Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Next two months schedule - where are they?

Apparently some changes have been made here at the TCM web site. I can no longer find the advance schedule. I really liked the other version of the current month's schedule. I do not like the way it is with the change. Have the advance schedules been eliminated? If not, where can I find them?

bring up the full monthly schedule for April. In the address bar at the top of your screen, delete the "4" and replace it with "5" for the May schedule, 6 for June, and now 7 for July is also available.

You aren't alone in disliking all the changes. However you can also get the program information for a three month period using the daily schedules..

Click on "schedule, then "full daily schedule" then if you click on the small arrow in the box with today's date in it you'll be able to choose whatever date you want for the next three months starting with today. So being this is April 16th you'll be able go as far as July 15th. Tomorrow is the 17th and you can go to the 16th, etc. Each day's schedule has left and right arrows at the bottom so you can go forward or back to see other days..

I know it's more complicated than before, but at least the information is there.

Edited by: markfp2 on Apr 16, 2011 11:11 PM

Has it escaped everyone who is posting here that the full month schedules, whose URLs have not changed and have already been published some time ago, NOW mysteriously (without any announcement) contain brief one-line descriptions of each movie?

Let me repeat, for those of you who are asleep at the switch: EACH ITEM IN THE LIST *NOW* CONTAINS A VERY BRIEF DESCRIPTION!

Will Wonders never cease?

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where unannounced changes slip in while you are not looking

Despite your word "only," this does not finish the job of screwed-up schedule listings. There is still the problem of incorrect day of the month listings for the schedules in the various time zones. As I have said here before, the first item listing (in a monthly schedule in some specific time zone) for a new day of the month must be the *first movie that is scheduled after 12:00 AM.* It simply will not do for a movie starting at 2:00 AM, for example, to show up before the date change appears in the schedule listing.

This is a simple concept, but the people who are supposed to get this mess straightened out do not seem to have any intention of fixing this error. I should point out that this glaring error occurred before the trashing of the older method of schedule listings.

When TCM fixes *this* problem (instead of running and hiding from it) I will shut up about this business--and not before, unless of course the TCM censor comes along and deletes my post, for fear that I am calling attention to an inexcusable listing error.

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are never what they seem to be

Okay, "only" wasn't the best word choice. The schedule has lots of other problems, but to me, LB designations are the next most pressing. But, I'm not Canadian... :)

As much as I would like TCM to start their listing day at midnight, I doubt that it will ever happen. Starting the day at 6am (or sometimes 5am) has long been a standard of the industry. Think of it this way - if someone said that a film is on at midnight tonight, you'd know when it is. But, if the listings changed at midnight, technically, the film would be on at midnight tomorrow. That would confuse everyone.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Starting the day at 6am (or sometimes 5am) has long been a standard of the industry.

ONLY WHEN TV STATIONS SIGNED OFF THE AIR BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND SIGNED BACK ON AT 6 AM.

LIKE, DOH, 1952.

I just went to the links that Fred provided, and while they're a big improvement over what we've had for the past 6 weeks, they're still MUCH less workable than what we had before that.

I used to be able to copy and paste the next two months' schedule as a word document, saving it as*"2011 [Month #] TCM complete schedule."* Since there were no borders between the lines, it was then relatively easy to make up a personalized schedule by just re-copying the movies I wanted to watch, and saving them as a separate word document. Since there were no borders between each show, it was a very compact and printable document.

With this new format, the whole appearance is a lot clunkier, and although I can work backwards to personalize the schedule by deletion instead of copying, I can't delete each time slot's bordering spaces, meaning that instead of being able to have a relatively compact personalized schedule to print, it now takes up far more pages, and consists of a lot of blank spaces in between the movies I plan to watch. Not to mention that you need a magnifying glass to read the tiny type.

I honestly can't understand why they don't just restore the old format, which NOBODY complained about and which worked like a charm. This is better than New Coke, but that's not saying much.

Edited by: AndyM108 on Apr 18, 2011 8:58 PM

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > Starting the day at 6am (or sometimes 5am) has long been a standard of the industry.

>

> ONLY WHEN TV STATIONS SIGNED OFF THE AIR BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND SIGNED BACK ON AT 6 AM.

>

> LIKE, DOH, 1952.

Not "ONLY," Fred, but still. Yes, that is obviously the reason. Much as I wish they would, I doubt that they will change any time soon. And, if they did, I'd bet that a lot of folks our age would complain.

Unless you can show me that TCM went to midnight day changes, and then went back to 6am, it it STIll still. :P

Well, I'll have to check the TV guide that comes with my paper. But, up until probably about 5 or six years ago, that was the case with the newspaper TV guide, and a mailed monthly one I used to get. Also, with Comcast, until a guide supplier change a couple of years ago, spring and fall time changes didn't take place until 6am. Fortunately, that changed.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

>

> Well, I'll have to check the TV guide that comes with my paper. But, up until probably about 5 or six years ago, that was the case with the newspaper TV guide, and a mailed monthly one I used to get. Also, with Comcast, until a guide supplier change a couple of years ago, spring and fall time changes didn't take place until 6am. Fortunately, that changed.

Show us some examples.

You said, "Starting the day at 6am (or sometimes 5am) has long been a standard of the industry."

So, if it's a "standard of the industry", then you should be able to show us a bunch of other examples.

ValentineXavier says:

Starting the day at 6am (or sometimes 5am) has long been a standard of the industry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not only irrelevant but also nonsensical.

TCM operates around the clock, and we are talking about a schedule listing which *MUST* reflect this fact.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

This is of course what we must expect when we live here in Wonderland, where things are never what they seem to be--a perfect example of the mentality which pervades this fantasyland. I cannot believe that TCM is seriously leaving the date and day of the week screwed up in the schedule for the reason stated. Perhaps the person responsible for this should show up here in this forum and explain it to us.

That'll be the day (or night, of course, with no timeout between midnight and 6:00 AM).

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

forever more

You are correct in every detail of your criticism. The reduced printing margins, the smaller type, the gross waste of paper space (is TCM in cahoots with the paper industry?) all seem to point to a stubborn TCM irresponsibility that just wants to assert that it has the ability to do all of this with no logical reason whatsoever. There is nothing to recommend these changes in the schedule format. NOTHING.

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things get more and more absurd every day

What's doubly frustrating about all this is that (a) we were promised six weeks ago that the old monthly schedule formats would at least be offered as AN OPTION; and (B) nobody out there has yet explained the NECESSITY for these changes. Since many of us saved the May schedule in the old format, that gives us just over five weeks to hope and pray that someone up there is actually paying attention, and that someone will finally come to his or her senses.

The closest analogy I can think of to all this is when I was in high school, a baseball teammate of mine, who was about as fast as a snail, tried to steal second base in our team's last inning with the other team four runs ahead. When he got thrown out by ten feet and came back to face our angry coach, his explanation was "I just wanted to shake up their pitcher." That seems to have been about the level of wisdom that went into these new formats.

WISDOM?

This word is hardly applicable to the TCM individual who is responsible for this situation is thumbing her nose at all of us. The single most descriptive word is ARROGANCE.

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where the Hatter is busy, busy, busy

Fred-

Thank you to you and Valentine for the trick to printing future months. I was able to tweak it one further by changing "tz=est" to "tz=pst" to get it to print in Pacific time. It still says "All times Eastern" in the heading, so I ignore that.

I needed 54 pages to print June with the new format, compared with the 42 pages I used for May with the old format.

-Clay

> {quote:title=clay8pdx wrote:}{quote}

> Fred-

> Thank you to you and Valentine for the trick to printing future months. I was able to tweak it one further by changing "tz=est" to "tz=pst" to get it to print in Pacific time. It still says "All times Eastern" in the heading, so I ignore that.

>

> I needed 54 pages to print June with the new format, compared with the 42 pages I used for May with the old format.

> -Clay

Is this before or after the schedule format was recently changed to include a short content description of each item on the list? Have you tried printing this out with "before" and "after" the addition of the descriptions? Or perhaps you are not aware that the same list has come in these two different formats. Although adding the brief description is certainly an improvement, the problem with this new format will still remain: there is a lot of wasted space by empty lines where empty lines are unnecessary for reading clarity, and with extra-wide margins, which chew up more space.

incredibull