Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
audreyforever

Ann Miller? :(

I adore Ann Miller, she was gorgeous, a terrific tap dancer (one of the best at that) and full of acting talent. Why, oh Why did she never become a huge star??? She was always given supporting roles, and in some cheap movies too, excluding Easter Parade, Kiss Me Kate, etc.

Photographically speaking, her face wasn't beautiful. Cheeks too big. Recessive chin. High forehead. Lips not quite right.

>Photographically speaking, her face wasn't beautiful. Cheeks too big. Recessive chin. High forehead. Lips not quite right.

. . . all the wrong things in the right combination, somehow.

Faces can be perfect to the point of being forgettable. I always thought she was cute, but then now that I think of it, I'm usually watching her legs.

Maybe if she had been born sooner, she might have made more movies. She did alright for herself.

Edited by: LuckyDan on Apr 14, 2011 9:28 PM

Have to agree with FredCDobbs here, and I adore Ann Miller. (Male equivalent with loads of talent but strictly a supporting star: Gene Nelson.)

I consider myself fortunate as a young teenager on a group trip to New York to have seen her on Broadway in "Mame." She was terrific and afterwards signed autographs like a champ outside the theater.

Ann Miller had a lot of talent and advantages, because she was a great dancer. Her legs were perfect, and in fact her entire body shape was perfect. And notice that when she danced, she was usually seen in wide-angle shots, which takes emphasis off of her face.

As a professional news photographer, I studied faces all my life.

Ann Miller might have been a bigger lead romantic star if there never had been faces like Lana Turner, Ava Gardner, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, and about three dozen other women whose faces were magically "perfect".

What makes up a "perfect" face? I never was able to figure that out. It's still a mystery to me. And I still don't understand why people like Lana, Ava, Taylor, and Monroe can look so different, yet still seem to have "perfect" faces.

Very good analysis, Fred!

I wish she had gotten the lead in Take Me Out to the Ball Game and The Belle of New York, even though I adore Esther and Vera.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> What makes up a "perfect" face? I never was able to figure that out. It's still a mystery to me. And I still don't understand why people like Lana, Ava, Taylor, and Monroe can look so different, yet still seem to have "perfect" faces.

And it's still a mystery to me why people consider Taylor and Monroe to have "perfect" faces. Taylor's face seemed too angular to me--a pointed chin, cheeks too big, lips too big--some of the same attributes you ascribe to Ann Miller's face. When she was young, Taylor's face seemed to "taper down" too much--too full at the top, too narrow at the bottom, except for the prominent chin. I didn't find Taylor or Monroe attractive at all.

I much prefer Miller's well-rounded face.

AS ANY tcm FAN KNOWS SHE WAS BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE THE LOSS OF ELEANOR POWELL WHO RETIRED.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I'm reminded of the "Twilight Zone" episode, "...in the Eye of the Beholder"

I was actually thinking of the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as well as the Twilight Zone episode when I was writing my opinion. Also the Star Trek episodes "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" and "By Any Other Name." I'm definitely in the minority on what I consider a "perfect face."

Sound also had a lot to do with it for me. Monroe's voice sounded kind of wispy so it was hard for me to take her seriously. Taylor could sound screechy at times and it set my teeth on edge. Nevertheless, I realize she was a great actress and a wonderful humanitarian, regardless of my personal biases.

I think, for me, the "perfect face" in the movie biz was Veronica Lake.

> {quote:title=doctorxx wrote:}{quote}

> AS ANY tcm FAN KNOWS SHE WAS BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE THE LOSS OF ELEANOR POWELL WHO RETIRED.

Yet, Eleanor got a ton of lead roles...

>What makes up a "perfect" face? I never was able to figure that out. It's still a mystery to me. And I still don't understand why people like Lana, Ava, Taylor, and Monroe can look so different, yet still seem to have "perfect" faces.

That's just it!

What I meant by "faces can be perfect to the point of being forgettable" is that NOTHING is wrong with them. Nothing is too high, or too big, or too low, or not enough. Everything is just right. Nothing to take note of. Or remember.

As for "perfect" faces, the faces that capture the average person are those that are first and foremost symmetrical. Then, if there are any "deviations", they are "positive" ones like wide set eyes, small bow mouth, high forehead (ex: Ida Lupino, Liz Taylor)....but only by millimeters! "Positive" variations are those that make a face look "childlike". The least liked faces are those with noticeable side to side differences incorporating "evil" deviations such as close set eyes, long distance between nose & upper lip, etc (ex: Stephen King)

We are genetically programmed to "read" these millimeter differences unconsciously. The best example of a perfect face is Garbo. I'm convinced that's what fueled her stardom. And as a previous poster suggested, perfect faces are often _so_ perfect, they're bland. I think of Grace Kelly.

Ann Miller's face was not traditionally movieland beautiful, but I love her wide face, big sparkling eyes and grande smile. And yes, she had a gorgeous, perfect figure, something I believe held back low bottomed Eleanor Powell from being a bigger star.

I think Ann Miller's demand that she ALWAYS dance alone on screen limited her dance routines and therefore her use in musicals whose popularity was waning by that time anyway. Thank GM Cohan for Broadway.

Sophia Loren has FAR from a perfect face. There are all sorts of things technically wrong with it, but I'm certainly not complaining.

>And as a previous poster suggested, perfect faces are often so perfect, they're bland. I think of Grace Kelly.

Good example. And a great post, Soo. I did not know Ann Miller insisted on dancing solo. I never even noticed it.

> {quote:title=LuckyDan wrote:}{quote}

> I did not know Ann Miller insisted on dancing solo. I never even noticed it.

She did dance with the caveman statue in ON THE TOWN, sorta. I never noticed it either until my Mom pointed it out.

When I watched NATIONAL VELVET yesterday I noticed how incredibly symmetrical Mickey Rooney's face was. He showed both his top & bottom teeth when speaking too, another big subliminal "attraction" for a viewer.

So Ann Miller never danced with a male partner? She didn't dance with Astaire in EASTER PARADE? I don't recall.....Low bottomed? Hmmmmm......

Edited by: finance on Apr 17, 2011 3:00 PM

There are a couple of musical numbers in "On the Town" where Ms.Miller participates with the rest of the cast. And there is a song in "Hit the Deck" that she sings with Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell,although it does not contain any dancing. And speaking of "Easter Parade", doesn't she perform "It Only Happens When I Dance with You" with Fred Astaire?

Terrence.

Well, I'm sure any dancer would make an exception in Fred's case.

Here's a YT tribute vid, not comprehensive of course, but she did seem to do a lot of solo work.

In watching "National Velvet" (I forgot how good it was) & seeing a young Angela Lansbury, I was reminded of this thread as she had a rather plump face too, as Miller did, & I'm sure she was considered beautiful. It also struck me in hearing Elizabeth Taylor speaking as an 11 - 12 year old, that the reason I never liked her voice as a big star was that it didn't seem to mature. She always sounded like a child, with the possible exception of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?" in which she did a lot of yelling & ranting & one gets caught up in the dialogue.