Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywood Heritage Museum vs. Hollywood Museum

CjHuthmaker

For those of you who have been to both which would you choose? I don't think I will have the time to go to both. I haven't really found any good info on the Demille barn but saw that the Hollywood Museum in the old Max Factor building is offering a discount for pass holders. So what do you suggest?

CJ,

Of the two, I prefer the Hollywood Heritage Museum at the DeMille Barn. It concentrates more on the early history of Hollywood and there is a terrific postcard/ephemera collection on display that allows you to see how Hollywood Boulevard developed.

It also has old cameras and lights on display and quite an extensive history on Paramount and CB DeMille.

Also, the small gift shop/book store has a great eclectic selection of biographies and autobiographies that many mainstream bookstores don't carry.

Admission is $7 and it is a fairly easy walk to and from the Boulevard. Free parking is available as well.

http://www.hollywoodheritage.org/museum/museum.html

The Hollywood Museum in the old Max Factor Building has some terrific displays from the days when it was a museum devoted to Max Factor and his salon.

In the basement is a set from *Cheers*.

The admission price (before the TCM discount) is $15. It, too, is a fairly easy walk from the Festival zone.

http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com/

If you have the time, perhaps a visit to both?

CJ, I have to agree with LZcutter. The Hollywood Heritage is fantastic for the early Hollywood history. On the other hand: Hollywood History Museum is the old Max Factor Building. That, in itself is interesting. Separate rooms for Blondes, Brunettes and Redheads. There are some very good photos and displays but the museum has a bit of the cheese factor too (not all of it). The Hollywood History Museum is the most central to the Festival activities but I went to the Hollywood Heritage Museum last year and had a fantastic time. If you enjoy silent films (in particular) this is a great place to go.

I haven't been to the DeMille Barn, but plan on visiting this year. I was disappointed with the Max Factor building. Not that I couldn't stand to learn more about make-up. Then again, I had been walking around touring Hollywood for four days when I finally got there, so maybe I was just burnt out.

David in Seattle