Also, Dr. Watson, portrayed by Martin Freeman, had a much larger role than usual. Things change I guess...