Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

JULY SCHEDULE IS UP!

Very excited to see Hirokazu Koreeda's Maborosi on the schedule, it's one of the best films of the 1990s.

I assume all of the Arab world & Middle Eastern themed films are this year's Race in Hollywood.

Glad to see more Ozu and Godard (End of Summer and Made in U.S.A.) and another showing of Abbas Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry.

Looking forward to seeing Frank Borzage's Secrets, Anthony Mann's The Last Frontier, Kon Ichikawa's Tokyo Olympiad, and Howard Hawks' Land of the Pharoahs.

Am I doing something wrong? Whenever I pull up the July or May monthly, I only get 30 days for either one. No 31st.

Nothing could illustrate the TCM "Big Tent" programming philosophy than Roy Rogers and Jean-Luc Godard in July. Like Jonas EB and Scottman, I'm very happy to see Kon Ichikawa's TOKYO OLYMPIAD on the schedule. This is a film I'd requested and even used in programming challenges. The same is true of the 1940 GASLIGHT with Anton Walbrook. Additional noirish delights can be found in Robert Siodmak's THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE.

If you enjoyed Ann Todd in the recent SO EVIL MY LOVE, two more of her best performances are in David Lean's most underrated films, THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS and MADELEINE.

I've never seen THE OX-BOW INCIDENT, LORD OF THE FLIES, THE TALL TARGET, or LAND OF THE PHAROAHS.

Wanna see Joan Crawford lip-synch in blackface? You'll get the chance when TORCH SONG is shown. For films that are intentionally comic, SLEEPER is one of Woody Allen's "early, funny" films.

The Private Screenings with Patricia Neal is superb. THE KING AND FOUR QUEENS isn't one of Clark Gable's best, but Jo Van Fleet has an excellent role, and unfortunately there aren't many movies where that's the case. As a Paulette Goddard fan, I'll want to see Alexander Korda's version of the Oscar Wilde play AN IDEAL HUSBAND.

Don't know how BOY ON A DOLPHIN will look, but Sophia Loren will look spectacular in it. AMERICA AMERICA is one of Kazan's least-known films, but his most ambitious and, to me, one of his best. And again, thank you, thank you, thank you for TOKYO OLYMPIAD.

> {quote:title=wdh333 wrote:}{quote}

> Am I doing something wrong? Whenever I pull up the July or May monthly, I only get 30 days for either one. No 31st.

The last I checked, the schedule was occasionally jumbled where showtimes were concerned. Hope it has been fixed.

Can someone tell me how to get to the schedules beyond the current month? I used to see tabs for current, next month and the month after but can't find them anymore. July would be one month after that so I'd really like to see that. I travel a lot and DVR a lot of movies so I can watch them when I get home and the long term schedules are a big help.

Here is the July schedule under discussion:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-07-01

Here are the May and June schedules:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-05-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-06-01

You'll note the pattern in the links - just change the month in about three weeks time to "08" and the August schedule should appear.

How did you get the information for RAINBOW ISLAND on July 31 ? My schedule for the month of July only scrolls down as far as July 30.

Looks like a lot of good films, but I am disappointed that there's not going to be a birthday salute to William Powell on the 29th at this point. (I know it's subject to change)

Haven't you heard?

TCM, in its infinite "wisdom," has waved its Wonderful wand and closed out the month of July with thirty days, instead of the generally recognized calendar of thirty-one days for July. Chalk one up to Ms. Hatter!

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where Ms. Hatter is busier than ever

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}

> How did you get the information for RAINBOW ISLAND on July 31 ? My schedule for the month of July only scrolls down as far as July 30.

>

I'm still wondering about that, too. All I can see listed is through the 30th. But I'm glad to hear that RAINBOW ISLAND is coming (if it really is).

Not to worry. This is Ms. Hatter at work--to perfection.

The worst that can happen is that you will miss it--if, of course, it is shown as some suggest that it will be. Wouldn't life at TCM be dull indeed if everything were as promised/advertised? You need not worry about *this* any more, nor need you believe that there is *anyone* in authority at TCM who can explain to you why July now has only thirty days.

Good luck in your search!

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where Ms. Hatter is busy doing something other than partying with a cup of tea.

Come join the Party and hold on to your hat (oops, please excuse this expression)

and thank that rabbit for all of this fun.

Giive it a rest, musikone! We know you are not happy with the board. A lot of us don't like all of the changes, either, but we don't harp on it over and over and over. Knock it off and contribute something more to this board than your petty complaining.

Boy u seem to be very knowledgable on a lot and you have everything right, Keep up the good work!

musikone -like what you have to post-keep up the good work!

Edited by: sheri10 on Apr 20, 2011 12:41 AM

LoveFilmNoir -You are so right-right on! TCM has a vault but they keep playing foreign movies -, silent movies and who the heck is interested? There is not that many! Sombody is making these mistakes! Where are the classics they use to play. What about Margie

(Marjorie 'Margie' MacDuff) 1946

*LoveFilmNoir -You are so right-right on!*

Sheri,

LFN was actually talking about the Fox Movie Channel repeating movies frequently throughout the month, not TCM.

LFN seems to be very happy with the July schedule, especially the film noir selections.

By the way, in case you missed it, I am *very* fond of foreign films and silent films.

This being said, thanks for your support about my (the overwhelming majority) position on the schedule missmanagement, which effectively fouls up one's effective planning of movie viewing.

Just keep in mind that the scheduling and the films which are enjoyed (here we obviously disagree) are two separate issues.

musikone

Contact your cable provider and complain, they have a lot of pull. Especially when TCM is showing movies on Easter Sunday-hippee movies, or the mockery of JESUS. People are tired of TCM showing naked moves which should be shown on HBO not a TCM classic movie station that normally a family would watch. Please stop showing silent movies and especially foreign movies.

*"People are tired of TCM showing naked moves which should be shown on HBO..."* - sheri10

Nudie Movies on TCM? How in the hell have I missed all those?

Oh. Maybe you are referring to *Tarzan* and *Ecstasy*. "Move along. Nothing to see here."

Kyle (Jesus Of Montreal next Easter would be wonderful) In Hollywood

> {quote:title=sheri10 wrote:}{quote}

> Contact your cable provider and complain, they have a lot of pull. Especially when TCM is showing movies on Easter Sunday-hippee movies, or the mockery of JESUS.

I don't see anything that could be considered "the mockery of Jesus," I don't think they're showing *The Life of Brian*, i.e. I do see a couple of movies about Jesus that could be called hippie movies. But, Jesus was a hippie, so that's appropriate. :)

I definitely like foreign films, and some silents. many here positively dote on silents.

> Contact your cable provider and complain, they have a lot of pull. Especially when TCM is showing movies on Easter Sunday-hippee movies, or the mockery of JESUS. People are tired of TCM showing naked moves which should be shown on HBO not a TCM classic movie station that normally a family would watch. Please stop showing silent movies and especially foreign movies.

Grow up. I have zero tolerance for the American Taliban.

> Oh. Maybe you are referring to *Tarzan* and *Ecstasy*. "Move along. Nothing to see here."

If you watch *Red-Headed Woman*, about 15 minutes in there's a scene where Jean Harlow asks for her nightgown back from her roommate (Una Merkel, I think), who is currently wearing it. The roommate takes it off and hands it to Harlow, and the way the scene is cut you can see Harlow's bare breast for about half a second. It's one of those things you'll miss if you don't know about, but once you know it's there, it's hard to miss. Kind of like all those Hitchcock cameos, although we wouldn't want to see him naked.

As long as they are not going to be shown on July 31, 2011, since TCM does not recognize the existence of this future date which the *rest of this planet* knows to exist! But then, the "special" nature of TCM gives it license to ignore reality.

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are *never* what they seem to be

> Contact your cable provider and complain, they have a lot of pull. Especially when TCM is showing movies on Easter Sunday-hippee movies, or the mockery of JESUS. People are tired of TCM showing naked moves which should be shown on HBO not a TCM classic movie station that normally a family would watch. Please stop showing silent movies and especially foreign movies.

Who are you? If you don't like silent and foreign films, here is a brilliant idea don't watch them. Don't presume to say what other people who watch this channel want.

Anyways I am having issues seeing the July schedule. Can anyone tell me who is the Star of the Month? Thanks :)