Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Free at Last! Buck Rogers on TCM Saturday Mornings Starting Sat. April 23!

voranis

With apologies to markbeckuaf for using his phrase...it's my turn to groove!

According to my April issue of Now Playing, Buck Rogers is supposed to start next Saturday, April 23, at 11 a.m. I don't see it in the online schedule, but I'm hoping this is just another error from the online schedule overhaul problems.

Free at last (I hope..if Now Playing is accurate) from The Bowery Boys! I did not care for them, their humor was too silly. Finally, the return of some old science fiction to TCM. I enjoyed the Superman serials they showed on Saturday mornings a few years ago. I did not care for the 70's Buck Rogers and I have not seen the Buster Crabbe Buck Rogers before, but I am looking forward to it and hoping it is good. At this point I am desperate for old B&W sci fi.

The first two chapters are supposed to air Saturday, April 23 at 11 a.m., with Tomorrow's World at 11 a.m. and Tragedy on Saturn at 11:30 a.m. There's hardly anywhere I can watch old (non-horror) sci-fi these days. Even when the former Sci Fi Channel used to run old sci fi, it wasn't uncut and commercial-free. Now they are the Sy Fy Channel and most of what they show is modern indie horror films with too much blood and gore.

Looking forward to seeing old sci fi serials again on Saturday mornings on TCM!

Robbie

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Two episodes are shown on the Zap2it schedule for TCM.

>

> http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?fromTimeInMillis=1303444800000&stnNum=12852&channel=256&sgt=grid

>

> It also lists upcoming episodes on 4-30:

>

> http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/buck-rogers/EP00039008

Yep, Now Playing lists two episodes on Saturday, April 30:

11 a.m. The Enemy's Stronghold (Chapter 3)

11:30 a.m. The Sky Patrol (Chapter 4)

Wonder why they are not showing up in the TCM online schedule? It's been soooo accurate lately. I just can't imagine...I just can't guess... :D

Yeah, I already saw the listings on Zap2It and TitanTV and IMDB, but it could be that TCM has dropped Buck Rogers and the listings services don't have the update from TCM yet, just as there is no way for TCM to retroactively correct the hardcopies of Now Playing that have already gone out. However, I think it's more likely that the TCM online schedule isn't accurate. I don't know exactly why I would think that... :D

I have my May issue of Now Playing, and it lists:

Sat. May 7:

11 a.m. The Phantom Plane (Chapter 5)

11:30 a.m. The Unknown Command (Chapter 6)

Sat. May 14:

11 a.m. Primitive Urge (Chapter 7)

11:30 a.m. Revolt of the Zuggs (Chapter 8)

Sat. May 21:

11 a.m. Bodies Without Minds (Chapter 9)

11:30 a.m. Broken Barriers (Chapter 10)

Robbie

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> While I totally grooved to The Bowery Boys (and would love to see them on a DVD set now!), I'm also totally grooving to the serial about to kick off next week!!

Even though it wasn't my cup of tea, I hope they release The Bowery Boys on a groovy DVD for you! :-)

Robbie

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> What happened to the serials BUCK ROGERS and ACE DRUMMOND???

I don't know about Ace Drummond, but as I said in my original post, I believe Buck Rogers is still going to air, it's just missing in the online schedule, probably due to some problem related to the schedule web site overhaul.

If you look at the schedule for Saturday, April 23, you will see that Phantom Lady starts at 9:30 a.m. and its running time is 87 minutes. That means it will end at 10:57 a.m. This leaves a gap of over an hour before Tarzan Finds a Son starts at noon. According to Now Playing, Buck Rogers is supposed to air from 11 a.m. to noon, so I expect it is still going to air and the online schedule is just not showing it.

Robbie

I printed out monthly schedules just before TCM replaced their website. My printout shows two Buck Rogers episodes every Saturday morning from April 23 through May 21, ten in all. They are listed to start at 8:00 am and 8:30 am Pacific time.

I agree with Robbie's analysis; there's a gap in the schedule just the right size to accommodate two 20-minute episodes.

I really enjoyed the first two chapters of Buck Rogers followed by Tarzan. I read that Star Trek used some devices in the Buck Rogers serial like the transporter. Sure enough, there it was. After Tarzan I caught an Abbott & Costello movie and napped a little through a Francis the Talking Mule film on another channel. Saturday TV hasn't been this cool in years.

I did enjoy the Bowery Boys. I'd buy a DVD set if it came out. I've seen bootleg sets on eBay but not interested in that.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> Prince Tallen is being played by Philmon Ahn. Is this the Phillip Ahn who was in so many 50's and 60's movies and TV shows or a kinsman? I can see the older actor I remember in him.

No, Prince Tallen was played by Philson Ahn, brother of Philip (seven years his senior).

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}

> Yes,it is good to see Buck Rogers on the schedule, but what is more disappointing is to see TCM drop its plans to air Ace Drummond.

My guess is they have not been able to come up with acceptable materials. BUCK ROGERS is a beautiful 35mm reissue print. I have one of the few original 16mm prints of ACE DRUMMOND. I have never heard of a 35mm print being extant.

One of the problems is that both ACE DRUMMOND and THE PHANTOM CREEPS have fallen into the public domain, so there is less impetus for money to be spent on searching for, finding and preserving 35mm materials. I have no idea if the Library of Congress has 35mm materials on these serials.

These prints are gorgeous!

And, as always, Buddy does the heavy lifting and Buck gets the credit.

I love Buck Rogers!

I saw a couple of the episodes on the big screen at the Academy and they didn't look this beautiful.

And now, thanks to TCM, I get to see the entire serial and talk about the eppys! Thanks TCM!

Thank you TCM!

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes of Buck Rogers. As others have commented, the prints are beautiful. I've seen some of the Flash Gordon serial episodes, but I don't remember seeing Buck Rogers before.

But now we need to wait a whole week to find out what happened to Buck, Buddy and Wilma at the end of *Tragedy on Saturn*. How could they possibly have survived?

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> These prints are gorgeous!

>

> And, as always, Buddy does the heavy lifting and Buck gets the credit.

>

> I love Buck Rogers!

>

> I saw a couple of the episodes on the big screen at the Academy and they didn't look this beautiful.

>

> And now, thanks to TCM, I get to see the entire serial and talk about the eppys! Thanks TCM!

I agree on all counts! The prints were outrageously pristine, wow! It's a great serial, and I'm glad to see it (first time)!!! TCM rocks!

As mandog said, I was impressed by the transporter. Most of the "science fiction" was completely implausible, but I was surprised to see a transporter used so many years before Star Trek.

I wonder if Buddy was the inspiration for Captain America's sidekick Bucky, a few years later in comic books.

There seem to be a lot of concepts in this serial that inspired others. Especially, Flash Gordon, which was created as direct competition for Buck Rogers.