Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back from TCM The Birds with Tippi!

TriciaNY

And she was lovely. I took a bunch of pics and some video...I will upload them. I was star struck and she has star quality, that's for sure! And I keep thinking she was Antonio''s MIL! LOL

She had some funny stories and she spoke about shambala.org. She looks beautiful and I am glad we went. HOWEVER

NO ROBERT OSBORNE!!!! =( I was so bummed!

Ben filled in.

sigh

and we had front ROW right in front of the speakers. OW my ears from the birds! BTW this movie is the SOLE reason why I don't like birds, and never did. I saw the movie in the theater as a 5 year old. LOL It wasn't new then, the movie, but my Aunt worked at the box office in a movie theater in NYC so we saw everything for free, so we did.

But it was enjoyable anyway, even without Robert!

Hi there Tricia. Thanxxx for uploading your photos from TCM's "THE BIRDS" event. (They came out reallllly nice). I think it's fantastic that TCM is doing these FREE events around the country for classic film buffs like us to see these great movies on the big screen and to actually see the film stars that appeared in these films. I mean, who does that?

Your pix look great! Now I saw TCM's free screening here in NYC of "THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE" with Robert Osborne ( :x ) interviewing the great ANGELA LANSBURY. I took my new iPOD Touch with me and videotaped the interview. Though the recording didn't come out as perfectly I wanted it to, I found it a great thrill just to see this living legend in person as herself (not as Auntie Mame or from Sweeney Todd) and to hear of her experience making a movie that seems to have such a prescient sense of what's going on in today's wacky political world.

Can you relate one or two things Ms. Hedren said? She looks fantastically glamorous in your shots. Did you wait a long time on line to get your front row seats? I know I did...and then got shy about sitting in the front row (my friend and I sat in the still very close third row) b'cuz I wasn't sure how TCM would feel about the cameras and picture/videotaking. (I'm going to the Film Fest in L.A. and I'm bringing my videocamera to that as well & plan to document my Western adventure).

One last thing. I'm a native New Yorker and you write:

"...but my Aunt worked at the box office in a movie theater in NYC so we saw everything for free..."

What movie theatre are you talking about? I've probably been to every theatre in Manhattan at least once, in my life. Just curious.

Oh...and as for the birds and "THE BIRDS", the movie gave me a very healthy respect for the species. Glad you had a good time. I think TCM is great for doing this for its fans.

I am so envious! That's the one "Road to Hollywood" event I would have loved! I was 8 when I saw the Birds (when it was new) and it's been a long-time favorite. It really made an impression. Wish they'd saved it, and Tippi Hedren, for the Film Festival. The only film in the series that was close to me was in Tampa. I chose to pass on that one. Thanks for sharing your great experience!

Hi 'TriciaNY' -

Someone finally posted about their "Road To Hollywood" experience and I am so glad it was you and that you had a wonderful time. Did Ms. Hedren tell the story about the doll?

*"HOWEVER, NO ROBERT OSBORNE! I was so bummed! Ben filled in."*

That's too bad. But.... could it be Ben has been watching *All ABout Eve* a bit too much lately and Robert was sitting in a car with an empty gas tank in the middle of Long Island? Hmmmm?

Great photos. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks everyone! I have a video of one of her stories..and I will elaborate and add more pics later. I have a lunch date~details later today.

It was the Heights Theater in Washington Heights 181 and Broadway I think? She worked there the 1940's to the mid 1970's. I was a tot in her latter years there and I saw Love Story. I thought everyone died that went to the hospital. I saw Planet of the Apes and every time I see the Statue of Liberty..I have a bad memory. LOL Not too severe, but am impressionable child.

I would have gone to Tampa to see Burt =)

She didn't mention the doll but she was wearing a pin Alfred gave her ;) More later~

http://gotham.fromthesquare.org/?p=257

Found this. I remember the theater was red. She lived on Wadsworth ave and walked across the street to work for 30 years...so simple then. LOL

Tippi was truly happy to be there and she is so thin and just was so personable! There were a few Q&A

Ok, more later. Glad you liked the pics. I thought I was too close~and I certainly was for the screen! My neck! LOL

Thanks for sharing. Wow, she looks great. Almost like she could be sisters with her daughter Melanie!

I don't care how many times I hear Alfred Hitchcock explain the special effects used to get those birds on the screen with the people, those scenes absolutely freak me out. Anytime I see a flock of birds of 20 or more I go in the other direction, they always seem suspicious - particularly near elementary schools!

Great pics TriciaNY! I also had the fortune of meeting Tippi a couple years ago. I live only about 30 minutes away from where they originally shot The Birds in Bodega Bay, CA. Every July 4th, Tippi appears at a local restaurant/market and for $20 you can get a picture with her or get a photograph signed by her. I went with a friend and got her to sign my "Birds" poster. All of the proceeds go to her animal rescue shelter. While were were all standing around talking, she told us about the animals in her shelter (mostly big cats) and she's named them all after her leading men!

Hibi, seeing Angela Lansbury was fantastic. She was just so down-to-earth. She talked a little about doing "GASLIGHT" and being so young and inexperienced. She said she was treated like she was an Actress by Cukor and Boyer & Bergman (and she was seventeen). She had hoped her career would have taken a different more "A" list route.

She was flattered and honored to be considered for the role of Mrs. Iselin in "The Manchurian Candidate" and that Laurence Harvey was a joy to work with and very different from his character of poor poor Raymond.

Back! LOL Long lunch date! Guess what happened to ME right after I left the boards and went out to lunch? I go to the gas station and while pumping gas the gulls are circling me. Birds. I am mesmerized by them and staring at them, and they remind of my Dad...not the least bit afraid and a HUGE screeching flapping raven swooped down toward me. OMG!!!!! I gasped and ducked and jumped in my car!

Then I laughed so hard!! Darn that Alfred!! LOL

So, Tippi does look lovely! Not her age at all.I would have guessed early 70's! Well, I didn't notice until I saw her in person, but Melanie is just like her, soft spoken and the same mannerisms! It was nice.

She had black shiny stilettos on! So thin and fabulous.

She said it costs her from donations about $75,000.00 to feed the lions and tigers, monthly! If we wanted to donate, she would gladly take it.

She told us that Alfred took her to Chasens when she got out to Hollywood and gave her a jewelry box from Gumps I think she said? She opened it and it contained a pin. Sea pearls and 3 gold BIRDS sitting on a branch. She showed it to us. We all laughed. She said she had no idea what idea he wanted to pitch to her..at the time. lol

She said the movie was fine, but the mechanical birds they promised her, were no good and they used real birds and the crew would literally throw the birds at her..and some of them were rubberbanded to her costume..that green suit dress, and that freaked her out. By the 5th day of filming, she had had it and broke down in tears.

She also said, while reading the script before filming, that the scene near the end where she hears the birds in the Brenner house..and everyone is asleep..she creeps up those stairs to the attic and opens the door..she was like what the heck would I do that for!? She approached Alfred and asked him why after all she'd seen, would Melanie do that?? He said, "Because I tell you to" and that was that. LOL

I am going to try and upload the video I took with my phone..be back

She named everyone's names..important people and crew members..she really is a nice modest person, and said that Alfred did indeed ruin her career since she did indeed reject him.

Off Subject, She said filming Marnie..she questioned Alfred on why and how could she "reject" Sean Connery..and how in the world would she ever reject Dr. No, the sexiest man alive in the movie since Marnie was so frigid but Tippi adored Sean? People would see her desire in her eyes..she said.... Alfred replied "It's called acting" LOL!! She said she didn't have a fling with Sean, but could have, and then she said she should have! ;)

Yes, very young looking! And still so gorgeous! Yes, I agree on the birds and near the schools! LOL My daughter age 16, went with me and I told her that she, when it is over, will never look at birds the same way.

I was right! She took the picture of the gull she had, on her cell phone, off. LOL She freaked out. But she was thrilled to see Tippi, not really knowing who she was, but after the movie, was like, that was COOL Mom! The star of that movie was there and we saw and old movie in like a real theater! She then said that it was great that an older movie with hardly any gore, could be so suspenseful and a real thriller.

WTG Alfred! =)